Old 01-10-2021, 12:55 PM

I'd just go with the solution you like best. But keep in mind that installing the clips (wire holders) in the roof with the headliner installed could be a bit scary. One wrong move and you've got a hole through the roof. I have never installed mine, but if I do, I will at least peel back the headliner at the side. And it will probably never look as good as it does now. That's why I have a nice set of clips in a drawer....

If you can install the cups in the trim panel in a way that won't permanently damage the surface, I think that would be good solution. And you'll have to explain it to everyone who sees it!

Good luck, send pics when you're done!

Old 01-10-2021, 01:51 PM

I just checked the Ames catalog and the wire clips are for 1968+, so that would make sense, given that they are not shown in the 1967 Fisher Body manual. Only the cups are shown in the Fisher manual. Ames does not sell the cups. I'll look on eBay. I think the wire clips are a non-starter based on what you have said and the fact that they seem like they were not offered for 1967. I am going to take the "do nothing" strategy for now. I'm rounding up parts and I need the shoulder belt buckle to match the standard GM black buckles I have in the car. I think between the manual and what you guys have given me, I should be all set. I will post photos when it's done. that will probably be in the spring. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2021, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first 66 GTO I bought used back in May of 1970 had shoulder belts from the factory. Both the lap and shoulder belts inboard had the plastic belt protector cover on them that matched the belts and turquois interior. I've not seen another like that since then. Not even in restored 66 GTOs I've seen. And no idea if any others from 66 had them that way. I haven't even seen the belt protectors offered for sale anywhere.... original or reproduction.

Pershing, the wire clips were offered with the shoulder belts as they were used to hold the belts up over the door. They didn't just hang from the mount. As in factory installed, or dealer installed. I do know that the shoulder belts were an option in 1966, but as for 67 I'm not sure if they were an option or standard factory installation. And I've seen very few 67s with them.. so that could mean they were still an option. There should be 2 clips per shoulder belt. They will be the same for 66, 67, and 68.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 PM

Just for reference, the '67 GTO convertible has the cups placed on the face of the hinge cover, vice where in the Chevy photo they are on the quarter panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoulder Belts - 67 GTO Conv 010.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	559682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoulder Belts - 67 GTO Conv 011.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	559683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoulder Belts - 67 GTO Conv 002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	559684  

The Following User Says Thank You to AZgoatguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This may all fall under the "random placement" like so many things coming down the line, not every plant followed the outlined order.

Here is a '66 GM installation page showing retainer on the door panel as well,
but there also might have been a possible '67 change?

Old 01-29-2021, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This may all fall under the "random placement" like so many things coming down the line, not every plant followed the outlined order.

Here is a '66 GM installation page showing retainer on the door panel as well,
but there also might have been a possible '67 change?

Old 01-29-2021, 12:15 PM

And here are sheets #2 and #3 referenced in #1. #3 has a lot of detail on the location of the mounting cups.

I don't have the equivalent sheets for '67.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shoulder_Belt_Sh_2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	559701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoulder_Belt_Sh_3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	559702  

Old 01-29-2021, 12:23 PM

Default 1966 shoulder belt bulletin

Here's a 1966 technical service bulletin addressing shoulder belts.

Anchors were included as of February 1, 1966, and shoulder belts were an option beginning March 1, 1966.

My '67 has the mounting anchors, but my VIN plate does not have the small hole mentioned in the bulletin. Perhaps they ceased this practice when shoulder belts quickly became more common?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1966 shoulder belt notification.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	559708  

Old 01-30-2021, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgoatguy View Post
Just for reference, the '67 GTO convertible has the cups placed on the face of the hinge cover, vice where in the Chevy photo they are on the quarter panel.
AZ, Not to change the post subject but noticed the '67 convertible images you posted has the hardware for the optional Tonneau Cover. Is this your car?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TONNEAU COVER 66 ACC CAT PG 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	559772  

Old 01-30-2021, 12:18 PM

Thank you very much for all of the added information. I have a lot more now. I think I have everything in order except for: 1.) Both the 1966 bulletins and the 1967 service manual show the buckle on the outside and mounted to the roof. However, the Ames repros have the buckle on the inside and the tongue/latch side mounted to the roof. So for those of you who have original belts, how are they orientated? 2.) That plastic holder that is attached to the quarter panel is clearly a "buckle" holder and it too is shown in the 1967 service manual. Now as for the metal clips that mount to the roof rail, these are not shown in the 1966 bulletin, nor in the 1967 service manual. Ames shows them as for 1968+ model year, and not applicable for 1967. However, I think I can assume that the holder on the quarter panel is only for a system with the buckle on the outside as the buckle fits right in there and a tongue/latch would slip out, while the wire clips are only for a tongue/latch on the outside. I don't think the engineers would want a buckle up there on the roof rail swinging around and hitting a passenger in the head. Also on the daily drivers I have, all of the belts have the latch/tongue on the outside. So how do the original 1966/67 look? Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:06 PM

Jeff... yes, a car I've had many years. It's a complete car, not disassembled, tired original paint and interior, and such, and I'm sorry to say I've never had it running; it was last driven in the mid-1980's. You noticed the tonneau snaps, however, the cover was not with the car - darn. It's really a neat car... loaded on options. Shame on me for putting off starting a full restoration, letting other things get in the way, but am hopeful for possibly this fall.

The Following User Says Thank You to AZgoatguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2021, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Too bad, I was looking to see what a factory top support rod looked like.
I surmised based on the round retaining "cups" it is likely a small diameter flexible rod.
Possibly like a fiberglass fishing pole, might even have slip connector(s) for easy storage.
My thinking is it would have been slipped into a sewn-in provision in the top fabric and flexed into the cups to create a bowed center.
But this is all just a guess as I have never seen a full top assembly.