Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ames Customer Service

Bought a matched lock set that the ignition and door key should be the same but guess what?
The same key will only work on ignition and won’t open doors.
I called Ames over a week ago and was told they would look into it and call me back the next day
No call in a week and it’s holding up the restoration
I give Ames mostly all my business and if I totaled up what I bought from them in the last 18 months I would be shocked
I guess I have to start looking for other sellers now
All the parts are the same anyway coming from the same sources

Old 06-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Administrator

As far as not getting a call back, did you call once or multiple times? You do realize that there are some extreme challenges that business's like Ames have been dealing with that makes it almost impossible to maintain the same level of customer service you have always been use to.

The question you asked also does not have a simple boiler plate answer. They may have had to reach out to us or go do some research on your application. Combine that with the busiest Spring season in the history of this hobby (everyone is home ordering online), staff working from home, compromised communications, suppliers like us also having limited staff and you should be able to understand that it is possible that you didn't get the service you have normally come to expect.

Not to hijack this thread but did you see that Amazon is still quoting 3 week delivery time on many of their orders as apposed to the next day that many of us are accustomed to?

btw, not all parts are coming from the same source. That was true 20 years ago but now there are 2 and 3 different mfg's for almost everything. In the case of the locks, there's probably 5 or 6 different ways to get a set of locks like that. All with varying qualities. We would know because we're the the company that make those locks for Ames. :)

What year is your vehicle and what part number did you order? I can tell you whether the lock is defective, the wrong sku or whether you got the right lock set in the first place.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am a business owner myself and fully aware and understand all the challenges in these crazy unprecedented times. I simple email to saying they still don’t have an answer but are working on it would be fine. At least I would know my issue wasn’t forgotten.
As your last paragraph states, if you can tell me if the lock is defective, wrong SKU or wrong part by my year then why couldn’t they tell me this the phone in the first place
I have a 67. I gave the woman on the phone all the part #s but can look it up again if you can help out
Thanks

Old 06-17-2020, 11:02 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
I am a business owner myself and fully aware and understand all the challenges in these crazy unprecedented times. I simple email to saying they still don’t have an answer but are working on it would be fine. At least I would know my issue wasn’t forgotten.
As your last paragraph states, if you can tell me if the lock is defective, wrong SKU or wrong part by my year then why couldn’t they tell me this the phone in the first place
I have a 67. I gave the woman on the phone all the part #s but can look it up again if you can help out
Thanks
If you can please dm me your customer information and who you originally spoke with, I will resolve the issue. Thank you!

Old 06-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I simple email to saying they still don’t have an answer but are working on it would be fine. At least I would know my issue wasn’t forgotten.

Thanks
I totally understand. Ignorance and silence is the worst feeling. I'm just saying it was more likely 2 staff thinking the other person had it covered. Something like that. I know that crew at Ames. I just can't imagine any of them would ever purposely blow you off even if they didn't have an answer.

that being said, your 67 should have a matching ignition and door set. However, we make (and Ames also stocks), a set that matches the doors and trunk together while leaving the ignition by itself. We also make a set where the same key does the entire car! With the part number, either I or the Ames support staff can then tell you if it is defective or maybe pulled wrong.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks
I am not bashing Ames at all
Just get frustrated at times but it’s when you step up to make it right Like you are doing now it’s the reason why I am a loyal customer and Ames is always my go to first

Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks
I am not bashing Ames at all
Just get frustrated at times but it’s when you step up to make it right Like you are doing now it’s the reason why I am a loyal customer and Ames is always my go to first
Just for the record; Ames and Max Performance are two totally separate companies. Max (and your host of these forums) just happens to be the manufacturer of your lock set. Ames Tech is now aware of your situation and is asking you to reach out to him via PM.

I am participating because it's our lock set and I'd like you to be happy with your lock set. :)

They are participating because they care about all their customers. That's why they are the title sponsor of these forums. So they also would like you to be happy with your lock set purchase. :)

So PM Ames-Tech to get the ball rolling and if you happen to be able to have the part number you got, I can at least tell you what the next step should probably be.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All good with Ames Performance
They are still my #1 go to
Customer service has been stellar
I buy 99% from them on my current restoration
And they always come through