Old 06-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put a poly trans mount in my newer tas 96,97 and current 99 and it was horrible for vibration and noise..took them out.All my body mounts are of course shot on the 80 so was thinking poly as seen what happens to rubber after 23 years..So will they squeak and are they harsh..only interested in poly for bodymounts and possibly leaf pads and some other bushings in suspension.Just put in new rubber tranny mount.

80TA,pontiac 400,edelbrock carb,accel wires,dual exhaust,dynomax mufflers,no cats.
CE subframe connectors.

99TAWS6 ..lots of mods.

80TAWS6,400,edelbrock 750 carb/performer rpm intake/crane cam and lifters,/magnum 1.52 rocker arms/comp pushrods/arp rocker studs,cloyes double roller,crower valve springs,ias shocks,msdl wires,dual exhaust,flo pro mufflers mufflers,turbo 400, 2400 nitrous holeshot,3.42 strange gears.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put a poly trans mount in my newer tas 96,97 and current 99 and it was horrible for vibration and noise..took them out.All my body mounts are of course shot on the 80 so was thinking poly as seen what happens to rubber after 23 years..So will they squeak and are they harsh..only interested in poly for bodymounts and possibly leaf pads and some other bushings in suspension.Just put in new rubber tranny mount.

80TA,pontiac 400,edelbrock carb,accel wires,dual exhaust,dynomax mufflers,no cats.
CE subframe connectors.

99TAWS6 ..lots of mods.

80TAWS6,400,edelbrock 750 carb/performer rpm intake/crane cam and lifters,/magnum 1.52 rocker arms/comp pushrods/arp rocker studs,cloyes double roller,crower valve springs,ias shocks,msdl wires,dual exhaust,flo pro mufflers mufflers,turbo 400, 2400 nitrous holeshot,3.42 strange gears.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poly body mounts will be fine, won't squeak, and won't be too harsh. They'll feel alot firmer than what you have now, but so woukld new rubber bushings.

Stay away from poly bushings for the front suspension, go with rubber, or if your have about $250 just for bushings, the DelaLum is the way to go (they're greasable).

Old 06-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

The trick to keep those poly bushings from squeaking is to use white lithium grease, not that crap that usually comes with them. Lithium grease stays on a lot longer and doesn't wash off easily. With that sticky crap grease that comes with the bushings, when it get's hot it melts down and runs off. Lithium grease doesn't do that. I've used this method for many years, and never had a squeak problem. Then again, maybe that's just me.

- AX
77 Trans Am Restoration Journal

[This message was edited by Aeolian_x on June 10, 2003 at 01:42 AM.]

Old 06-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ordered some poly graphite bodymounts..the graphite impregnated poly is supposed to be self lubricating and not squeak.Had a ride in a car with black poly graphite in front end and bodymounts and was listening very careful for any squeaks or vibrations..Car handled great and felt nice and tight.So looks like polygraphite for me.

80TA,pontiac 400,edelbrock carb,accel wires,dual exhaust,dynomax mufflers,no cats,3.42 gears.CE subframe connectors to be installed.On order B&M quicksilver.
15.1 at 96mph 2.47 60ft uncorrected tazzo vpc.

99TAWS6 ..lots of mods.13.35 at
109 2.27 60ft uncorrected tazzo vpc.
1900 ft altitude.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:35 PM

No poly or aluminum(better) will not make your ride harsh. They stiffen up that flexable body and make the suspension actually do the work that the body ws doing before. Any harshness you feel will be the result of tired suspension pieces such as shocks and springs.

81 Turbo Trans AM (nascar edition)
71 Camaro

Old 06-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How can a worn out suspension feel "harsh"?