Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What do you think about these mufflers - good reviews?

Hello Guys,
What do you think about these mufflers? Has anyone used them?
For a friend-- need mufflers for a 67 400 4speed LeMans- 2.5" X pipe system with 2.5" RARE HO manifolds. 425HP motor
He is on a budget.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-638252

They seem to have good reviews.
Let me know.
Thanks

Old 04-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

those are chambered mufflers, like flowmasters. they look decent for $30ea, but they will not flow as good as the straight through style mufflers. dynomax ultra flows, pypes race pros, or summit & jegs offers their own brand that are the same design for much cheaper. at 425hp i would think the better flowing muffler would be the best choice.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

78w72,
Thank you for your comments, how about these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...2flt/overview/

They say these are reversible - does that mean I can offset the inlet?
I believe we need an offset inlet for sure- possibly an on center outlet will work.
How do these flow?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i believe we need an offset input and offset output.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4abuygto View Post
78w72,
Thank you for your comments, how about these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...2flt/overview/

They say these are reversible - does that mean I can offset the inlet?
I believe we need an offset inlet for sure- possibly an on center outlet will work.
How do these flow?
those are a turbo style, they will be quiet but still dont flow as good as a straight through design that uses a perforated pipe that runs straight through the muffler.

here is jegs version of an ultra flow or race pro style muffler. i forgot they are stainless so they cost a little more, but for the style & being stainless its worth it IMO. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...30270/10002/-1

reversable does men you can flip them around, but if you know the configuration you need, you can usually just order that muffler. like an offset in & center out etc.

the pypes race pros are the same price as the jegs one so i would buy theem over the jegs. summit or jegs sellls them.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How much louder are the straight thru mufflers? Is the drone unbearable with the straight thru muffler?
Can stainless be welded to a non stainless pipe?

Old 04-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is welding or clamping the mufflers better?

Old 04-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How much louder are the straight thru mufflers? Is the drone unbearable with the straight thru muffler?
Can stainless be welded to a non stainless pipe?
how much louder than what? pypes says their race pro (straight through) is quieter than their street pros (chambered) & most people say the straights have less drone than chambered.

i have 3" race pros with an x-pipe on a 500+hp alum head stroker engine & they are pretty quiet, about the same as my very mild 400 with 2.5" chambered flowmasters & an h-pipe, just a different tone. the race pros have very little drone with a full 3" system, with 2.5" & less power they should be fine.

yes you can weld stainless to non stainless, muffler shops do it all the time. some say to use a stainless wire for the welder but my shop used regular wire on a mig welder. the bead might not look as pretty but there are no problems doing it... & these mufflers are not the shiny stainless, just the lower grade stuff.

i would suggest your friend spend a little more $$ for the race pros or jegs vs the $30 mufflers to compliment his expensive ram air manifolds..

Old 04-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks 78w72,
I was asking, as you answered, louder than the chambered??
I appreciate the info and will encourage the purchase of the suggested race pros as I already know there is a significant performance loss with restricted mufflers.
Thank you for the information.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks 78w72,
I was asking, as you answered, louder than the chambered??
I appreciate the info and will encourage the purchase of the suggested race pros as I already know there is a significant performance loss with restricted mufflers.
Thank you for the information.
ok wasnt sure if you meant the chambered or the turbos. i think he will like the race pros. & suggest a h-pipe or x pipe too if he doesnt have one, helps with performance & sound.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Suspended

They are pretty quiet compared to others