Old 01-04-2021, 02:47 PM

Default Swapping king pins for balljoints 55

Hey guys new to the forum, looking to see if anyone has any info on switching out the king pins for balljoints outside of chopping the frame? I’ve seen one article from a while ago to where they welded on bracket to the top of a spring pocket on the frame. Not too crazy on that wondering what some of you guys have done that’s worked out well Thank you,

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was that the Rodders Digest article using the 58 Control arms? I think I remember a Heidts mII crossmember setup as well.

Here's the article about using 1958 parts. http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garag...Conversion.pdf

6.27@107
9.97@131

Last edited by Stuart; 01-04-2021 at 04:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Eveland For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Was that the Rodders Digest article using the 58 Control arms? I think I remember a Heidts mII crossmember setup as well.

Here's the article about using 1958 parts. http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garag...Conversion.pdf

Yes that’s the article the problem is 58 parts are not that common from what I understand so not really sure how much help that is, I like the bracket ideal. I’m going to look for that crossmember now thanks for the info!!

Old 01-04-2021, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many people just swap a 2nd gen subframe and have availability of easy to find replacement parts, rather than a trunnion front end that hasn't been used since 1957.

Granted, cutting the frame stub off and replacing it isn't a weekend project, but you'll also gain much better adjustability and better front end geometry with the second gen subframe. You'll also gain front disc brakes in the swap.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 04:53 PM

Default Swapping king pins for balljoints 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Many people just swap a 2nd gen subframe and have availability of easy to find replacement parts, rather than a trunnion front end that hasn't been used since 1957.

Granted, cutting the frame stub off and replacing it isn't a weekend project, but you'll also gain much better adjustability and better front end geometry with the second gen subframe. You'll also gain front disc brakes in the swap.

If definitely sounds like a good move I’m just not sure about jumping into that right now. I can get disc brakes without that I’ve seen a few setups scaredbird which I used in my 63. Plus then I gotta deal with my 55 has a 455 in it. I’m learning quickly why people have chose chevy lol hate to say it

Old 01-04-2021, 05:04 PM

Hi Harry, I welcomed you into the Tri-five.com forum when you joined, so hello again. My '57 Star Chief has a front clip from a 1978 Monte Carlo, which gives all of the modern advantages of disc brakes, power steering, ball joints, and front sway bar. This work was all done before I imported the car into New Zealand, so I don't know how much work it took, but I imagine a fair bit.

It sure makes the Star Chief handle like a dream, and is very easy to drive and steer.

My 1957 Pontiac StarChief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.
Webmaster for the American Classic Car Club Auckland.
Visit us at www.americanclassiccars.org.nz
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiStarChief For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The second Gen has Pontiac mounts already on it if it came from a Firebird with a Pontiac V8, if not it's pretty simple to change one over to Pontiac mounts, if it was from a camaro. Really the mounts are the minor if you're swapping a complete stub onto an early trunnion equipped Pontiac.

Not sure what transmission you have behind that 455, but going to the later sub frame would also make using any late style transmission pretty easy.

IMO it's easier to just take all the older technology stuff off and swap it to later model, than trying to find ancient 58 parts and still end up with older technology, but I appreciate cars that handle well, and can corner well........

If you decide to do the G body front clip as outlined above the frame rails are closer together than the F body, making the Pontiac engine a tighter fit.

In the end it's your car, and your choice of which way you decide to go, good luck with whatever you decide.....

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiStarChief View Post
Hi Harry, I welcomed you into the Tri-five.com forum when you joined, so hello again. My '57 Star Chief has a front clip from a 1978 Monte Carlo, which gives all of the modern advantages of disc brakes, power steering, ball joints, and front sway bar. This work was all done before I imported the car into New Zealand, so I don't know how much work it took, but I imagine a fair bit.

It sure makes the Star Chief handle like a dream, and is very easy to drive and steer.

Hello again thank you, yeah I’m just not sure about doing all that right now it is a decent amount of work. The problem I see is not the fabrication, it seems the 1958 Pontiac lower control arm is what works, but there not readily available so that leaves me guessing? Is there another lower arm that works?

Old 01-04-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
The second Gen has Pontiac mounts already on it if it came from a Firebird with a Pontiac V8, if not it's pretty simple to change one over to Pontiac mounts, if it was from a camaro. Really the mounts are the minor if you're swapping a complete stub onto an early trunnion equipped Pontiac.

Not sure what transmission you have behind that 455, but going to the later sub frame would also make using any late style transmission pretty easy.

IMO it's easier to just take all the older technology stuff off and swap it to later model, than trying to find ancient 58 parts and still end up with older technology, but I appreciate cars that handle well, and can corner well........

If you decide to do the G body front clip as outlined above the frame rails are closer together than the F body, making the Pontiac engine a tighter fit.

In the end it's your car, and your choice of which way you decide to go, good luck with whatever you decide.....

I totally agree with you 58 arms are not out there so it’s kinda of pointless to even do that. So the F body is better choice, I’m game for more room! As far as the mounts the work just starts adding up and down time on my lift lol. You know of any specs out there to make this a little easier or is it plumb bobs & levels and tape measures time lol

Old 01-04-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:

I have turbo 400, I just had a crazy thought what about welding in a tubular f body member from the 90’s this could just be crazy talk

Old 01-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'58 Olds lower arms will work too but are hard to find. Then you still need to fab up something for the upper.
Then there is the whole modern master cylinder/peddle thing taffy pull.
Good looking car, Happy wrenching!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
'58 Olds lower arms will work too but are hard to find. Then you still need to fab up something for the upper.
Then there is the whole modern master cylinder/peddle thing taffy pull.
Good looking car, Happy wrenching!

Yeah I know that’s the problem lol 58 arms just aren’t around what’s taffy pull?

Thank you

Old 01-04-2021, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Taffy pull" is an old expression and a "polite" euphemism for boxing the clown, spankin' the bacon, etc.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
"Taffy pull" is an old expression and a "polite" euphemism for boxing the clown, spankin' the bacon, etc.

The way you wrote I was thinking it was a new type of master cylinder

Old 01-06-2021, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would actually prefer a rear steer clip if was to do one, meaning gearbox behind steering like it currantly is. 1st gen f body or 68-74 x body nova etc... Control arms angles will be much better, plus availability of brake and steering upgrades.
Otherwise gearbox ia real close to stock radiator location. I had a 2nd gen f body clip and seemed to wide for my liking, plus the location of the gearbox.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I would actually prefer a rear steer clip if was to do one, 1st gen f body or 68-74 x body nova etc...
Otherwise gearbox ia real close to stock radiator location. I had a 2nd gen f body clip and seemed to wide for my liking, plus the location of the gearbox.

That sounds good does it help for room with headers?

Old 01-06-2021, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpjr76 View Post
That sounds good does it help for room with headers?

No, there's more interference than front steer is.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-06-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you mount the engine in stock location and use the gearbox also on the clip, it should be ok just buy headers for the frame stub your using. The 55-57 steering gearbox makes it a pita for headers. That's why I built fenderwell headers. 3 tubes or some cut up 4 tubes will work, if you mount the engine up higher and to the passenger side some, that's with using the stock frame.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 01-06-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
If you mount the engine in stock location and use the gearbox also on the clip, it should be ok just buy headers for the frame stub your using. The 55-57 steering gearbox makes it a pita for headers. That's why I built fenderwell headers. 3 tubes or some cut up 4 tubes will work, if you mount the engine up higher and to the passenger side some, that's with using the stock frame.

Got ya thanks for the info I’m still considering which way I’m going to go. Decision decisions

Old 03-10-2022, 02:02 AM

Putter here I did a 54 Chevy sedan delivery with 74 Camaro subframe drives like a champ had to fabricate new radiator support and build a radiator but drives just like a Camaro that car had a bent frame so I didn’t mind cutting it off