Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 62 Tempest LeMans with 215 V8

After much deliberation, I am selling my 62 Tempest. I really love this car, and planned to put a 400 in it, but there's just no way I am going to be able to tackle such a large project in the next couple of years. If I don't get my price, I'll just park it in the back yard until I get to it.

I bought the car in 1997 from an old lady (it had been her husband's). They had parked it in 1970 because they thought the block was cracked. It had 74,000 miles on it. It turned out to have 2 bad freeze plugs. I have put almost 90,000 miles on the car, and it is getting tired....

The good:
The car is very straight, and nearly rust free (there's a little on the driver quarter - that's all I know of). It has the 215 V8 - not original to the car, but the whole setup was taken from another 62 Tempest sometime prior to 1970. It is an A/C car. It even has the very hard to find Tempest-only V8 A/C brackets (Buick and Olds were different from what I have seen).. It needs the compressor and the condenser, as well as new hoses. I put a Scarebird disc brake conversion on it, with a 2-reservoir master cylinder, so it stops well. I put new bearings on the driveshaft about 4 years ago (less than 10,000 miles). It comes with a spare rear clip from a 4-door and a bunch of extra parts (extra transmission, subframes, steering box, and lots of random small parts). It comes with all 3 factory service manuals and some advertising literature.

The bad:
The engine needs a rebuild. It has a nasty oil leak (rear main I think), and a lower end knock when you start it up. It needs paint and interior. It needs a windshield.

I want $3000 for it. It has been a great car; my daily driver for the last 12 years. I love this car, but like I said, it is getting to the point where it needs work and I don't have the time right now, and I have other projects I need to finish.
I am attaching one picture, please email for more photos and information.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3239.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	164104  

Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

did I miss the trans?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, it's the 2 speed automatic. I don't think they offered a stick with the 215.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, how our plans change....I had decided to keep the car, since nobody wanted it, but now I am likely moving out of state, and I need to downsize. Anybody want the car for $1500?
Importsmasher

Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SOLD!!!!!