1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
Not surprised
Chuck, I met you at Kissimmee when you sold your 71. Your 71 was way nicer of a car than this car is. I would bet that a non Pontiac person bought this car as they didn't know the issues with this car.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Surprising, but this is good news for anyone owning a 70-73 TA. Bad news for anyone looking for one. I might even come out even, if I sold my modified 455HO regular bird. Been a loser equity till now.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:42 PM
Senior Chief

I like dealing with people with more money than knowledge, wish there were more of them.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
Chuck, I met you at Kissimmee when you sold your 71. Your 71 was way nicer of a car than this car is. I would bet that a non Pontiac person bought this car as they didn't know the issues with this car.
Thanks. My car was white and did not have the original motor. If I still had my car I would trade it any day for the blue car. Ya it has some issues but it will always be a blue white numbers matching car. The other stuff can be corrected over time.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only reason for surprise or shock about it is because No One posting here would offer over 50k for that car in a 1 on 1 , buyer-to-seller , eyes on the prize setting.
The website prediction was generously realistic at 55-60k.

Auctions can make it happen - if its gonna happen.
And it did
And Chuck was right - over 90k after the juice.

Quote:
this is good news for anyone owning a 70-73 TA
Indeed

Old 01-16-2021, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightblack View Post
85K.....mildly surprised but not shocked. What I am surprised at is people here saying 30K....it is not 2011 anymore guys. Lucy blue 4-speed with white deluxe interior and AC? Yeah, find another one.
I totally agree ,very hard to find any kind of cars these days .if you have to buy a project car it is even harder to find good people to do the work if you do the will charge u big money. I would rather have that car for that price than a new corvette

Old 01-16-2021, 09:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was at At Mecum today and checked out the car before the sale and watched it go across the block. I was amazed it sold for so much. Besides the wrong fenders, shroud, core support and dash bezel, the metallic in the lucy paint was uneven/blotchy on the doors and the paint was bubbling and cracking where the deck lid meets the center spoiler. The PB Booster was spray painted gold and the air cleaner housing was sprayed in high gloss black. Congrats to the seller for a strong price and I suppose this makes our cars are more valuable but 85 really surprised me.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:47 PM
Senior Chief

I also attended this auction over several days and once again suprised at the money people are spending there. I firmly believe these cars rarely sale in person to person transactions at these auction prices. The auction is full of deep pockets and people who really don't care about the details. Many of the cars had shiny paint but not much else.

Some make comments we should dump our 60s and early 70s cars because soon no one will want them. It may happen someday but sure was not evident at this auction.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:45 AM

I just went on the Mecum site for this auction. If these prices have anything to do with reality.....I'm definitely out of touch with what most of the cars are going for!
Unbelievable

That, or they have an open bar down there during the auction.

It makes you want to put some projects together, forget the "correct" details, and make everything look glossy and pretty.
We'll make a killing at these auctions : )

Old 01-17-2021, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't that what Gas Monkey does?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-17-2021, 09:03 AM

If you think the TA went high, check out this 1970 Honda CT70 that sold Saturday, crazy
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-44...70-honda-ct70/

Old 01-17-2021, 11:14 AM
Senior Chief

So something I and others have noticed are cars that are sold the year before are back the next year. Makes you wonder if the person who bought it last year was unhappy with it or trying a quick flip? Maybe it really did not sell? Was not the Gas Monkey cars sold at BJ by Rawlings and were at Mecum this year supposedly being sold by him again?

Also Dana owns some Pontiacs that show up at back to back auctions.

Think about this, one can create a perception of value by running a car through and bidding it up above current value. Whether the bids were real or not and even if the car does not sale does not matter. This creates a perception of value. I have heard rumors of people agreeing to do that among each other to "influence" the market value.

I am no expert on auctions and any regulation or oversight other than the legal requirements to conduct business in that state and county. Basically the auction format allows a lot of leeway.

Bottom line in my opinion is if you are looking for correct cars with the right details this is not the best place to buy. There are cars like that there but you need to do your home work and spend time inspecting the car long before it goes across the stage. Then you compete with the deep pockets who may not be as discriminating as you.

What the auctions are is a great car show where you will see a wide variety of cars both domestic and foriegn. It also can be educational and the opportunity to meet like minded people. I still go but have difficulty paying a 10% buyers premium and cannot even test drive the car. So many cars this year were having difficulty starting during a few cold mornings.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mcronk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
So something I and others have noticed are cars that are sold the year before are back the next year. Makes you wonder if the person who bought it last year was unhappy with it or trying a quick flip? Maybe it really did not sell? Was not the Gas Monkey cars sold at BJ by Rawlings and were at Mecum this year supposedly being sold by him again?

Also Dana owns some Pontiacs that show up at back to back auctions.

Think about this, one can create a perception of value by running a car through and bidding it up above current value. Whether the bids were real or not and even if the car does not sale does not matter. This creates a perception of value. I have heard rumors of people agreeing to do that among each other to "influence" the market value.

I am no expert on auctions and any regulation or oversight other than the legal requirements to conduct business in that state and county. Basically the auction format allows a lot of leeway.

Bottom line in my opinion is if you are looking for correct cars with the right details this is not the best place to buy. There are cars like that there but you need to do your home work and spend time inspecting the car long before it goes across the stage. Then you compete with the deep pockets who may not be as discriminating as you.

What the auctions are is a great car show where you will see a wide variety of cars both domestic and foriegn. It also can be educational and the opportunity to meet like minded people. I still go but have difficulty paying a 10% buyers premium and cannot even test drive the car. So many cars this year were having difficulty starting during a few cold mornings.
Hitting the nail directly on the head !! great comments 👍🇺🇸🤼*♂️

Old 01-17-2021, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mcronk...hit the nail...right on the head...

Realistically....this is a $40-45,000 dollar car......Nice enough...for that $$$ but no WAY double...with all of it's issues..

It's possible that somebody with more $$$ than knowledge actually DID buy it.....but I think not.....

Just an attempt to over-inflate the values....which is good (I guess)...for current owners...but not so good...for prospective purchasers.

Reality TV...strikes again......It kinda reminds me of wrestling.........Entertaining...but just a load of CRAP...

Old 01-18-2021, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post

Realistically....this is a $40-45,000 dollar car......Nice enough...for that $$$ but no WAY double...with all of it's issues..

It's possible that somebody with more $$$ than knowledge actually DID buy it.....but I think not.....

Just an attempt to over-inflate the values....which is good (I guess)...for current owners...but not so good...for prospective purchasers.

Reality TV...strikes again......It kinda reminds me of wrestling.........Entertaining...but just a load of CRAP...
Agree with your points , Yes but your wrestling comment . We shouldn’t call it wrestling because it is a load of crap , a circus act. It gives real Real wrestling a bad name. Real wrestling happens in high schools ,colleges ,and the olympics

Old 01-18-2021, 02:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Yes but your wrestling comment . We shouldn’t call it wrestling because it is a load of crap , a circus act. It gives real Real wrestling a bad name. Real wrestling happens in high schools ,colleges ,and the olympics
And you're the man who ought to know!

The Following User Says Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post

Good luck finding that car for 40 to 45k unless you can find someone who hasn't been on a computer or watched TV in the last 20 years.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
Good luck finding that car for 40 to 45k unless you can find someone who hasn't been on a computer or watched TV in the last 20 years.
OK...so you think that was a legitimate auction.....and the subject is worth 90k?