THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NH cars and trucks will give Michigan a good run for its money’s on rusty vehicles.....see it everyday in the BodyShop ..

Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my car from Fla and it was originally sold in Corpus Christi TX. From spending its life around the gulf it had more than its share of rust. I got a donor car from New Jersey that had a perfect body, but the bottom was completely gone. It was obvious the original must have parked it in a garage and kept the body cleaned and waxed while not paying attention to the underside.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found inland northwest a good source. A lot of Idaho, eastern Washington..... areas that aren't snow zones, but yet aren't baking in summer. Garaged cars from this area can be super nice. Supple rubber, good upholstery, etc.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Agree with all comments, however you said you were looking for a late model dodge. I think they come standard with rust. I have yet to see one that is more than a couple of years old that is not rusted above the rear wheels, or the bed in general.
This is true, however the same hold ture for GM and Ford with Dodge being the worst. Toyota Tundras seem to hold up very well but are only 1/2 tons. The problem with any vehicle outside of the rust belt is that it will have miles on it. This is because, unlike the rust belt, they tend to drive their vehicles all the time, whereas we tend to hibernate in the winter. When I was looking to replace my last Super Duty I wanted a diesel Dodge that was rust free I concentrated my search on the state where trucks are king, Texas. In 2013 I was looking at 2005's with 200,000 - 250,000 miles on them for $25,000.00 plus $1800.00 - $2000.00 for shipping. They were certainly and totaly rust free and a Cummins can easily do 400,000+ miles, but I just could not justify paying stupid money just for a rust free vehicle.

So, I kept looking locally for a Dodge or a Ford with a black frame and I found my current Super Duty. Anything short of a 3/4 ton is nothing more than a car that can haul furniture.

Keep in mind, they will still rust no matter where you buy it.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Some of the best I've seen are out of Montana.
X2.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief, I agree with most of your statement, not trying to start a brand war because it wouldn't matter. Everyone has their favorites and nothing will persuade them otherwise. My experience with my 06 F 150 has been great. No, there is no rust on it. It has been well maintained and garage kept most of its life. Now pushing close to 300,000 miles. FX-4, has been used as a construction truck its entire life. Will pull a case skid loader no problem, and regularily pulls my 16' box trailer loaded with tools. I have even pulled a trans am or two on occasion. Biggest issue is the dang exhaust manifold that leaks, but that has happened since day one! Ive gotten tired of replacing it and have learned to live with the noise. Only other pet peeve is the side bolster is worn out on the driver seat. Dont know why they cant re-inforce that a bit so it would last a little longer. I like the looks of the dodge trucks, and chevy's too.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Chief, I agree with most of your statement, not trying to start a brand war because it wouldn't matter. Everyone has their favorites and nothing will persuade them otherwise. My experience with my 06 F 150 has been great. No, there is no rust on it. It has been well maintained and garage kept most of its life. Now pushing close to 300,000 miles. FX-4, has been used as a construction truck its entire life. Will pull a case skid loader no problem, and regularily pulls my 16' box trailer loaded with tools. I have even pulled a trans am or two on occasion. Biggest issue is the dang exhaust manifold that leaks, but that has happened since day one! Ive gotten tired of replacing it and have learned to live with the noise. Only other pet peeve is the side bolster is worn out on the driver seat. Dont know why they cant re-inforce that a bit so it would last a little longer. I like the looks of the dodge trucks, and chevy's too.
Well I know a fellow racer that pulls a 28' enclosed trailer full with 2 Jr. dragsters, a Maverick (or Comet), golf cart, pit bike, tools and compressor with an Ecoboost F150. If I did not see it with my own 2 eyes I wouldn't believe it. The thing is that a 1/2 ton may pull a big load but it is not safe. Remember the Tundra commercial where a Tundra was pulling the Space Shuttle?

By the way, does your F150 have a 5.0 or a 5.4?

Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its the bigger motor, must be the 5.4. I think a 28' trailer would be pushing it a bit! My brother actually had the truck from brand new, (we were in business together) and when it was a couple of years old he bought a toy hauler camper. I would guess the thing is about 28' or so. The dealer put one of those fancy equalizer hitch set up thingys on it. He drove the camper from the dealer to his house. Went to the Ford store the next day and bought a F250 diesel. That's when I got the F150. (it was better equipped than my f150 and we put that one into the fleet). He traded that up a couple of years ago on an F350.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I got my car from Fla and it was originally sold in Corpus Christi TX. From spending its life around the gulf it had more than its share of rust. I got a donor car from New Jersey that had a perfect body, but the bottom was completely gone. It was obvious the original must have parked it in a garage and kept the body cleaned and waxed while not paying attention to the underside.

People seem oblivious to the facts that a large amount of population of Texas lives close to the Gulf of Mexico, and that the Gulf is a salt water body! Prevailing winds are constantly blowing salty air over the land. Growing up in the Houston area in the 70's and 80's, I thought it was normal for 3 year old cars to have rust holes.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 09-12-2018, 05:21 PM
PY VIP

Both of my cars came out of northern California and both were preserved very well- even the interiors were in great shape.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 09-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

North Texas. No rust issues at all.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
People seem oblivious to the facts that a large amount of population of Texas lives close to the Gulf of Mexico, and that the Gulf is a salt water body! Prevailing winds are constantly blowing salty air over the land. Growing up in the Houston area in the 70's and 80's, I thought it was normal for 3 year old cars to have rust holes.
And you seem oblivious to the fact that a large amount of the population in Texas does not live close to the Gulf of Mexico.

As a 28 year resident of the DFW metroplex, I am always amazed by the rust free condition of old cars that have been in this area since they were new.

No salt, and just like the vast majority of the state, no issues with "blowing salty air" here.

And, of course, there is not a spec of rust on my 2008 Ram.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 09-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
And you seem oblivious to the fact that a large amount of the population in Texas does not live close to the Gulf of Mexico.

As a 28 year resident of the DFW metroplex, I am always amazed by the rust free condition of old cars that have been in this area since they were new.

No salt, and just like the vast majority of the state, no issues with "blowing salty air" here.

And, of course, there is not a spec of rust on my 2008 Ram.
Why are you acting that way?

"Large" does not mean "most," it just infers a significant percentage. A quick look at any population map shows that the coastal areas are more densely populated than are the super-dry areas of West Texas and the Texas Panhandle.

Probably about 1 out of every 3 "Texas cars" spent a fair amount of time in salty air.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1John View Post
Looking to purchase a few year old Dodge Ram truck. Living in the rust belt (Mich.), I'd prefer to buy out of state. Some say go to Georgia or Carolinas but how risky is this due to flood vehicles?

How about Oklahoma?

Appreciate recommendations.

Thanks!
N TX, W TX, and Oklahoma late model trucks are super solid. Staying away from the pine needles of SE OK & east TX helps. Dodge Ram has been #1 seller in Lousianna for a few years, just more pine needles & too close to salt water for me. Bought my Cummins Dodge out of Stephenville TX in 2000. Am several hours north of there, but it still has ZERO rust. The Dodge is too long to fit in my previous garage thus it set outside when was not on the road. as result the paint on the roof is a little thin. Getting close to rewarding the old HOSS with little bit of bodywork & fresh B/C. Have driven 'em & rode in them, but no gadget ridden blackbox equipped new $60K trucks for me, rather put the $$$$$ into my Pontiacs.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I live in North Houston- about 80 miles from the coast and haven’t had any issues at all. My newer cars that used to sit outside don’t have any issues at all. I guess I am far enough from the water. I’ve seen a few cars in Galveston that have a good amount of rust on them.

Side note- my 07 Charger and 12 Ram had no rust whatsoever on them up until last year.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I live in North Houston- about 80 miles from the coast and haven’t had any issues at all. My newer cars that used to sit outside don’t have any issues at all. I guess I am far enough from the water. I’ve seen a few cars in Galveston that have a good amount of rust on them.

Side note- my 07 Charger and 12 Ram had no rust whatsoever on them up until last year.
Man, if I saw rust on a Texas vehicle I'd be pissed.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:34 PM

The western cars seem to be the best as far as rust goes. I bought a 99 Suburban from Texas a few years ago for a DD it had been here in Mi a few years already still a pretty clean truck.
I just bought a short bed reg. cab 01 Silverado that came out of Ca a few years ago Absolutely no rust
Good luck with your search

original ca car
Old 09-13-2018, 01:06 AM

I haven't seen him here for quite a while, but Bill Morgan used to post photos of old cars he'd picked up in west Texas. The interiors were usually pretty rough and the bodies were sunburned, but they were amazingly solid. I'd think that area or New Mexico would be a good place to hunt.

Back in the late 70s my boss periodically had to travel to Phoenix, and his hobby was about once a year he would buy a second generation Camaro and bring it back to Minnesota to fix up. At that time you could still find lots of them in the junkyards here in Minnesota with rusty bodies but nice interiors, so he'd paint the Arizona car, drop in an interior from a Minnesota junker, and resell it for profit.

One of my current daily drivers is an off topic 1988 model that spent most of its life in Georgia, far away from the coast. I had to have some minor rust repairs done but in general it was very clean for a 30 year old car.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never understood why Dodge trucks have a reputation for rust. I have had three Dodge trucks and none of them had any rust showing anywhere whatsoever. I ran the last one to 275,000 miles.
I remember comparing my '97 to my wife's '95 Tahoe with about the same mileage. The frame on the Tahoe was covered with light surface rust whereas my Dodge's frame was completely black.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No salt in Georgia Greg. Just add a few salty winters and watch them rust, especially the bed sides around the wheel. 3 years old up north is not uncommon. It's a Northern thing!