Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My cars:

69 GTO convertible

Bought it from the original owner in 93, San Antonio car, guy was a retired Air Force General and car was a weekend-pleasure car from new.

69 Lemans convertible

Bought from the original owner in 2005, she got it new as a 25th wedding aniversary gift from her husband (in Birmingham Alabama), again it was a never a daily driver even new. she sold it because she lost her license and the kids did not want it.

69 GTO hardtop

bought in fall 2006 from third owner (a flipper about a mile from my house) but I almost bought it from the first owner in Tucson (where the car stayed until 2006) in 93 same time I bought my GTO convertible. small world that it ended up a mile from my house.

69 GP SJ

Bought it also in fall of 2006 from original owner in Los Angeles (through a broker), she was half chinese half spanish and about 4`8```. Car is still 100% original paint. her dad bought it new for her in 69.

69 Bonneville brougham convertible

Bought it fall 2007 on eBay from second owner in Grants pass Oregon. Car racked up 104,000 miles by 1974 and now has 105,000. nice rustfree car but suffered from some sitting issues.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
My cars:

69 GTO convertible

Bought it from the original owner in 93, San Antonio car, guy was a retired Air Force General and car was a weekend-pleasure car from new.

69 Lemans convertible

Bought from the original owner in 2005, she got it new as a 25th wedding aniversary gift from her husband (in Birmingham Alabama), again it was a never a daily driver even new. she sold it because she lost her license and the kids did not want it.

69 GTO hardtop

bought in fall 2006 from third owner (a flipper about a mile from my house) but I almost bought it from the first owner in Tucson (where the car stayed until 2006) in 93 same time I bought my GTO convertible. small world that it ended up a mile from my house.

69 GP SJ

Bought it also in fall of 2006 from original owner in Los Angeles (through a broker), she was half chinese half spanish and about 4`8```. Car is still 100% original paint. her dad bought it new for her in 69.

69 Bonneville brougham convertible

Bought it fall 2007 on eBay from second owner in Grants pass Oregon. Car racked up 104,000 miles by 1974 and now has 105,000. nice rustfree car but suffered from some sitting issues.
Nice stories and nice collection of cars. One owner cars are getting harder and harder to find

Old 09-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know anything about my 65 GTO except that I've had it 25yrs.and plan to have it at least another 25. My dad bought his 66 GTO new out of the showroom in Nov.1965.My mom still has all the paperwork,window sticker,finance papers,etc.She told me the monthly payments were $33.00mth.and were hard to keep paid.We still have the car,it's 98% unrestored and in beautiful shape.It was the family car and my dad street raced it 3-4 times a week until the early '70s.It's a numbers matching tri-power,4-speed car with 93,000 miles and still has the original clutch.I was 4 when he bought it and this is the car that started my love affair with GTOs and performance cars.My dad passed away in 1999 at the age of 57.I drove the car in his funeral,it hasn't been driven since.I could go on and on with many stories about the car,I love talking about it.I've been trying to post pix of it for months but no luck.Maybe someday.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
Don't know anything about my 65 GTO except that I've had it 25yrs.and plan to have it at least another 25. My dad bought his 66 GTO new out of the showroom in Nov.1965.My mom still has all the paperwork,window sticker,finance papers,etc.She told me the monthly payments were $33.00mth.and were hard to keep paid.We still have the car,it's 98% unrestored and in beautiful shape.It was the family car and my dad street raced it 3-4 times a week until the early '70s.It's a numbers matching tri-power,4-speed car with 93,000 miles and still has the original clutch.I was 4 when he bought it and this is the car that started my love affair with GTOs and performance cars.My dad passed away in 1999 at the age of 57.I drove the car in his funeral,it hasn't been driven since.I could go on and on with many stories about the car,I love talking about it.I've been trying to post pix of it for months but no luck.Maybe someday.
Goatman - that's a beautiful (and familiar sounding) story about a great car.

If you would like to email pics to me at keith.seymore@gm.com I can post 'em up for you.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Goatman, I what a great story. Dont ever let any of those cars go.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Cool story (and car ...).

Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the comments guys.A little more about the 66.It's Montero Red mostly original,just a few touch-ups in the early 70s.Parchment interior.It came with whitewalls and deluxe or custom deluxe hubcaps,not sure the exact name.It now has Keystone Classic wheels on G70-14,H70-14 Road hugger bias tires.Wheels/tires were put on around 1974-75.Gauges,no console,walnut shift knob,pushbutton am radio.Remote mirror.tripower,m21,3:90 posi.Power steering.Not long after buying the car my dad ordered a ram air kit from Royal.My mom said he borrowed the money from his mom for it because money was real tight back then.It was the pan,open scoop which came primered.He cut the hood brace as needed and painted the scoop some shade of red that doesn't match at all.The pan/scoop are still in the trunk just as they were 40 yrs ago.Although the foam seal is in very bad shape.It has never been 'chopped up' or hit or apart.Engine,trans.rear never out.Still has some orig.hoses,clamps.He never felt any need to modify it,no headers,add-on gauges,radios,etc.Only the usual belts,hoses,exhuast replaced with stock parts.I did notice today that the tires sidewalls are cracking a bit.Hope this was not boring.I'll get pix on here soon I hope.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Goatman - that's a beautiful (and familiar sounding) story about a great car.

If you would like to email pics to me at keith.seymore@gm.com I can post 'em up for you.

K
Thanks Keith.That would be great.I would love to get pics of it on here for everyone to see.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys.A little more about the 66.It's Montero Red mostly original,just a few touch-ups in the early 70s.Parchment interior.It came with whitewalls and deluxe or custom deluxe hubcaps,not sure the exact name.It now has Keystone Classic wheels on G70-14,H70-14 Road hugger bias tires.Wheels/tires were put on around 1974-75.Gauges,no console,walnut shift knob,pushbutton am radio.Remote mirror.tripower,m21,3:90 posi.Power steering.Not long after buying the car my dad ordered a ram air kit from Royal.My mom said he borrowed the money from his mom for it because money was real tight back then.It was the pan,open scoop which came primered.He cut the hood brace as needed and painted the scoop some shade of red that doesn't match at all.The pan/scoop are still in the trunk just as they were 40 yrs ago.Although the foam seal is in very bad shape.It has never been 'chopped up' or hit or apart.Engine,trans.rear never out.Still has some orig.hoses,clamps.He never felt any need to modify it,no headers,add-on gauges,radios,etc.Only the usual belts,hoses,exhuast replaced with stock parts.I did notice today that the tires sidewalls are cracking a bit.Hope this was not boring.I'll get pix on here soon I hope.
WOW!!! Great story about a neat GTO! Thank you for sharing. Boring??? Hell no! That's just plain cool!!! Hope to hear and see more about it.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

I bought my Pontiac from the original owners grandson. The car was built in Arlington, Tx, Sold new at Superior Pontiac in San Antonio (which still exists today) and was sold to me in San Antonio. The grandson told me his grandpa bought the car brand new in 1958 and when he got too old to drive he gave the car to his grandson in 2001. The car ran until 2003 and I bought it in early 2006. As far as I can tell it's an original Tri power car with hardly any options. I found receipts dating back to the early 60s with the original owners name on them matching the name of the guy I bought the car from.

I bought a parts 59 and Buick from a lady who said that the 59 was her aunts car and the 60 was her parents car. Both bought new at Covert GM in Austin. The cars were driven until the late 60s or early 70s and have not moved since. I found in the glovebox of the '59 the original owners manual along with the accessory manual and the protection policy and and Buick owners Delco battery warranty sheet dated 10-30-1958 Covert Auto 1958.

The other '59 buick i have I bought from a guy who got the car from the second owner's ex wife. They got a divorce and she ended up with the car. She sold it just to spite him and I ended up with it.

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks Keith.That would be great.I would love to get pics of it on here for everyone to see.
Email them to me and I will post 'em from my Photobucket account. I'd like to see the car

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Small world, my GTO convertible is from the same dealer in San Antonio, bought it in 93 from the original owner.

I think the dealer still exists but now sells a bunch of asian stuff as well.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John, are you talking about Superior? They are now Superior GM instead of just Superior Pontiac. They still have the 50 foot tall Indian out front though. My dad grew up in San Antonio and he said when he was a kid people would shoot arrows into the big indian statue. haha I don't know if that's true or not but thats what he says.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some cool stories in this thread.

Here's mine:

I know the history of my '66 from 1982. My father bought it from a local guy who was bringing cars/trucks up from the south. This car was brought up to PA from Highpoint, NC. It was sold new at Bob Neill Pontiac in Winston-Salem, NC (I just noticed that the selling dealer's name is the same as my mother's maiden name - Neill, kinda interesting). When my dad bought this car, it had a Pontiac 350 with a Qjet on it, ralley IIs, 3.90 rear gears, and glasspacks. My family had been on a trip to the World's Fair in Tennessee (with the exception of my dad - he owned his own business & decided to stay home to get a big job done). When we were unloading the luggage out of my Grandfather's Cadillac, here comes this beautiful red '66 GTO up the street, sounding mean & looking sweet (I was 12 years old - this is exactly the type of car a 12 year old is interested in). Low & behold, my father is driving it. I was in love with this car then & knew that I wanted a '66 GTO right then. For the next 3 years, my father did his best to restore the car to factory specs. There was no PHS then, but my father had somehow known that this car was a tripower car & he built a 389 with trips on it, put 3.36 gears in it (for driveability), repainted it & installed the original spoke hubcaps with whitewall tires. In the pic below, it had ET aluminum wheels with the whitewalls, but he later changed it to the spokes. Also in the pic below, the car wears the same paint as when he got it. His heavily modified '73 El Camino is sitting next to it. It had a complete Pontiac Grand Am interior, drivetrain, 400 RAIII, 4spd, '77 El Camino front end, Trans Am fender vents, shaker, etc, etc. He is a Pontiac guy through & through. He wants to put a Pontiac motor in his 4wd Chevy pickup.

Picture taken sometime in 1982, possibly early 1983, at the Pittsburgh Convention Center during a car show.

During the first 3 years he owned it, it had 3 different engine fires (2 small ones that he had fixed in the same day & one large one that took the car off the road for 20+ years). The last fire was in June of 1985. He then decided to do a frame-off resto & then he was hurt in a bad car accident in 1987, so the GTO just sat in his garage until December 2006, when I uncovered it & pulled it to safety, so to speak. In August of 2007, his house was struck by lightning & burned to the ground. I saved the '66 from the fire by a mere 8 months. My website takes over from this point. www.akvalley.net/~ss/1966GTO.html

What it looked like when I got it...

What it looks like now...

My father was into GTO's from when they first came out. He had bought a '64 GTO new in 1964 (3x2, 4spd & pretty much stripped otherwise) right after my parents were married (his first "new" car). He only owned his '64 for 18 months & he said it was a POS that was back to the dealer all the time. He ended up trading it in on a '65 Olds full size convt, for my mother & he went back to driving Studebakers.

I bought a GTO new in 2004 (my first "new" car, also), 40 years after my father bought his. I bought a Quicksilver/Redhot 2004 with a 6 speed. Gorgeous car, but it was a POS & had many visits back to the dealership, as well. I traded it in on a family car when we found out my son was on the way. I kinda miss the '04, but I'm happier that I was able to save this '66 from it's untimely death.

my 2004...

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
John, are you talking about Superior? They are now Superior GM instead of just Superior Pontiac. They still have the 50 foot tall Indian out front though. My dad grew up in San Antonio and he said when he was a kid people would shoot arrows into the big indian statue. haha I don't know if that's true or not but thats what he says.
Yes, still has the bumper sticker on the back. Must have been a big seller of Pontiacs in those days, see lots of them.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a picture of the sticker? Mine also has a sticker and the metal "Superior" badge. Cool stuff.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 PM

My car is a '61 Bonneville, with a 348hp tripower engine and a four speed transmission. Besides the drivetrain configuration (which is not very common for a Bonneville) it's unusual in other ways; it's pretty much a stripper - no power steering or brakes, no tinted window or day/night mirror, not even outside rear view mirrors. None of the things you'd expect to find on a Bonneville. In fact, the only other options listed in the PHS documents are a radio and antifreeze, and special order paint.

It has a two tone paint job; the body is Mandalay Red and the roof is Cameo Ivory, which were regular production colors in 1959. When compared to Coronado Red, which was a common Pontic color in 1961 (on Chevys it was called Honduras Maroon) it's a lot brighter and has some orange in it, so it stands out and makes the car pretty distinctive. Because of that, I've had several people come up to me at shows who remembered the car from when it was new. They've all said the same thing: "Hey, is that Vern's old car?"

From talking to these people I've pieced together the car's history. Apparently, ol' Vern had previously owned a '59 tripower Bonneville, also painted Mandalay Red and Cameo Ivory, so when it was time to get a new car he went down to the dealer and special ordered this one painted in the same colors. He also put 1959 Tripower badges on the front fenders. There were two reasons for ordering a snazzy Bonneville with the hi-po engine and transmission - for one, he was a street racer; and secondly, he was also something of a lady's man. He sold vacuum cleaners during the day (which I suppose gave him access to plenty of lonely housewives) and then at night he and his buddies would go out and terrorize the streets. I understand the car was pretty successful in its day.

He owned the car until about 1980, when he finally put it up for sale. It was bought by a teenager, but when the kid brought the car home his dad took one look at it and told him he wasn't going to let him drive it...I guess he figured it was a little too much car for his son. They put it in the garage, and it pretty much stayed there for the next 12 years, only coming out occasionally. Finally, by then he was grown up and he wanted to buy a bass boat, so he put the car up for sale again and that's when I bought it. It only had 42,000 miles on it when I got it, and the body and interior showed it - they were really nice. However, from the condition of the drivetrain you could tell it had lived a hard life in its youth - the engine needed a full rebuild (oddly enough, it had a McKellar #10 solid lifter cam in it) and 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears in the transmission were trashed.

I don't know if Vern is still around, but if he is I'd sure like to sit down with him and buy him a beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61 pontiac.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	144257   Click image for larger version

Name:	My 61 interior.jpg.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	144258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00179.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	144259  

Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart--

That's a great story! I suggest that you do some searches and make some calls to find Vern. Like most of the people that purchased our cars new, he is probably not a "spring chicken" any longer. I know that I enjoyed talking to my car's original owner. It was worth the chance!

Michael

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

killer Story and killer Bonneville!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
killer Story and killer Bonneville!!!