Old 12-29-2020, 12:35 PM

Default Photos of Headrests and Shoulder Belts

Does anyone have a 1966-67 Tempest or GTO with headrests and shoulder belts that they can post? Factory installed or aftermarket? I'd like to see how it looks and what you think about them. These seem like two safety features that are easy to add since Ames has all of the parts needed. Thanks

Old 01-01-2021, 02:14 PM

I installed both headrests and shoulder belts in my 67 GTO. The headrests look pretty good, although safety-wise they are a bit too far back to do that much good. The shoulder belts are trivial to install as the mounting points are already in the 67. I found good shoulder belts that matched my lap belts on ebay. They work just like they should, but they don't look great. I have the clips to hold them to the ceiling, but I have not mounted them. Using them is known to eventually damage the headliner, and you have to be careful when mounting the clips not to go through the roof.

Here's a photo showing the headrest and shoulder belt in my car, and I also attached a photo of headrests in white. I later painted my headrests to match my seats and it worked perfectly and has held up for years.

I have lots more photos of both installations, etc., if you want them.

You should be able to find original shoulder belts that will work, and the Ames headrest kits work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-05-09 014.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	557324   Click image for larger version

Name:	White headrests.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	557326  

Old 01-03-2021, 04:09 PM

Thanks! yes, please post more photos I am especially interested in the attachment to the floor for the belt, and any installation in progress photos.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't get too caught up in trying to get OEM headrests in your car if safety is the primary reason for wanting them. The factory headrests are far too low and too far back to make any meaningful difference with regard to safety. If you like how they look and just want them in general, that's one thing. But if you think they'll minimize the risk of injury in a rear end collision, that's another matter.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 01-03-2021, 05:25 PM

Here are a few photos of the installation process. I'll go out and snap a few of the seat belt mounting. It's been almost ten years, but I'm pretty sure that I just installed the inboard belts "on top of" the lap belts, using the same bolt. There's plenty of room to do so.

Installation in the roof is trivial. I used an ice pick to locate the mounting hole, after careful measurement. You need to make a small "X" slice in the headliner to insert the mounting bolt. The shoulder belts have no "give" like modern belts do, but I feel pretty secure using them. You won't end up testing the collapsible steering wheel (although it might come back to meet you in a collision, these aren't like new cars in spite of the mass).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-27-09 084.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	557474   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-27-09 071.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	557475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headrest4.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	557477  

The Following User Says Thank You to rockdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 05:54 PM

Here are a few pics of the inboard seat belt mounts, the shoulder belt mounting to the roof, and one of the headrest.

I put the inboard shoulder belt on top of the lap belt (so you can easily wear only the lap belt).

Note from the photo of the headrest that this is the position I use when I drive. I'm tall, and it is "just" high enough to do some good. My wife is a lot shorter and it works fine for her, not really too far back either. The big problem with the headrests is that they are a bit too far back for tall people, like most car headrests until about 10 or 15 years ago. Speaking as one who has unfortunately experienced a rear-end collision without head rests, these are definitely better than nothing, and I think they look good, especially when they are down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2154.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	557487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	557488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2156.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	557489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2157.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	557490  

Old 01-03-2021, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the added photos. I went ahead and ordered the Ames should belt, and headrest kit. Headrests: When you install the headrests, do you need to modify the plastic seat back cover at all? Or does it fit right back into place? I see that the mounting hardware for the headrests puts a lot of pressure on the vinyl seat material, did you have to modify the vinyl or the seat in any way to make the hardware fit? Were the original headrests just molded, or were they covered in the same vinyl as the seats? I noticed that Ames offers a vinyl cover for the molded headrests. Do you know which is correct?

Shoulder belts: Do you remember what size bolt and thread pattern is needed to mount to the roof. I think I will skip the clips based on what you say. Originally did the belts just hang down, or were the clips used? I would like to keep the car as close to stock as possible. I'm not worried about access to the rear seat. I doubt anyone will ever sit back there. Thanks for the warnings about the safety or lack there of, of the headrests. That's something I need to consider and think about.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Really nice. It looks just like the factory did it. So your belts are original Pontiac that you found on eBay. How about the headrests? Original Pontiac or the Ames version? Molded or vinyl covered? They really match extremely well. You did a good job.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:12 PM

I'm with you regarding keeping my car as original as possible--that's exactly what I've tried to do. Other than poking a few holes in the seat (under the back cover, where it isn't seen), no modifications were necessary, and all necessary mounting hardware came with the headrests. I can't say installation was trivial, but it wasn't bad. The '67 had headrests (I think) and shoulder belts (definitely) as options, so the mounting points are there. I've attached two diagrams showing headrest installation.

The headrests that I bought, from Ames (or PY), looked just like they do in the photo, except they came in black. I bought the correct paint for vinyl, followed the instructions, and they came out great. As I said, I think I installed these perhaps 10 years ago, and they still look new. If you do the prep correctly, the paint will last very well. You don't need any cover--I believe that's for older or original headrests that are worn out. So don't forget the correct paint for vinyl.

Re the shoulder belt mounting bolt, I bought the set of belts WITH the mounting bolts and covers. I strongly urge you to do the same, as you'll get the correct thread and length. And the covers finish the job off well. As I recall, cars that had shoulder belts back in the day DID have the clips. If your headliner is out, I would go ahead and install them. They won't hurt anything, especially if you don't usually use them. If not, I personally would not worry about it. I usually just pull the shoulder belt back to the side of the back seat and shove the folded belt between the seat and side.

I have a set of illustrations from OldGoat67 (Charles) showing the mounting positions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Headrest Install 1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	557495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headrest Install 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	557496  

Old 01-03-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pershing View Post
Really nice. It looks just like the factory did it. So your belts are original Pontiac that you found on eBay. How about the headrests? Original Pontiac or the Ames version? Molded or vinyl covered? They really match extremely well. You did a good job.
Yes, I found the belts on ebay, and they weren't actually that expensive. If there aren't any right now, save a search, they'll show up. Or ask on the forum.

The headrests are probably PY, could be Ames.

What color is your interior?

Old 01-03-2021, 06:21 PM

Here's a shoulder belt on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1971-G...kAAOSwmaBe7Q09

This gives you an idea of the price you might have to pay (these are really inexpensive1), and you can see the mounting bolts and the bezel/cover.

There are many more, and often you can find a pair.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Headrests: When you install the headrests, do you need to modify the plastic seat back cover at all? Or does it fit right back into place?

If you have plastic seat backs and lower trims you might have 1968 seats
1967 seats had metal seat backs and attach with 2 screws and not 3. Like 68 seats do

Old 01-03-2021, 07:32 PM

I have a black interior so I won't have to paint the headrests from Ames. I did buy the shoulder belt covers from Ames. Unclear if the belt set comes with the bolts so I went on eBay and bought them there. You are right, the prices for the belts will not break the bank. Bought the clips there too, inexpensive too. I'll see if I need them. The belts and headrests were optional on the '67's but I bet the installation rates were low. I can' remember ever seeing any original ones "back in the day."

Old 01-03-2021, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the drawings. They will come in handy

Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
Headrests: When you install the headrests, do you need to modify the plastic seat back cover at all? Or does it fit right back into place?

If you have plastic seat backs and lower trims you might have 1968 seats
1967 seats had metal seat backs and attach with 2 screws and not 3. Like 68 seats do
Right, mine has metal seat backs, no modifications necessary. I seem to recall that plastic repro seat backs were available at some point for the 67.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:23 PM

rockdoc: you are correct. My seat backs are steel too. As I am rounding up parts and information for this winter project, I found a Fisher Body Service Manual. Under the Shoulder Belt section they show a drawing with the shoulder belt latch side mounted on top of the seat belt. They are both retained by the same bolt as you have done. The buckle side is mounted to the roof as you have done. However, there are no wire retainers mounted in the roof holding the belt when not in use. For 1967 model year, the buckle was placed in a cup-like holder mounted to the quarter trim panel. It was mounted with two screws. If I can find a them, I will mount them with Velcro. The location of this "cup" is indicated in the instruction sheets that came with the shoulder belt package, but is only referenced in the Fisher manual and no dimensions are given. Would anyone on this Forum have these? Thanks.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:43 PM

I've always thought the cup-like holder was just for the convertible models, but now that I look at the body manual again, I'm not sure. I've seen Figure 15-86 before, and I have seen a good description for the convertibles. I've never seen this arrangement on a hardtop, but that doesn't mean much. I doubt that very many came from the factory with shoulder belts. It would be interesting to know how many did. The cup-like holder looks OK, but I think I'll stick to folding the ends of my shoulder belts and sticking them on the outboard sides of the rear seats.
Good luck finding the cup-like holders or the mounting dimensions. Good idea to use Velcro.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Buckle Retainers

Being such a seldom-seen option in '66-'67 the info is very scarce for sure.
One illustration I have generally applied as 2 door models.
This to me indicates whether it's a Convertible or Hardtop the location is the same proximity.

FWIW; I have never seen a complete set up in a Pontiac but have some file images of the retained in a drop-top chevy.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As noted in Jeff's photos be careful when ordering the shoulder belts. There are three different designs. Most obvious is the buckle location. Convertibles and El Caminos have the buckle on the shoulder belt. All others the shoulder belt has the tongue. The third difference is the 72 shoulder belts. They connect to the seat belt eliminating the matching belt used in prior years.
As a side note, the rear seat shoulder belts are similar to the El Camino/Convertible belt.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-10-2021, 12:49 PM

Thanks to all for the photos and advice. I ordered the whole Ames kit for the shoulder belts, and the bolts and the wire holders. I have a hardtop. The Ames kit has the tongue on the shoulder belt, so that is correct. It came with what looks to be a smaller deluxe buckle (GM logo and chrome) while my belts are the standard GM logo in a larger black plastic buckle. So that's a small problem, appearance wise.

Any opinions as to whether the seat belt holder should be the cup style in the quarter trim panel or the wire style mounted in the roof? I see the photos have the cup on the convertible and the wire on the hardtop. Are those original installations? The Fisher Body manual only shows the cup version, but they reference installation instructions which probably have the answer. I just might do what rockdoc did and stick it between the seat and the quarter trim panel until I can find a definitive answer.