Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope, it was to large for him to receive.... even after I "Trimmed" it down in size. I'll try and get it on to PhotoBucket and attach a link to it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Thanks, that's good to know. I don't text much but I think it went out ok to him..... I hope.
lots of people arent aware you can do that... doesnt even need to be a "smart" phone, if you can text you can text to an email address. but yes, image size limitations apply.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:17 AM
Senior Chief

I am running 2.5" violators with a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust and longtube headers. I had the race pros before; they were to quiet at idle, but sound amazing at full throttle. The violators sound amazing at idle, but absolutely ridiculous at full throttle. It has kinda a trashy glasspack sound and you can hear every individual combustion of the engine. I will be looking into an X pipe soon. Honestly, I wish I had the idle of the violators and the rest of the spectrum, race pros.

1970 GTO: Atoll Blue, TH400, 400 +.060, small chamber Ferrea big valve fitted # 15 heads, Summit 2802 cam, Iron intake, Cliff Ruffles 850 cfm qjet, Hooker headers, 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust, Race Pro mufflers, 3.73 Safe-T-Track.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally got my Cutlass where I can drive it a little (still a lot more work to do before it is "done" though)...

Anyway, I HATE the 3" Race Pros. Even under medium throttle, they sound like raspy trumpets blaring. Almost like the blown-out glasspacks the rednecks ran on the pickups, back in high school.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

funny how everyone has different opinions of mufflers. supports the "to each their own" saying. but i suppose each car/engine is different & may make any muffler sound different from car to car.

anyway, i LOVE my 3" race pros. running 10.7:1 comp on an e-head 467 with 2" super comp headers & full 3" pypes exhaust with X & tailpipes.... the X changes the sound im sure. they are loud compared to my 2.5" exaust & smaller header 9:1 400 t/a with flowmasters, but pretty mellow at idle & get louder & sound great at mid throttle & come to life at WOT. but its definitely nothing close to a raspy sound or glasspacks in high school. also as with any muffler that has matting for sound control, they do get louder after some time & high rpm runs.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also sure wish I could have the Violator sound at idle :/ But I'm not willing to risk bad drone on the road, I do cruise a fair bit. High RPM I don't care as I only do that on the track mostly anyway.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I run violators, x pipe, 2 1/2' pipes withelectric cutouts, from Pypes. I run around in town with the top down and the cutouts open a lot. Fun time is messing with new muscle cars, and tuners when I open the cutouts. [ 2x4 throttle bodies on tunnel ram sticking thru the hood helps] Guess I'm not too old for "IF IT'S TOO LOUD YOUR TOO OLD"!! {70 years young] lol

Old 03-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I just installed the SGF60v (violator) on my '69 Firebird. The system is loud, there's no getting around that. Sounds great at idel and cruising around it's noticeable but without much actual drone. Step on the throttle and it's near deafening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKhb-7fUzKc

Old 03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still deciding and haven't pulled the trigger.

After driving the car for 4-5 months as my daily with just Flowmaster 40s before the rear axle, I've decided I want a much louder and clearer sounding idle, but want to keep a nice low growl rolling down the street. Accelerating under partial throttle of full throttle I don't give a crap how loud that is. BUT, I want as little drone as possible around 2,500RPM going down the highway at 50-55mph.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still deciding and haven't pulled the trigger.

After driving the car for 4-5 months as my daily with just Flowmaster 40s before the rear axle, I've decided I want a much louder and clearer sounding idle, but want to keep a nice low growl rolling down the street. Accelerating under partial throttle of full throttle I don't give a crap how loud that is. BUT, I want as little drone as possible around 2,500RPM going down the highway at 50-55mph.
Everyone's tolerance is a bit different, but I will tell you that I would not want to daily my car with the Violator system. While the sound is clear without drone, you still definitely hear it cruising around.

For a weekend car that I play with, it's awesome and has that holy **** what's in that thing factor. I would find it maddening to deal with on a daily basis though.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Anyway, I HATE the 3" Race Pros. Even under medium throttle, they sound like raspy trumpets blaring. Almost like the blown-out glasspacks the rednecks ran on the pickups, back in high school.
heres a vid of my 72 firebird with 3" race pros & full 3" pypes system with an X. this is off idle & lower rpm, maybe 3000 peak. i think it sounds great & IMO there is no "raspy trumpets blaring" or blown-out glasspacks back in high school sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INO3...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That doesn't sound too obnoxious. Definitely not trumpet blaring loud. The 3 inch pipes I think help that a lot. Smaller pipes seem to be a little more raspy.

I've never used the Violators but I did find the Race Pros to be too loud for me on a 2 1/2" system with an "H" cross over. That was an LS swapped 72 blazer seen here.... https://youtu.be/msgSc3S-yHA (poor SS Camaro )
I daily drove this for several years and it did have some drone I got tired of.

On my 79 1 ton 454 with headers I run a 3" system, no cross over, and used the Pypes Street Pros. Much more mellow, very nice sound, no drone what so ever. Nice idle and cruise, but makes just enough noise at WOT to be noticed. The 3" pipes give it a deeper tone and I've gotten several comments on how well it sounds. I currently don't have a clip of that one.

My 70 Formula I run the Pypes 2 1/2" crossflow setup which uses their Race Pro design transverse muffler and "X" pipe. But this Race Pro is nothing like the pair I had on the blazer. The Firebird is very tame at idle, a little attitude at WOT, but the best part is absolutely no drone at all. These transverse Race Pros I find are much easier to live with. Here's a short clip
https://youtu.be/C6_7VggILsE

My favorite go to muffler the last couple years has been the Dynomax ultraflows. I have that setup on my sons mustang and absolutely love it. Just perfect sound all around, no drone, nice idle, but a little attitude at WOT. I like these mufflers so much now I'm thinking of switching out a couple of other cars I have with these.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

arent the race pros basically just copies of the ultra flows? same straight through perforated pipe with some packing in the case...

i think the sound difference is based on the cars engine & other things like pipe size & X vs H cross overs. your sons mustang is a very different animal than a big cube pontiac so probably why it sounds so much different, wonder what race pros would sound like swapped out for the ultraflows???

i have flowmaster 40's on my 78 t/a with 2.5" pipes & a H pipe. it has much smalller headers & is a 9:1 mild cam 400. they sound great for that set up, but for the 72 with a 500+hp stroker engine i wanted a better flowing exhaust & increased sound was expected.

heres a clip of the 78 idleing & a little burnout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQVWNo5jCZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zozMBMWCwJU

Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you look at the design I agree, the Race Pros look a lot like the Dynomax ultraflows. But the 3 cars I've used them on they sure don't sound the same at all. I think part of the reason is because the Ultraflows I've used seem to have a slightly larger case than the Pypes Race Pros and have 2 or 3 different case lengths available where as the Pypes Race Pros are all the same case I believe (the ones I've used anyway).

I run a 3" system on my chevelle with a Dr Gas "X", a 600hp 454 with 2" headers, and I've had 3 sets of mufflers on that thing over the years. Currently has an older set of Flowmaster Super 40's. Sound is okay but the drone is absolutely horrendous at 2,000 rpm. I feel they don't flow well enough for the engine either. This is one car that is getting switched over to a pair of #17547 20" long case Ultraflows. I'm thinking it will tame down the sound and at the same time pick up some flow. We'll see....

Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes the race pros are ~ 1/2" thinner than ultraflows for the same size length... one of the reasons i went with r/p's, so they tucked up to the floor a little more. i wanted all the ground clearance i could get on a lowered car, but turns out my low spot is not the mufflers it's the huge 3.5" collector hooker super comps!

a longer case is always quieter, if i decide the r/p's are too loud (they seem to be getting louder over time) i will consider a set of ultraflow 20".

Old 03-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah my Flowmaster 40s drone like CRAZY.

I'm going with a 3.5" exhaust w/the Pypes X pipe and 3.5" mufflers. My current header collectors are only 3" but when my new heads/cam go in I'm going with new headers that will be 3.5" collector to match the exhaust. I'm hoping the size really makes for a fantastic super deep loud idle.

Still on the fence about Violators or Race Pros tho. I'm leaned more towards the Race Pros, just because they say those are their absolute best flowing mufflers.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I'm going with a 3.5" exhaust w/the Pypes X pipe and 3.5" mufflers. My current header collectors are only 3" but when my new heads/cam go in I'm going with new headers that will be 3.5" collector to match the exhaust. I'm hoping the size really makes for a fantastic super deep loud idle.

Still on the fence about Violators or Race Pros tho. I'm leaned more towards the Race Pros, just because they say those are their absolute best flowing mufflers.
my "slowmaster" 40's dont really have a drone issue, but the engine/cam is very mild & the 2.5" full tail pipes help a lot.

curious why you want 3.5" pipes for your exhaust? what power is the motor making? from the research i did before i bought my 3" pypes kit, most say 3" is more than enough for 600+ hp. due to cooling exhaust temps the further back you go, i dont think 3.5" pipes after the collector are needed, unless you are making well over 600hp. but if its a sound issue then thats up to you.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my fathers system and the car idling. It has 2" headers with 3 1/2" collectors. The exhaust is 3 1/2" from collector to the Dr. Gas "X", then the other half of the "X" is 3" into a pair of race mufflers. I can't think of the name brand of muffler but it's a very small oval case that was sold way back when on another Pontiac oriented website. Then into a pair of Torque Tech 3" tail pipes. I really like this system. It's loud behind the car, but quiet inside the car as you might be able to tell in the video. Standing in near the front of the car you hear the fan more than the exhaust. High RPM sounds like angry bumble bees and there is no drone what so ever in the car. It cruises comfortably, and could easily daily drive this exhaust system.

https://youtu.be/DF1y0F-tJ3w

Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I'm leaned more towards the Race Pros, just because they say those are their absolute best flowing mufflers.
I always thought their descriptions were a little off. They used to say ( and maybe still do) that the Race Pros were a little quieter at idle and part throttle than the Street Pros.

I never found that to be the case at all. I've run both and the Race Pros are definitely louder in every aspect than the Street Pro line. As an example, 2 cars I have, the Street Pros I run behind a bigger engine, with headers, and larger 3" pipes and they are still much quieter than the Race Pros I ran on a smaller engine, with manifolds and 2 1/2" pipes.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Has anyone ever used a round straight through muffler like the Pypes M80's or Magnaflow magnapacks?