Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric,

Yes I will see you tonite!!!! A Club bus sounds great, all we need to do is get a few members to actually attend!!!!

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric and Jeff - we can go any time....

or - we can wait until Matt is in town and all four of us go together.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Keith,
I'm always up for the tour. See you Saturday
Jeff,
We'll have to know what weekends you are not working. Have a great day and I'll see you tonight.
Eric

Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Matt,
Let Keith and I know when you are coming. Hopefully it will be during the summer when you can really get a taste of the old days.

SJ,
I kind of like Jim Wangers' "Glory Days" too. Particulary the introduction paragraph on ihe Introduction page. See if you can figure out why I like it...

Matt is correct about the two different GTX stories. Jim Wangers' "Glory Days" was not a tell all book about the street racing scene. Nor the real behind the scenes of Royal Ponitac. I will tell you that there is a story about the two '67 GTO's in this January's High Performance Pontiac. Not exactly the way things where as discribed by the author. But the two GTO's where prepared differently.

As you look at them on the page: the one on the left is Dick Jesse in the automatic GTO, John Politzer is in the stick shift GTO on the right with the engine pictured over it. Both cars were white with a black top and red interior. No one would think that would be two with this combination.

The Automatic GTO only had a Bobcat kit and headers, capable of low 13 second quarter mile times. The stick shift GTO was a blue printed 400 capable of 12.50 and faster quarter mile times. (The Automatic car went onto CARS magazine and was used as a lettered racer by the magazine)

Most of you know the story. Dave Warren with the automatic GTO beat the ex-Royal customer's stock '67 Hemi GTX then lost to a modified Vette. Then they put the story out about the rocker following off before they ran the Vette. Got a rematch. But this time it was John Politzer driving the two GTO's. Doing the switch from the Automatic GTO to the stick shift GTO against the Vette.

Remember, John Politzer was Royal's Mystery Geeto Tiger and the primary street racer for Royal. John was one H---l of a driver.

By the way Jim Wangers was and still is very sharp behind the wheel of a stick shift car...

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 01-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is funny....I had a G.E. appliance repairman, Scott, at the house yesterday. His father in law is the late Jimmy Addison, owner of the '67 GTX Silver Bullet. How funny is this? I showed him the Black Bird in the garage and we talked while he worked. He remembers Jimmy telling him about a Chevelle that beat him owned by a Steve. I told him that was Steve Mair who's dad was General Motors VP Alex Mair. Jimmy probably told Scott about the Chevelle because Scott owns a '72 Chevelle convertible.
Small world!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Eric, awesome info here and it is hard not to think "It was ment to be" with Scott the GE repairman to show up. Count me and dad in on a sight seeing bus tour

Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In August 08 I learned I was losing my vision. In the Spring of 09 we made plans to attend Woodward as my team of doctors recommended to my wife and I that we try to see and do as much as possible because I would eventually loose my remaining vision.

When the doctors told of this they asked what is the one thing I'd like to see that I had never seen before. The rattled off a list of things, such as Statue of Liberty, Grand Canyon etc. My immediate response was "Woodward". They looked at me and asked "where is that". I went on to explain the Woodward Dream Cruise but they didn't "get it".

So with all this in mind we planned our trip to Woodward Dream Cruise 09. As the trip was getting closer we realized we would not be able to make the trip financially so we cancelled our hotel stays and let our friends know that we would not be making the trip. Well, unknown to me, they all jumped into action and were selling raffle tickets, 50/50 drawings etc. all to raise funds for us to make our Woodward trip. In fact, even our old car club where we used to live in Buffalo helped out.

As it turned out our car friends raised enough money for gas for our trip up and back as we were trailering our 68 Firebird 400/4-speed from FL to MI. Our locar McDonalds down here sponsored us and covered all of our meals up and back at any McDonalds that we stopped at along the way. There were several local businesses here in our hometown who also sponsored the trip.

We first went to the Ames Performance show in OH then on to MI for the Dream Cruise. We had a terrific time. The highlight of the Ames show was that Don Keffe and my friend Mike arrainged with the owner of the track to allow me to take the final pass on the track with my Firebird. Don took pictures of that event (maybe he will post one here). It was simply awesome.

Then, off to Woodward we went. It would take me hours to detail all the amazing events that took place during our week on Woodward Ave. The local News picked up on our story and covered the entire story airing parts of the story each night on their evening news. The local news papers also picked up on the story. So many people from the area would stop us and wish us luck, wanted to know more about my vision loss etc. People were so kind I can not stop thinking about that trip each and every day since.

The best event happened on Weds before the Dream Cruise. My wife and I and our then 10 y/o son were riding along in our Firebird on Woodward Ave heading towards Detroit. Once I realized we were heading into the City I decided to make a U-turn. Just as I did so, we noticed an orange Judge city at the light heading in the direction that we were about to be going. Just as I made my U-turn I happened to snap a picture in the rearview mirror of our Firebird. Here is that pic. I would have NEVER imagined in a million years the events that followed. What I like to call "Woodward, Dream Come True Cruise".

A couple of pics of Mr. Wangers at a Pontiac show in FL in Feb 08.

One sad twist to the story. After we returned home from that trip, in Dec of 09 our 68 Firebird was rear ended at 45mph (we were sitting still waiting for a draw bridge to reopen) as we were coming home from our car club Christmas dinner. A sad end to a car that my wife and I and three kids spent 10 years restoring was gone in a split second due to an "Undocumented visitor" formerlly known as an illegal alien who was texting on her cell phone at the time of impact.

Thank God my wife nor son were injured. I on the other hand have 5 ruptured discs in my lower back along with a torn spinal cord cavity. However, I'll gladly take the pain knowing that my wife and son were uninjured!

That is my "Woodward" story. I only hope that Dave and Mr. Wangers know how much their kindness has meant to my wife and I and our son. Although that trip took place almost 2 years ago, we discuss that trip daily! Honestly, that trip was the greatest thing that has ever happened to me aside from meeting and marrying the greatest women on the earth. The women who now helps me 24/7, goes with me everywhere I go. We married at the age of 18, had three wonderful kids and now 25 years later we are still together and I thank God for her every day of my life.

As a side note, the air cleaner lid, gas filler door and MEAN BRD license plate are soon to be in a shadow box (currently being made) hanging on the wall in our shop.

I hope you enjoyed my Woodward story. I've told it a million times now and it never gets old. The way it happened, the people that were involved in making it happen, the entire story was truly a dream come true...

Last edited by 67 LeMans 326; 02-05-2011 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67 LeMans 326 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 LeMans 326 View Post
In August 08 I learned I was losing my vision. In the Spring of 09 we made plans to attend Woodward as my team of doctors recommended to my wife and I that we try to see and do as much as possible because I would eventually loose my remaining vision.

When the doctors told of this they asked what is the one thing I'd like to see that I had never seen before. The rattled off a list of things, such as Statue of Liberty, Grand Canyon etc. My immediate response was "Woodward". They looked at me and asked "where is that". I went on to explain the Woodward Dream Cruise but they didn't "get it".

So with all this in mind we planned our trip to Woodward Dream Cruise 09. As the trip was getting closer we realized we would not be able to make the trip financially so we cancelled our hotel stays and let our friends know that we would not be making the trip. Well, unknown to me, they all jumped into action and were selling raffle tickets, 50/50 drawings etc. all to raise funds for us to make our Woodward trip. In fact, even our old car club where we used to live in Buffalo helped out.

As it turned out our car friends raised enough money for gas for our trip up and back as we were trailering our 68 Firebird 400/4-speed from FL to MI. Our locar McDonalds down here sponsored us and covered all of our meals up and back at any McDonalds that we stopped at along the way. There were several local businesses here in our hometown who also sponsored the trip.

We first went to the Ames Performance show in OH then on to MI for the Dream Cruise. We had a terrific time. The highlight of the Ames show was that Don Keffe and my friend Mike arrainged with the owner of the track to allow me to take the final pass on the track with my Firebird. Don took pictures of that event (maybe he will post one here). It was simply awesome.

Then, off to Woodward we went. It would take me hours to detail all the amazing events that took place during our week on Woodward Ave. The local News picked up on our story and covered the entire story airing parts of the story each night on their evening news. The local news papers also picked up on the story. So many people from the area would stop us and wish us luck, wanted to know more about my vision loss etc. People were so kind I can not stop thinking about that trip each and every day since.

The best event happened on Weds before the Dream Cruise. My wife and I and our then 10 y/o son were riding along in our Firebird on Woodward Ave heading towards Detroit. Once I realized we were heading into the City I decided to make a U-turn. Just as I did so, we noticed an orange Judge city at the light heading in the direction that we were about to be going. Just as I made my U-turn I happened to snap a picture in the rearview mirror of our Firebird. Here is that pic. I would have NEVER imagined in a million years the events that followed. What I like to call "Woodward, Dream Come True Cruise".

A couple of pics of Mr. Wangers at a Pontiac show in FL in Feb 08.

One sad twist to the story. After we returned home from that trip, in Dec of 09 our 68 Firebird was rear ended at 45mph (we were sitting still waiting for a draw bridge to reopen) as we were coming home from our car club Christmas dinner. A sad end to a car that my wife and I and three kids spent 10 years restoring was gone in a split second due to an "Undocumented visitor" formerlly known as an illegal alien who was texting on her cell phone at the time of impact.

Thank God my wife nor son were injured. I on the other hand have 5 ruptured discs in my lower back along with a torn spinal cord cavity. However, I'll gladly take the pain knowing that my wife and son were uninjured!

That is my "Woodward" story. I only hope that Dave and Mr. Wangers know how much their kindness has meant to my wife and I and our son. Although that trip took place almost 2 years ago, we discuss that trip daily! Honestly, that trip was the greatest thing that has ever happened to me aside from meeting and marrying the greatest women on the earth. The women who now helps me 24/7, goes with me everywhere I go. We married at the age of 18, had three wonderful kids and now 25 years later we are still together and I thank God for her every day of my life.

As a side note, the air cleaner lid, gas filler door and MEAN BRD license plate are soon to be in a shadow box (currently being made) hanging on the wall in our shop.

I hope you enjoyed my Woodward story. I've told it a million times now and it never gets old. The way it happened, the people that were involved in making it happen, the entire story was truly a dream come true...

Thats an awesome story and pics... that was a beautiful car... too bad they cant teach the "Undocumented Visitors" how to drive before they take the box truck tour into our country! I hope you are doing well.... thanks for sharing...

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

Great story! Sorry about your car ... sounds like the important stuff is in fine order, though!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the comments. We were fortunate in the fact that we had Hagerty classic car ins. and they did an excellent job of handling the loss of our car. The fine folks in their office handled our situation without ANY issues and quite quickly.

We were also lucky to find an original, one owner 67 LeMans with only 54k original miles and all it's paperwork. We have now owned that car for one year and we treasure the fact that it is so original and in such great condition.

Woodward is something the three of us will NEVER forget! Here is a picture of our "replacement" for MEAN BRD!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Senior Chief

Sharp car! Nice shot - looks like a circa '67 postcard! (have Hagerty, too - good to know they treated you right).

Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Joe,
I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I like the photo you guys took at Pastiener's Auto Zone Book Store in front of the Judge. We meet every Saturday morning at that location next to the EmbroidMe. I took care of that Judge for over 15 years. It is also the Judge that is mentioned in Jim Wangers' "Glory Days" Introduction paragraph in the books Introduction Chapter with me driving the car. I took on many unsuspecting so called Muscle cars in past Dream Cruises with that Judge. Even with Jim on board. I guess they didn't understand the Royal Bobcat emblem on the sail panel and Drag Radials on the rear... LOL
This is the first time I've been back on this Forum in a while. It is too bad you were not able to join us, Jim Wangers, Dave Anderson, Jack "Doc" Watson, and several other Pontiac cars and personalities on the Tuesday at Temple Isreal's "Dream Cruise Warm Up". It is a good thing I took the "Wangers" Judge out of storage the Tuesday morning so you could spot Jim. Or was it the smell of the clutch that Dave keeps resting his foot on that got your attention?
Dream Cruise day, Saturday, the Royal Pontiac Club along with the "Wangers" '69 Judge, GeeTO Tiger, the '68 Blackbird and 55 other Royal Pontiac member cars were parked along Woodward Ave just south of 15 Mile Rd in Birmingham. You could have parked with us.
This year, 2011 the Royal Pontiac Club will be parking at Jim Fresard Buick GMC, which is the dealership that Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac became approx. 1971. The dealership is no longer at the 400 N. Main St. just north of 11 Mile Rd in Royal Oak. It is now located on Woodward Ave just north of 8 Mile Rd in Ferndale. Two club members have had their cars on display in Fresard's show room. A black '62 Grand Prix 421 Tri-Power 4 speed Bobcat and a 1967 triple black GTO 421 Royal Bobcat convertible.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tim,
Too bad your dad and I can't have another rematch on US-23 coming back from Milan Dragway. You and your Dad in The Turquose GTO and me in the "Wangers' Judge. Who would ever believe two middle aged guys in two lightly modified '69 GTO's would think of doing some runs from a roll and dead stops on the Freeway in the middle of the afternoon?
I'll let you know about those tours with Keith if G.M. will ever lets him out of the Volt program lab.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer View Post
Joe,
I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I like the photo you guys took at Pastiener's Auto Zone Book Store in front of the Judge. We meet every Saturday morning at that location next to the EmbroidMe. I took care of that Judge for over 15 years. It is also the Judge that is mentioned in Jim Wangers' "Glory Days" Introduction paragraph in the books Introduction Chapter with me driving the car. I took on many unsuspecting so called Muscle cars in past Dream Cruises with that Judge. Even with Jim on board. I guess they didn't understand the Royal Bobcat emblem on the sail panel and Drag Radials on the rear... LOL
This is the first time I've been back on this Forum in a while. It is too bad you were not able to join us, Jim Wangers, Dave Anderson, Jack "Doc" Watson, and several other Pontiac cars and personalities on the Tuesday at Temple Isreal's "Dream Cruise Warm Up". It is a good thing I took the "Wangers" Judge out of storage the Tuesday morning so you could spot Jim. Or was it the smell of the clutch that Dave keeps resting his foot on that got your attention?
Dream Cruise day, Saturday, the Royal Pontiac Club along with the "Wangers" '69 Judge, GeeTO Tiger, the '68 Blackbird and 55 other Royal Pontiac member cars were parked along Woodward Ave just south of 15 Mile Rd in Birmingham. You could have parked with us.
This year, 2011 the Royal Pontiac Club will be parking at Jim Fresard Buick GMC, which is the dealership that Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac became approx. 1971. The dealership is no longer at the 400 N. Main St. just north of 11 Mile Rd in Royal Oak. It is now located on Woodward Ave just north of 8 Mile Rd in Ferndale. Two club members have had their cars on display in Fresard's show room. A black '62 Grand Prix 421 Tri-Power 4 speed Bobcat and a 1967 triple black GTO 421 Royal Bobcat convertible.
AS it turned out we were given a prime parking spot on the corner at the delership as the Mayor at that time, Jim Ellison was kind enough to track us down through the local TV news station and he gave us his parking spot to watch the Dream Cruise! That entire community made us feel so welcome. Everywhere we went people would say "hey your the guy on the news with MEAN BRD Firebird. It was really something, the local news station did a multi part story that aired each night during the week leading up to the Dream Cruise. People we so kind and caring.

One amazing thing that happened this past summer. We were here at home in FL at the Saturday night cruise at Old Town in Kissemmee and a lady from Detroit area regonized us from the story that ran a year earlier in MI. It was really amazing and she was so nice and had such nice things to say about our family and our situation. The people in that entire area of MI are truly amazing people!!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Joe,
What you have experianced is Detroit/Mid West hospitality. People here are always willing to help each other. Whether it is car guys helping each other or boaters on the many lakes here in Michigan. Or even charities. You just never know when you may need some help.
It is almost a cultural thing...being friendly and helpful... It is learning to work with others and helping others in need. Like as a team. There is alot of team work and sharing of talents here. Many of our biggest car events here, be it the Eyes On Design every Fathers Day for Optical research at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate or the Black Tie at the North America International Auto Show every January which is one of the nations largest one day charities. The people here in Detroit are friendly and very generous.
You will find many Michiganders owning homes in Florida or just vacationing there.
I'm glad you enjoyed it here. You owe it to yourself to experiance more of what Detroit and its people have to offer.
Take care
Eric

Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question was asked if the 10.70 Mopar Super Stocker was Addison's '67 GTX "Silver Bullet". The answer is NO! The Hemi Super Stocker that the Blackbird raced was a lettered race car and not the "Sliver Bullet". The Blackbird raced that Super Stocker on two different occations in an industrail park off Telegraph Rd near Plymouth Rd.

The Blackbird beat the Hemi Super Stocker in first race without having to go all out. It was realized that the bird had plenty more horse power then the Mopar and beat him just enough to make it look close. The Mopar wanted a re- match in a few weeks because he didn't feel his car was running right. (Not unusual feeling after losing)

At the second race a Mopar engine development engineer, but a Pontiac fan, Greg Douglas used his Hemi Cuda as the finish line. Greg had Jim Wangers on board and they used Greg's headlights as the finish line. This time the Blackbird used all most all of its power and crossed Greg's headlight beams several car lengths a head of the lettered Hemi Mopar Super Stocker. The owner of the Hemi Super Stocker did not want another rematch. He was convinced that Pontiacs could run.

Greg Douglas told me that he used to make a lot of money betting on the Blackbird back then. As usual, some people thought Pontiacs could not run. They would think it had a Chevy under the hood. They lost on that bet too.

A few years ago I ran across a gentleman by the name of Pat Moran at a local automotive/Hot Rod place called Motor City Steel. I had the Blackbird on Display in their showroom next to a silver '67 GTX called "The Orginal Bullet". (This is not Addison's GTX, long Story) Pat said he remembered back in the day seeing a very fast black Firebird that looked like my car. It had been owned by Jim Wangers. Pat said he watched the Firebird baddly beat a lettered Hemi Mopar Super Stocker off Telegraph Rd. I told him that this is that car. For the next several minutes Pat just kept walking around the Bird and smiling as if he had come across a long lost friend.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Thanks for sharing this Pontiac history !!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric,

Please let Mr. Wangers know that our Son Jeffrey (12 y/o) passed along a few Jim Wangers facts and stories tonight at our local downtown (DeLand, FL) monthly car show. Since reading Glory Days and many other Pontiac articles/books he is a wealth of Pontiac knowledge and I think Mr. Wangers would be happy to hear that someone as young as our Son is incredibly knowledgable about his personal history and his accomplishments in automotive history.

Our Pontiac friends are often impressed with Jeffrey's knowledge as well as his passion for all things Pontiac!

Also, Jeffrey was so proud last month at the Wide Track Warriors' Annual Car Show when our LeMans won 1st place in the 60-69 all Pontiac class. This young man still stops just to look at that trophy almost every day when we are out in the shop.

Due to my vision loss we have been through a lot, we lost our home last year because of it as well. However, we have this wonderful hobby and all the memories to keep us pushing forward and we are thankful for that.

Please let Mr. Wangers know just how much his efforts over the years mean to so many of us!

Sincerely,
The Galls- Joe, Tammy & Jeffrey

Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Joe,
I bet you and your son could never guess why my favorite part of "Glory Days" is in "Introduction Chapter" at the top. In the introduction, opening, paragraph where Jim talks about Woodward Ave.
Eric

Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If anyone's interested in the print, here is the link. I am staring at it in my home office right now, very cool...........

http://www.silverbulletgtx.com/index.html