THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our governor finally opened up the golf courses and some other recreational things after citizens started protesting the excessive restrictions outside the governors mansion. What I don't understand is a healthy, safe businesses like a golf course were closed, but liquor stores were considered "essential" and never closed. Other than alcoholics, does any one NEED alcohol?

Current "shelter in place" order expires May 3rd.

This is in a state that has the lowest per capita infection rate in the country. Current # of positive tests is only 2,721 and over half of them no longer need isolation. Only 660 ever needed to be hospitalized, currently only 240 are hospitalized and only 107 of those are in ICU. This is in a state with a population of just under 6,000,000 people.

Being in the heart of "fly over country, most people don't realize how large MN is - it's the 12th largest state by area in the country - much larger than NY, PA, etc...

As of the last census - MN has the 21st number of residents, so in the top half in population.

What makes sense in NY, doesn't make sense in the heartland.

I am eagerly awaiting May 3rd, even though I'm a 66 year old diabetic who has had lung surgery and 3 cancer operations. I golfed 18 holes today and it felt great to be outdoors and enjoying life.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 09:15 PM

In Pennsylvania, we have a start up scheduled for May 8th. The western and central counties have not been hard hit. Unfortunately, it’s been focused in the nursing homes with about 60% of the deaths occurring there. I’d like to see a more flexible approach to opening in the western counties were outdoor work, construction, roofing, roadwork, nurseries, golf courses are allowed to open following specified guidelines. We need to get people back to work. This shutdown is devastating to people of all ages in our country.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:08 PM

The news is showing all the places pollution is wayyyyy down, I wonder as we get back it will go back to the smog issues. All the vehicles off of the roads really did help with that. The pictures they are showing were incredible. Some states are al ready opening things up like bowling places? Yeah that’s essential. Lol

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-22-2020, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

Please keep the political "news shows" out of this conversation damn it!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Our governor finally opened up the golf courses and some other recreational things after citizens started protesting the excessive restrictions outside the governors mansion. What I don't understand is a healthy, safe businesses like a golf course were closed, but liquor stores were considered "essential" and never closed. Other than alcoholics, does any one NEED alcohol?

Current "shelter in place" order expires May 3rd.

This is in a state that has the lowest per capita infection rate in the country. Current # of positive tests is only 2,721 and over half of them no longer need isolation. Only 660 ever needed to be hospitalized, currently only 240 are hospitalized and only 107 of those are in ICU. This is in a state with a population of just under 6,000,000 people.

Being in the heart of "fly over country, most people don't realize how large MN is - it's the 12th largest state by area in the country - much larger than NY, PA, etc...

As of the last census - MN has the 21st number of residents, so in the top half in population.

What makes sense in NY, doesn't make sense in the heartland.

I am eagerly awaiting May 3rd, even though I'm a 66 year old diabetic who has had lung surgery and 3 cancer operations. I golfed 18 holes today and it felt great to be outdoors and enjoying life.
I saw where alcohol sales have really spiked during this thing. Apparently those who drink are doing a lot of it since they pretty much can't do anything else.

Re "opening up" the wife and I aren't going to "open up" until they come up with a vaccine. We are in our mid 70s and I have some underlying issues. I'm scared of this thing!

Old 04-23-2020, 10:55 AM

CO is going to open up in stages and were are going to resume elective surgery cases. So we never shut down and have been steady at our clinic, just went to reduced hours the week before. Now we are planning to start regular hours again with current social distancing in place. I think people need to keep in mind like others have said this is not over we are barely in the halftime of this thing. There are a lot of unknowns out there about Covid but we are learning more as time goes on. I just cant believe how some people are acting it has only been 30 days, that is it. Try boot camp if you want to see what it is like to be on real lock down lol. For me I have taken the few extra hours I get in the afternoon to lift some weights and have lost about 15 pounds, strong body strong mind goes along way. I have also been able to get to the car parts from the junkyard that need some refreshing like cleaning and paint. I found stuff I had forgotten were even around, so cleaning out garage as well. Some go on the truck others to ebay, help people use that stimulus money. The ebay money then goes to pay for parts to go on truck. I wish my Dad had taken better care of his truck.
Quote:
Anyway everyone stay safe and remember to use common sense out there, your fellow Americans are counting on you to keep them safe as well as yourself.
The news is showing all the places pollution is wayyyyy down, I wonder as we get back it will go back to the smog issues. All the vehicles off of the roads really did help with that. The pictures they are showing were incredible. Some states are al ready opening things up like bowling places? Yeah that’s essential. Lol
They showed the waters in Venice are crystal clear and LA has the lowest level of pollution in the country. I also saw goats in Scotland (I think it was there) are roaming the town. It is like the goats are going to the people zoo and looking at all the different humans. Isnt that how the Planet of the Apes started lol.

Last edited by ta6point6; 04-23-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
They showed the waters in Venice are crystal clear and LA has the lowest level of pollution in the country.
A little hyperbole?

This is a photo of the canals in Venice now:

That's cleaner than normal (due to lack of traffic, not pollution), but far from "clear".

This is "clear" water:

As to LA having the lowest level of pollution in the country - no way in hell.

The air quality index in LA as I type this is 66. Rochester, MN (25 miles from where I live now) the AQI is 42. Going up to the Iron Range in northern MN where I grew up, Virginia, MN AQI is 13.

https://aqicn.org/map/world/

Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Non essential" construction is May 1st in PA. We do a ton of it, about 60% of the business. I'm starting next week, visiting clients and getting some new jobs lined up. We will be going into peoples homes on May 8th!!!

Old 04-23-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
It doesn't bother me at all. at least the restaurants I visit. They will initially be required to space all of their seating where patrons are at least 10' apart. There will be strict new regulations from the health department. It will be safer than going to the grocery store. Anyway, I'm getting tired of my own cooking or getting take out.

We don’t even get take out or delivery for fear we don’t know who is touching the food or who they’ve been in contact with out of the kitchen. I’ve al ready heard stories of workers who are mad they hav3 to work, spitting on orders that were take out and delivery. I have a suppressed immune system, must follow all suggested rules to a T. So I’m cooking everyday, lucky for me I’m a good cook, and like to cook, but not very good at baking lol. so most of the treats are store bought.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-23-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
"Non essential" construction is May 1st in PA. We do a ton of it, about 60% of the business. I'm starting next week, visiting clients and getting some new jobs lined up. We will be going into peoples homes on May 8th!!!

I’m in the country, we have 3 confirmed cases in the local hospital right now in my town, so Mike will be going back May 1, but where he works is actually a high concentration of cases.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-23-2020, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

North Carolina is taking it slow.
Nothing changes until May 8 @ 5pm
2 More Weeks

That's a Friday - at about closing time - for most businesses.
So for the most part - it will be May 11 Monday morning

Old 04-23-2020, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I’m in the country, we have 3 confirmed cases in the local hospital right now in my town, so Mike will be going back May 1, but where he works is actually a high concentration of cases.
As of Monday St. Marys had 68 cases with about 40 presumed positive. My good friends wife works with these patients 48 hours a week. I just spoke with her last night and about 2-4 people are dying a day there. She said it is slightly declining. 1946 was the youngest year she saw. My friend Mark is a maintenance guy there and there is a refer truck there with bodies. St. Marys is the biggest employer in middletown so everybody knows someone who works there. I really feel bad that people cant say goodbye at a funeral. Be safe!!! I cant wait to see Burt someday!!

Old 04-24-2020, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Minnesota announced a collaboration with the Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota medical centers. Mayo has developed a serology (blood) test that is supposed to be able to greatly increase the number of people who can be tested each day, and hopefully it will speed up the timeline for returning things to (more) normal. One of my best friends is the manager of one of their blood labs, I need to call her to see if she's going to be involved.

Speaking from personal experience, Mayo can crank out blood tests like no one's business - even in normal times, thousands upon thousands of people are tested every day and they turn around the results super fast. When I go there for my appointments, I get blood drawn at 7:30am and the results start showing up in my email within the hour.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tagging on to Stuart's post....

I doctor at Mayo for everything. I just had my Oncology checkup on February 20th. I had my blood drawn at 9:00 AM and had the results before my scan at 10:00 AM (they need to know my creatinine level before the scan).

I go in for my annual physical blood work on May 8th. I wonder if they'll to a Covid 19 test on me while they are running all the other blood tests???

Old 04-24-2020, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might ask your Dr to add it to the blood test?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-24-2020, 07:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
My work is all new, or "non-essential", construction so the start up will be interesting. The mind set I deal with thinks progress is too slow on a good day. Now that all the projects are 6 weeks behind I'm sure they'll be very understanding.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here in upstate NY my wife says they haven't had a new Covid patient in the last ten days ... 3 in the ICU that no longer have Covid but have other underlying conditions.

Here she is in her PPE that she wears when dealing with the Covid patients. (Minus the goggles she has to wear)

In this part of the country it's had little, to no effect as far as the impact of the actual Virus. Looking like probably the first week of May they might start ramping things back up again.

I refer to her as "Front Line Worker" when she comes home each day

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mary-in-Virus-Gear.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	538273  

Old 04-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Here in upstate NY my wife says they haven't had a new Covid patient in the last ten days ... 3 in the ICU that no longer have Covid but have other underlying conditions.

Here she is in her PPE that she wears when dealing with the Covid patients. (Minus the goggles she has to wear)

In this part of the country it's had little, to no effect as far as the impact of the actual Virus. Looking like probably the first week of May they might start ramping things back up again.

Thank her

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mary Margaret Hoolihan ? 4077 MASH - Century 21

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

Was a volunteer FD 1st responder for 28yrs. Have very high respect for medics, nurses, and doctors.
Thank her for me too.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
The Following User Says Thank You to Region Warrior For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread