Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ramair4 View Post
What do you have to lose by trying what I suggested? Ten minutes maybe? If there is a bad cylinder, do as I said earlier pull a plug wire off one at time. The motor will tell you which one it needs, or doesn't. If it chugs and spits it needs that cylinder, if nothing changes, guess what that's the cylinder that is just along for the ride!
I'd try this if I could get the car to start. Today, out of nowhere the car decided it was going to crank, but not fire... this is after i was able to fire it up several times earlier today.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Ok, its not the fuel. I drained all of the old fuel, and put some fresh stuff in there. Problem is still there. Then, out of nowhere the car decides its just going to crank and crank, but not start. Great. Checked the coil, there is power to the coil, but no spark coming from the coil wire. So I replaced the coil and wire with new ones. Nope, still wont start.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just put a new set of points in it.
Doesn't matter if they look good.

When I still ran points in my TA, every year I'd have to put a new set in, even though I just ran it once a year.

Went to a Unilite and never looked back.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Chief

Talking Misfire and occasional carb backfire

Your condenser has failed.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Still chasing this issue. Extreme frustration is setting in. New coil, condenser, points, plugs, wires, timing, cleaned carb, still runs like ****. It feels more like its running on 7 cylinders from 2k rpm up to 4k rather than a misfire. From Idle up to 2k rpm the car seems to run great, but once it passes 2k rpm it feels like it starts running on 7 cyl's. I could floor the throttle under no load and it wont climb past 4k rpm, feels like its running on 7 cylinders, and will randomly backfire from the carb, but not very often. Tried 67ramair4's idea to pull the wires off one at a time, and the car ran the same regardless which wire was pulled off, regardless of RPM as well, there was no difference in the way the car ran when each wire was pulled.

Does this maybe sound like a fuel issue? Vac advance? The carb was rebuilt before it sat the distributor is brand new.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM

My little brain says check for flat cam...sorry.

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^ Yep.

Or broken valve springs?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates