THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:34 AM

From Hot Rod Mag - some great history

1 965 Pontiac GTO Ram Air VII - Seventh Heaven
This Subtle, Yet Mean '65 GTO Features A Dual-Quad 428ci Ram Air VII Engine

What's the best way to showcase your buildup of one of the rarest engines in Pontiac history? How about vintage hot rod meets Factory Experimental in one of the Division's hottest models? That's what Nunzi Romano was thinking when he built this '65 GTO.

Most any enthusiast following fast Pontiacs within the past four decades is likely familiar with Nunzi, as his contributions helped carry the Pontiac performance torch during the dark days of the '70s and '80s. His personal story isn't one that's well known, however.

Nunzi was born in Southern Italy and studied automotive mechanics, cutting his teeth on high-end Italian race cars. He immigrated to America in the late-'50s and has called Brooklyn, New York, home ever since. His first Pontiac, a '55 two-door sedan, was purchased from the Brooklyn-area Pontiac dealer at which he worked, and he began tinkering to improve its performance. His immediate success gained him notoriety as a performance guru with the hot-rod crowd, which led to the opening of his own specialty garage.

As was much of America in the early-'60s, Nunzi, too, was enamored with Pontiac's Super-Duty program, and the GTO when it debuted in 1964. "Pontiac was on top at the time, and I remember talking to a salesman at the dealership about the GTO before it came out," the retired engine builder recalls. "He told me that it was a performance model with scoops on the hood, and that's all I had to hear. I ordered a Starlight Black '64 with a 389 Tri-Power and four-speed manual transmission. I really liked the car and raced it all the time, but the '65 GTO is my favorite."

General Motors' corporate edict on factory-backed racing eliminated the Super-Duty program, so Engineering fought back and introduced super-strong street engines, including the GTO's 389 Tri-Power in '64, the 400 H.O. and Ram Air in '67, the R/A-II in '68, the R/A-IV in '69, the 455 H.O in '71 and the SD-455 in '73 for the Firebird. The 421 H.O. and 428 H.O.s motivated the quick Big-Cars of the day. Many owners brought such Pontiacs to Nunzi for his magic touch, and though they ran well in stock trim, minor tweaking extracted even more performance from them--a feat noticed by members of Pontiac's engineering team.

A Bit Of R/A-V History.
Competition amongst manufacturers was fierce in those days, and Pontiac had a reputation as a performance leader. The maximum-performance combination, dubbed "R/A-V," was Engineering's attempt at maintaining its status. Conceptually designed as a 400 (but also available in 303 and 366 ci), the R/A-V featured a reinforced block with four-bolt main caps and forged-steel internals. It was topped by newly developed Tunnel-Port cylinder heads like those Ford used with large, round intake ports and individually spaced exhausts. The combination included a high-lift mechanical camshaft, a cast-aluminum intake manifold, and a Holley carburetor. It was a true high-performance mill with 7,000-rpm capability.

Most likely due to emission regulations and internal procurement, the R/A-V program was abruptly cancelled as it neared introduction. No such engine was ever installed into a production vehicle, but because most components of the combination had been cast and their part numbers cataloged, assembled engines and individual components were sold over the parts counter for several years.

Acquiring The Parts
Nunzi took immediate interest in the R/A-V and began accumulating many of the unique components that remain in his collection today. "I purchased several complete R/A-V engines and cylinder heads back then. I also picked up a few different R/A-V intake manifolds, including a dual-quad tunnel ram and a medium-rise, dual-plane dual-quad unit that's extremely rare. I think it was a prototype used by Pontiac for testing. Others may exist, but I've never seen or heard of one

"I used to talk with a few of Pontiac engineers who were involved with the R/A-V project in those days, and they told me of the combinations that Engineering was working on to beat the competition. I remember hearing about the R/A-VI--a modified 428ci block with R/A-V top-end and a single four-barrel carburetor. The R/A-VII was a dual four-barrel version of that. I don't think either engine made it past testing, though."

Nunzi dreamed of building a unique engine using many of the R/A-V components he owned. "I wanted to put a real piece of Pontiac history into a car that I could take to local shows or cruises, and national Pontiac events, and to play around with. I never really had the time when I was working but had the chance to make that happen when I retired." What better way to create his tribute to Pontiac than by building his own R/A-VII engine?

The Powerplant
Beginning with a modified four-bolt 428ci block, Nunzi bored it 0.035 inch to 4.155 inches and filled the cylinders with forged-aluminum Venolia pistons, Speed-Pro plasma-moly rings, and forged-steel, stock-length Crower connecting rods. A modified Super-Duty 421 forged-steel crankshaft with a 4.05-inch stroke round out the reciprocating assembly, which creates a total displacement of 440 ci.

Atop the engine rests an N.O.S. pair of No. 44 R/A-V cylinder heads that, as Nunzi says, "were laying around since day one." They feature large intake ports that peak around 325-350 cfm at 28 inches of pressure at maximum valve lift. These units retain their original 2.19-inch-diameter intake and 1.73-inch-diameter exhaust valves but feature modern Crower valve springs and titanium retainers. Combustion chamber volume measures 70 cc, yielding a compression ratio of 12.5:1.

Crower supplied a custom solid-roller camshaft with 260/265 degrees of 0.050-inch duration on a 108-degree lobe center and 0.650-inch valve lift when combined with the company's 1.6:1 ratio shaft-mounted rocker arms. In addition to specifying valve timing, Nunzi also had Crower install a cast-iron distributor drive gear and machine all five journals to accept roller bearings.

Authenticating the R/A-VII project is a super-rare, dual-plane, dual-quad intake manifold that's complemented by a pair of Holley carburetors. At the heart of the ignition system is a modified points-type distributor with a Mallory No. 102X points set. An MSD Blaster 2 canister-type coil generates spark, which Taylor wires transmit to a set of AC Delco R43S plugs. Total spark lead of 35 degrees is reached by 2,000 rpm.

Vehicle Selection
As the engine project neared completion, Nunzi sought the perfect vehicle for it. In his collection was a low-mileage '65 GTO that was originally equipped exactly as he'd have ordered it. Once Montero Red with black interior, it boasted of a 389ci Tri-Power engine, M21 four-speed manual transmission, 3.90 gearing, a Safe-T-Track differential, aluminum front brake drums with metallic brake linings, heavy-duty fan, Custom Sport wood steering wheel, and Rally gauges.

Nunzi first became acquainted with the GTO during the '80s when a customer brought it to him for an engine build. "The car was drag raced all its life," he says. "The body was very straight and rust-free, but the original engine and transmission were gone. I built a high-horsepower 455 for the owner, and he had me install a rollcage in it. He sold the car a few years later, and I ended up with it in the late '90s. It was just too clean and unique for me to pass up."

The dual-quad R/A-VII was an experimental engine developed and tested by Pontiac Engineering. Nunzi re-created it by using a modified 428ci block, R/A-V cylinder heads, and an experimental intake manifold.
Nunzi and son Tony disassembled the GTO and mediablasted its body to bare metal. With the help of Matthew Demma, they repaired all the imperfections. "I wanted the car to look like a vintage hot rod," Nunzi says. "You know, in black primer like the '49 Fords and '50s Pontiacs I used to see in the '60s. I also wanted to take it to shows but didn't want to worry about it getting scratched." Tony assembled a makeshift paint booth in Nunzi's shop where he and Matthew applied several coats of PPG Hot Rod Black--a modern matte finish that replicates the look of vintage black primer.

Once completely painted, the crew reassembled the GTO. With the R/A-VII engine resting between the frame rails, Nunzi installed a 30-pound steel flywheel, a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and pressure-plate assembly, and a BorgWarner Super T-10 four-speed manual transmission with nickel gears and a 2.88:1 First-gear ratio. Careful attention to detail was the order throughout the entire build.

The Result
When asked about the finished project, Nunzi replies, "It's very different and in my own taste, but I wanted to turn back the clock and make it look like something I'd build if I was an engineer back then. It's exactly what I got with the GTO. My son, Tony, and Matthew worked seven days a week over a two month period just to get it done. Friends like Andy Asaro, Ray Batelli, Bobby Jones, and Kenan Taskent helped, too. I'm very happy with everything."

Though Nunzi hasn't measured the R/A-VII's output on a dyno, he estimates somewhere between 635 and 650 hp. "I could have put the engine into any of the cars in my collection, but the GTO seemed the perfect choice. I wanted it to have a manual transmission and that might make it tough to run consistently at the track. I'll probably never make a pass with it, but it sounds great and really runs hard.

Conclusion
This GTO doesn't have a significant historical background as a brass-hat vehicle, nor was it campaigned as a race car by a major dealership, but one pass down the list of optional equipment quickly reveals that its original owner ordered it with the sole intent of maximum performance in mind. The absence of its original drivetrain hasn't kept Nunzi from keeping its performance spirit alive, however. What better way to capture a legendary engine builder's vision of a vintage hot rod than installing experimental Engineering components into the Division's flagship vehicle from the performance era? Now that's pure Pontiac history, no matter how you view it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hppp_0905_02_z-1965_pontiac_gto_ram_air_vii-front_view.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	583526   Click image for larger version

Name:	hppp_0905_03_z-1965_pontiac_gto_ram_air_vii-front_view.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	583527   Click image for larger version

Name:	hppp_0905_07_z-1965_pontiac_gto_ram_air_vii-front_view.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	583528   Click image for larger version

Name:	hppp_0905_08_z-1965_pontiac_gto_ram_air_vii-front_view.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	583529   Click image for larger version

Name:	hppp_0905_11_z-1965_pontiac_gto_ram_air_vii-front_view.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	583530  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hesster1977 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
There's a picture here and around, of Jim Mino and Truman Fields at some event that I'm not that familiar with PRI???

Truman's on here (don't remember his screen name) but as of a few years ago he was going strong and hanging around Ellison Engine Service in Cincinnati. (Elmwood.)

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 02-05-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster1977 View Post
From Hot Rod Mag - some great history

1 965 Pontiac GTO Ram Air VII - Seventh Heaven
This Subtle, Yet Mean '65 GTO Features A Dual-Quad 428ci Ram Air VII Engine

What's the best way to showcase your buildup of one of the rarest engines in Pontiac history? How about vintage hot rod meets Factory Experimental in one of the Division's hottest models? That's what Nunzi Romano was thinking when he built this '65 GTO.

Most any enthusiast following fast Pontiacs within the past four decades is likely familiar with Nunzi, as his contributions helped carry the Pontiac performance torch during the dark days of the '70s and '80s. His personal story isn't one that's well known, however.

Nunzi was born in Southern Italy and studied automotive mechanics, cutting his teeth on high-end Italian race cars. He immigrated to America in the late-'50s and has called Brooklyn, New York, home ever since. His first Pontiac, a '55 two-door sedan, was purchased from the Brooklyn-area Pontiac dealer at which he worked, and he began tinkering to improve its performance. His immediate success gained him notoriety as a performance guru with the hot-rod crowd, which led to the opening of his own specialty garage.

As was much of America in the early-'60s, Nunzi, too, was enamored with Pontiac's Super-Duty program, and the GTO when it debuted in 1964. "Pontiac was on top at the time, and I remember talking to a salesman at the dealership about the GTO before it came out," the retired engine builder recalls. "He told me that it was a performance model with scoops on the hood, and that's all I had to hear. I ordered a Starlight Black '64 with a 389 Tri-Power and four-speed manual transmission. I really liked the car and raced it all the time, but the '65 GTO is my favorite."

General Motors' corporate edict on factory-backed racing eliminated the Super-Duty program, so Engineering fought back and introduced super-strong street engines, including the GTO's 389 Tri-Power in '64, the 400 H.O. and Ram Air in '67, the R/A-II in '68, the R/A-IV in '69, the 455 H.O in '71 and the SD-455 in '73 for the Firebird. The 421 H.O. and 428 H.O.s motivated the quick Big-Cars of the day. Many owners brought such Pontiacs to Nunzi for his magic touch, and though they ran well in stock trim, minor tweaking extracted even more performance from them--a feat noticed by members of Pontiac's engineering team.

A Bit Of R/A-V History.
Competition amongst manufacturers was fierce in those days, and Pontiac had a reputation as a performance leader. The maximum-performance combination, dubbed "R/A-V," was Engineering's attempt at maintaining its status. Conceptually designed as a 400 (but also available in 303 and 366 ci), the R/A-V featured a reinforced block with four-bolt main caps and forged-steel internals. It was topped by newly developed Tunnel-Port cylinder heads like those Ford used with large, round intake ports and individually spaced exhausts. The combination included a high-lift mechanical camshaft, a cast-aluminum intake manifold, and a Holley carburetor. It was a true high-performance mill with 7,000-rpm capability.

Most likely due to emission regulations and internal procurement, the R/A-V program was abruptly cancelled as it neared introduction. No such engine was ever installed into a production vehicle, but because most components of the combination had been cast and their part numbers cataloged, assembled engines and individual components were sold over the parts counter for several years.

Acquiring The Parts
Nunzi took immediate interest in the R/A-V and began accumulating many of the unique components that remain in his collection today. "I purchased several complete R/A-V engines and cylinder heads back then. I also picked up a few different R/A-V intake manifolds, including a dual-quad tunnel ram and a medium-rise, dual-plane dual-quad unit that's extremely rare. I think it was a prototype used by Pontiac for testing. Others may exist, but I've never seen or heard of one

"I used to talk with a few of Pontiac engineers who were involved with the R/A-V project in those days, and they told me of the combinations that Engineering was working on to beat the competition. I remember hearing about the R/A-VI--a modified 428ci block with R/A-V top-end and a single four-barrel carburetor. The R/A-VII was a dual four-barrel version of that. I don't think either engine made it past testing, though."

Nunzi dreamed of building a unique engine using many of the R/A-V components he owned. "I wanted to put a real piece of Pontiac history into a car that I could take to local shows or cruises, and national Pontiac events, and to play around with. I never really had the time when I was working but had the chance to make that happen when I retired." What better way to create his tribute to Pontiac than by building his own R/A-VII engine?

The Powerplant
Beginning with a modified four-bolt 428ci block, Nunzi bored it 0.035 inch to 4.155 inches and filled the cylinders with forged-aluminum Venolia pistons, Speed-Pro plasma-moly rings, and forged-steel, stock-length Crower connecting rods. A modified Super-Duty 421 forged-steel crankshaft with a 4.05-inch stroke round out the reciprocating assembly, which creates a total displacement of 440 ci.

Atop the engine rests an N.O.S. pair of No. 44 R/A-V cylinder heads that, as Nunzi says, "were laying around since day one." They feature large intake ports that peak around 325-350 cfm at 28 inches of pressure at maximum valve lift. These units retain their original 2.19-inch-diameter intake and 1.73-inch-diameter exhaust valves but feature modern Crower valve springs and titanium retainers. Combustion chamber volume measures 70 cc, yielding a compression ratio of 12.5:1.

Crower supplied a custom solid-roller camshaft with 260/265 degrees of 0.050-inch duration on a 108-degree lobe center and 0.650-inch valve lift when combined with the company's 1.6:1 ratio shaft-mounted rocker arms. In addition to specifying valve timing, Nunzi also had Crower install a cast-iron distributor drive gear and machine all five journals to accept roller bearings.

Authenticating the R/A-VII project is a super-rare, dual-plane, dual-quad intake manifold that's complemented by a pair of Holley carburetors. At the heart of the ignition system is a modified points-type distributor with a Mallory No. 102X points set. An MSD Blaster 2 canister-type coil generates spark, which Taylor wires transmit to a set of AC Delco R43S plugs. Total spark lead of 35 degrees is reached by 2,000 rpm.

Vehicle Selection
As the engine project neared completion, Nunzi sought the perfect vehicle for it. In his collection was a low-mileage '65 GTO that was originally equipped exactly as he'd have ordered it. Once Montero Red with black interior, it boasted of a 389ci Tri-Power engine, M21 four-speed manual transmission, 3.90 gearing, a Safe-T-Track differential, aluminum front brake drums with metallic brake linings, heavy-duty fan, Custom Sport wood steering wheel, and Rally gauges.

Nunzi first became acquainted with the GTO during the '80s when a customer brought it to him for an engine build. "The car was drag raced all its life," he says. "The body was very straight and rust-free, but the original engine and transmission were gone. I built a high-horsepower 455 for the owner, and he had me install a rollcage in it. He sold the car a few years later, and I ended up with it in the late '90s. It was just too clean and unique for me to pass up."

The dual-quad R/A-VII was an experimental engine developed and tested by Pontiac Engineering. Nunzi re-created it by using a modified 428ci block, R/A-V cylinder heads, and an experimental intake manifold.
Nunzi and son Tony disassembled the GTO and mediablasted its body to bare metal. With the help of Matthew Demma, they repaired all the imperfections. "I wanted the car to look like a vintage hot rod," Nunzi says. "You know, in black primer like the '49 Fords and '50s Pontiacs I used to see in the '60s. I also wanted to take it to shows but didn't want to worry about it getting scratched." Tony assembled a makeshift paint booth in Nunzi's shop where he and Matthew applied several coats of PPG Hot Rod Black--a modern matte finish that replicates the look of vintage black primer.

Once completely painted, the crew reassembled the GTO. With the R/A-VII engine resting between the frame rails, Nunzi installed a 30-pound steel flywheel, a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and pressure-plate assembly, and a BorgWarner Super T-10 four-speed manual transmission with nickel gears and a 2.88:1 First-gear ratio. Careful attention to detail was the order throughout the entire build.

The Result
When asked about the finished project, Nunzi replies, "It's very different and in my own taste, but I wanted to turn back the clock and make it look like something I'd build if I was an engineer back then. It's exactly what I got with the GTO. My son, Tony, and Matthew worked seven days a week over a two month period just to get it done. Friends like Andy Asaro, Ray Batelli, Bobby Jones, and Kenan Taskent helped, too. I'm very happy with everything."

Though Nunzi hasn't measured the R/A-VII's output on a dyno, he estimates somewhere between 635 and 650 hp. "I could have put the engine into any of the cars in my collection, but the GTO seemed the perfect choice. I wanted it to have a manual transmission and that might make it tough to run consistently at the track. I'll probably never make a pass with it, but it sounds great and really runs hard.

Conclusion
This GTO doesn't have a significant historical background as a brass-hat vehicle, nor was it campaigned as a race car by a major dealership, but one pass down the list of optional equipment quickly reveals that its original owner ordered it with the sole intent of maximum performance in mind. The absence of its original drivetrain hasn't kept Nunzi from keeping its performance spirit alive, however. What better way to capture a legendary engine builder's vision of a vintage hot rod than installing experimental Engineering components into the Division's flagship vehicle from the performance era? Now that's pure Pontiac history, no matter how you view it!
Great article and pictures, thanks for sharing.

Do you have any idea of the date this was published?

Old 02-05-2022, 11:18 AM

Actually from Motor Trend's "Hot Rod" /Feature, dated May 1, 2009.

Supposedly there was the R/A 5, with only about 40 or so sold to lucky individuals (or so I read in one of my archives), then there were also R/A 6 and R/A 7 versions.
I have a ton of the old High Performance, T/A, and Thunder AM mags, as well as ALL of the High Output Newsletters. As I go back thru them, I will post some cool history stuff. And I know somewhere in them was a article and pics of these engines, I will find it at some point.

Other Thread on this Forum on the VI and VII Engines:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=381137

Old 02-05-2022, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure I saw Nunzi's RA7 65 GTO at one of the Pypes shows in PA around ten years ago. Really cool guy and the 70's pic of him with the fro and bell bottoms is awesome. Dude is a living legend. I thought his 4 banger GTO ran high 11's and not 13.0 like in that quote.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Tom Nell told me one time there were about 250 total Engines worth of RA-V parts made.
That would have been the 303 parts, the 366 parts, and the 400 parts.

Not sure about the 40 sold engines, though. Could have happened.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not meaning to take away for the tile of this thread, but maybe possibly add to it.....

There's a picture here and around, of Jim Mino and Truman Fields at some event that I'm not that familiar with PRI???
Mr. Mino passed this past year. I am fairly certain that Truman is still around, although not getting any younger. My good friend and Pontiac enthusiast that I went to Pontiac events with passed in Oct 2018. He owned Trumans 72 GTO from 1980 to 2012. It is now (thankfully) owned by a seldom posting member here.

Anybody got a line on Truman???
Was it the picture taken at Mcacan three or four years ago?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Was it the picture taken at Mcacan three or four years ago?
I believe so....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-05-2022, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a lot of 400 crate V engines made,there was 25 short deck factory 303 engines made.As far as the other variations there were a couple hand full of 303 std deck engines but had RA IV top ends,I have a std deck 303 block in my 69 bird and like 366 NASCAR engines which were also RA IV headed engines.As far as 4in stroke and 4.210 stroke I have never talked to anyone that actually saw or owned a engine,I have owned both of those factory 3in main Kellogs cranks.There were some 3.125 main angle main blocks made,Arni had quite a few of them when he was running the blower enginesOn top of that stuff there were factory alu blocks in the late 60s and early 70s.Both 3in main and 3.125 main and std 4 bolt and also 4 bolt angle main.FWIW,Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nunzi should market a poster of the shot of him and the TA in front of his garage. Big bells, hair and early 70's all the way.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:51 PM
Boost Engineer

I bought 20 of the 366 raw Kellogg forgings from Moldex, could have owned another 20 of the 303 cranks but passed on them.
Several friends did buy them though so there are a few out there. Tom S got one of my raw 355 cranks.
His crank guy was a outstanding grinder but never heard if he had it finished.

I still have a bunch of the 366 cranks. Butler got 2 of them for his 440 engine that Rodney and Travis ran for years in Dick and Toms IA Block.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,I never got one!Could not get anyone to want to grind it local.Tom

Old 02-06-2022, 12:49 PM
Boost Engineer

So what did you do with the forging?

Tom V.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,I never got one from you!We talked about it but never got one.Tom

Old 02-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Name:	1BC662CD-C302-432D-8A61-EDE846A16F5E.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	583667

Picture I was talking about, not sure how long ago.
Truman on left, and Jim Mino

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 02-06-2022, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Truman's on here (don't remember his screen name) but as of a few years ago he was going strong and hanging around Ellison Engine Service in Cincinnati. (Elmwood.)
Bob,
Truman's last post was 2008. Not sure what was going on with him, then...
For some reason none of us are getting any younger

Truman's user name here is Hard Times, same as was on his firebird race cars. The name was not used on his 72 GTO, though...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 02-06-2022, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Attachment 583667

Picture I was talking about, not sure how long ago.
Truman on left, and Jim Mino
Jim Mino was one of the nicest dudes youll ever meet. Last saw him at Norwalk 2018.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:49 AM

Default Nunzi

I was a long time subscriber to HPP and part time drag racer for as long as I can remember, and these days it's getting shorter! I always read the magazine front to back and liked Nunzs' column. I finally decided to meet Nunzi to build my RA IV, nothing crazy but get all his expertise into it. When installed into my 64 GTO, he stated it is now making some power, he stated " I'll either blow my trans or my rear". First time out at Maple Grove, it sheared the ring! Ended up putting a Fab 9 in it with 457's and brought it to Brooklyn for Nunzi to go over the car. Well, it ran, 11.66 at 119, not too shabby. Nunzi and Tony would be at the track and always take the time to go right up to the line on every run! Anyway that motor is back at home in the 70, and still doesn't leak a drop oil 30 + years latter. He definitely is old school and he and his son Tony and Mrs. Nunzi have always been a pleasure to work with. I have a couple more motors with his parts, a 421 in the 64 now and a XP RA IV waiting for the right home to put it in. Attached is some stuff I have for years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	583686  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIAGIMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 11:19 AM

From my earlier Post:

"Supposedly there was the R/A 5, with only about 40 or so sold to lucky individuals (or so I read in one of my archives), then there were also R/A 6 and R/A 7 versions.
I have a ton of the old High Performance, T/A, and Thunder AM mags, as well as ALL of the High Output Newsletters. As I go back thru them, I will post some cool history stuff. And I know somewhere in them was a article and pics of these engines, I will find it at some point."

So I found all of my old Pontiac, T/A, and Thunder Am Mags, and there are some great articles in these that I will post from time to time.
This one is an awesome read. Wonder if any of these VI and VII engines are out there, in someone's ride?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aug 88 Cover.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	583799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	583800   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	583801   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	583802  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hesster1977 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 07:18 PM

I know of one member that is currently working on a RA VII to install in one of his cars.