THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Working from home so with the extra time I’m just spending it with my family and my son and I are goin motocross riding tomorrow.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being fully retired for a year now I can't tell much difference in my day to day activities. I spend a lot of time in my yard trying to stay ahead of the weeds but they are winning right now. I posted this in a different thread but thought it would be appropriate for this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thoughts.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	536308  

Old 04-03-2020, 11:11 PM
Senior Chief

I work at a steel tube plant, we are considered essential. Work is slow due to oil prices, but we are still shipping pipe. That is till the end of may, when we all get laid off . I get to deal with all the semi drivers coming from New York/New Jersey, Texas and Florida.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looked up some more white B-ball players.

I thought Rick Barry was very interesting. One unique thing about him was that he shot free throws underhanded. Lots of people have badmouthed that style. But, he averaged nearly 90%, over his pro career. At one time that was #4, on the all-time list.

My Dad played college ball. He said that most everybody shot underhanded free throws, back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1ZM_K5L8g

Another good white player was Jerry West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj5wOSZ8M1w

One year, he even won the finals MVP award, playing on the losing team. With a little help, his Lakers team would have won that final game. But, Wilt left the game with an injury, and several guys missed shots, towards the end. Anyhow, Jerry West was plenty good. He played back when there were still quite a few white pro players. Don't know the actual percentage. But, I assume that in recent years, the NBA is made up of well over 90% black guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3LFY1T7ygQ

Old 04-04-2020, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And, how about John Stockton ? All time leader in assists & steals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1VKEViUOi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvv8giVEgG4

Old 04-04-2020, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac's everyday. Driving, wrenching, etc...

Lunch and Dinner with my wife/son everyday. Phone calls/texts to friends/family.

MotorTrend App.

Hiking.

Selling/Trading a lot of Call/Put options. Buying some great stock as it goes on sale. Taking more online courses to keep improving my trading skills.

Buying more rental real estate. Bought another storage unit two days ago to move my cars into. Started the move-in today. Will clean out & put the existing unit up for rent in the coming weeks...

Watching carefully what the Lord is up to in all this, and praying for our country, the world, and continued Grace!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 04-04-2020, 02:00 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Although this thread doesn't address me (we retired folks always have lots of free time, right?), I'll post anyway.
It turns out that "socializing" is [was] a larger part of my routine than I realized. The two hours a day (lunch, then afternoon coffee break) with friends is sorely missed. And I've been surprised how much more tired I now get, with two extra hours per day of garage work. I'm pretty active (no TV for last 40 years) and being on my feet most of my time around home never bothered me- until this last couple of weeks. I now find myself looking forward to sitting here looking at the forums!
As for what-I'm-doing with those extra couple hours, here's an example- would you believe that I've chased the threads of every single used fastener in my garage? Heck, I've even done some organizing and junk removal...

Old 04-04-2020, 02:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What spare time? The time I had been spending on commuting to/from work (about 1hr 45min daily) has been eaten up by eating and sleeping mostly. Working 12A-8A at my age takes its toll. When I was in my early 20's it was no big deal but 30 years later it's tough. I have to take a cocktail if melatonin and Unisom most days because my body still refuses to sleep during daylight hours. Without them I'd get 3 maybe 4 hours of sleep per day. Not enough.

I did manage to pick up a '73 4-speed Grand Am from upstate NY just before this Covid-19 business began shutting down states. PA was already shut down, but MD wasn't. Since bringing it home I've put the rear on jack stands to find a fuel leak that developed on the haul home from NY. Seems there's a pinhole beneath the passenger side fuel tank strap. This really sucks because the tank is almost new, having been replaced within the last 2 years. Been out of the house 3 times since March 20th, to go to the store, and that's it.

No gigs because all the bars are closed. Had a gig scheduled with this new band I'm in for April 25th...canceled. We've got a big one coming up Memorial Day weekend (huge outdoor festival) and I'm getting concerned that one might be canceled too.

Hi-test gasoline is under $2 here, but I feel like a teenager...gas is cheap and I'm grounded and can't go anywhere.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been working in the garden a lot. I've got 18 raised beds of varying shapes and sizes...its kinda like a game of Tetris on my side yard. They are all tilled over and raked out with nice fine soil. My son has been helping me a lot, he is 14, been spending time with him "manning him up". We put in some radishes, cabbage, some lettuce, and the asparagus is flying up this year. He doesn't like it...more for me!! We also cut down a pretty large standing timber tree about 3' around at the bottom and encapsulated in vines. It was about 4' from the shed and split off into four 16" trunks. Chainsaws, chains, ropes, and and a 4x4 quad with a winch borrowed from my neighbor... you know more manly stuff. LOL. I was supposed to get an addition on the garage but the timing was crappy with the virus. My 69 is in storage and 80% off all my equipment is in the shed. Sheesh, I even buried my lawn mower and stuff in there, the contractor was supposed to start the 16th of March. I did save myself some money though by doing all the inside demo, decommissioning the electric, removing insulation, ferring strips and drywall, and the drop ceiling tiles that were nailed to the angle of the roof to hold up the insulation. I helped my friend install a furnace the other day. All in all trying to stay physical and in high spirits, I did manage to watch the tiger king though. Gonna split that wood from the tree today and my son will learn how to do that by hand!!! Stay safe!!!

Old 04-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing...im doing nothing..first time in 20+ years i can do nothing and not feel guilty about it...Monday i am starting to part down a few cars..

No fast food for 2 weeks..and i feel so much better..nothing but good home cooked meals 3 times a day..

I have a normal scedule..no more up at 4 to drive to Omaha or S Dakota for work and in the hotel at 9 or 10..

in bed at 10 up at 7ish...no naps because im wore out..i feel "normal"...dont get me wrong..i love my job..but i havent had a schedule like this since prob the 90s..i kinda like it..

Havent been out of the house for almost 2 weeks except to shop...not bored yet..but starting to want to do stuff..so..we will see how it goes monday.. probably home for 2 or 3 more weeks..my phone has rang 2 times in 2 weeks for work related support...soo i have a few cars laying around enough money to not worry..and am reading books again..i can devour a book a day..or so...life is good for me right now..no complaints..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Redesigning the PC board for the A/C system I designed and fabricated for my homebuilt airplane to make it more robust for eventual customers who might hook up the battery backwards or other silly things inexperienced mechanics do.
After all, how many people just on this board have hooked up their battery backwards and blew out their alternator and other electronics? Even airplane mechanics do that.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm retired so my life hasn't changed all that much besides "confinement" in my condo. I have been playing my guitars more, learning tunes off YouTube. I just purchased 4 new guitars (like I really needed more) to help pass the time. I have also been working on my "partscaster" guitar projects in earnest. For those of you not into guitars, a "partscaster" is a Stratocaster or Telecaster style guitar (as originally designed by Fender Guitars) but assembled from parts of assorted guitars or newly purchased parts. I do the latter, acquiring unfinished bodies and necks and all the other pieces to create a customized guitar.

Here is the current project, a semi-hollow Telecaster style body and neck (an aftermarket Fender item) in American Walnut with a highly figured burl walnut top. I laminated a walnut veneer to the peghead (headstock) to match the body. Wood trim parts are ebony, electronics are similar to what would be found in a Gretsch Country Gentleman (the late Chet Atkins' guitar of choice). I have sprayed more coats of nitrocellulose lacquer than I care to think about on this one. Getting ready to assemble.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 04-04-2020 at 07:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeighborsComplaint For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This has become my life.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-01 Facebook.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	536375  

Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One positive out of this is that I am spending a lot more time a lot more time with my daughters. Card games, board games, movies, etc.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have installed a lot more trimwork in my home.(retired carpenter). Did some painting. Just started on our Masterbath redo., but I am stalled because I am afraid to go to home depot.
My car is cleaner than it's ever been in the the last 17 years since I've owned it.
Cleaning out my workshop and storage area in the basement.

Oh well, everyone be safe and very careful, especially us old guys.

Dave

Old 04-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old meets new...Hammond A102 organ built in 1963, and a leslie 122A speaker. Spent months restoring the organ to as new condition, rebuilding amps, cleaning a bazillion contacts, new tubes, etc. I sit out in my garage playing it for hours now.

Enter new tech...a virtual drum machine I'm playing with...runs on laptop through a sound bar to accompany the organ.

68 GTO
Old 04-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s cool to see what everyone is doing!

Old 04-05-2020, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still working some but got a new KNPV Dutch Shepherd puppy and spending the equivalent of a full-time job training it. I've been around working dogs for a long time but never had one that bites quite like this one! Hands and arms look like they have been through a meat grinder.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This mess hasn't changed my life as much as those working. I retired, moved, and bought a house with a big yard last May. Went from a postage-stamp yard in Seattle to 5 neglected acres in the high desert. Yard and house have been consuming and still are.

Since the virus hit we've been planning a garden, planting seeds indoors, learning about salt-tolerant lawn and dryland grasses, chasing deer off the salt-damaged new lawn, and working on the yard.

I'm currently building elevated garden beds from salvaged garage door panels:

Been tying a lot of flies. I'm not much of a fisherman but hope to get better:

With or without the virus, I want to work on my Pontiac this summer. I've never had it running and haven't touched it since moving. It is needy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	planters.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	536499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Composite.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	536500  

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:58 AM
Senior Chief

I've been WFH, this is week four. For that laptop camera used in conferences, I'm like a TV newscaster. Business on top, casual on the bottom. A polo shirt and pajama pants. My secret got out last week when I had to stand up and close a door because my dogs were barking. Busted!

Been fixing gates for my moms place, and started going thru an olds 425 with my 18 year old son for his station wagon. My cam degreeing skillz are rusty, but we are plus or minus 1* now.

Painted my daughters bedroom too. This much time not spent commuting, etc has afforded a lot of us the time to take on some larger, procrastinated jobs. Mixed blessing I guess. Doing those "need to" but "dont necessarily want to" sort of jobs around the place.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan