Old 10-22-2019, 03:01 PM

Default '68 -'69 hidden Headlight Actuator Inner boots.

Would like to see a better quality of the '68 -'69 hidden headlight actuator Inner boots. If I'm lucky I get a year out of a set and am tired of buying/replacing them. Problem is the rubber is just too thin and of poor quality. Should be an easy fix to make the rubber a bit thicker if nothing else.

The Following User Says Thank You to Two_70_Converts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

+10

I just posted the same thing in the "parts you would like to see reproduced" topic.

I assume you are talking about the inner seal ... that seals from the can to the actuator rod? As a workaround you can wrap it a couple times with .025 lockwire, bend the twisted section up. Will seal the top of it anyway ... the bottom kind of sucks too, but at least you can put some sealer on that. Half the time a decent 50 year old OEM seal works better than a brand new repop seal.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:14 PM

Yes, that's the part I'm speaking of. The problem I have is we shouldn't have to do anything to get them to continue to work. There is no reason these should not work at least for maybe 5 years. Simply increasing the thickness would help. They are just too thin. I agree, I have had some OEM 50 year old ones that are in better shape than the replacements but no more.