Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I recently had a person want me to eat shipping and PayPal fees. That was almost $30.00 on a $100.00 item. Ain't happening. When these people start getting a Double Wopper at Burger King for the price of a single then maybe I'll reconsider. Its getting more and more like swap meets are the way to go for sellers and perhaps buyers alike.

What some people do not understand is that many sellers lose money by shipping. Most everyone I know, myself included, only charge the actual cost the shipping outfit wants. When that happens we lose money on time, fuel, tape, bubble wrap, styro peanuts, boxes, printer ink, printer paper, Sharpies and anything else involved with shipping an item. Have any of you bought a roll of shipping tape lately? I don't mean the dollar store garbage, I mean good shipping tape. Its not cheap.
I use Ebay as a buyer all the time. I often pay seller user fees ... %4 ? Is it %30 for commercial sellers?

I understand shipping perfectly, I have had my business since 94. Shipping logistics is a business in itself, what needs to be understood is that Internet Parts Outlets do not have the huge overhead as the local chain stores, often wholesale warehouses are off the beaten path saving huge dollars on rent, less overhead, less staff, but more logistics and shipping supplies, keeping the pen sharp on shipping costs is as essential as saving electricity. I have been in the retail automotive business since 84, I have seen this industry change and the internet shopping is %90 of how things work now.
If we stay on topic and use my case as an example, small box which should have been enveloped, costed me $14 to ship only one state over, in comparison I ordered a box of parts from Rock auto shipped to my door in Canada, brokers fees included for $16 (I don't believe RO took a loss) another purchase from a different company heavier, more expensive, farther away costed under $4. Basically I am suspecting that some companies just have a flat rate for shipping and use this to "pad" orders and not just to cover costs. Just the sheer number of people complaining about shipping fees on this one thred tells me there is a problem and there is more too it then "cheap customers"

No hate in my reply , and it's not really directed at Chief o 60's, just random talk. I like my Ames parts outlet, and would like to continue doing business with them.

Regards

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't been on here much lately. I have been buying and selling some parts...I just received 2 doors for a 71 Buick Riviera shipped from Wisconsin to Long Island NY...$150 which was a lot less than I thought it would be! The seller used FASTENAL they have much better rates than others they will ask you what you are shipping....and tell you exactly how to pack it....they have many 'terminals' you will have to drop off to and pick up from...kinda no frills ,but much cheaper....Shipping these days is toooooo expensive and is hurting our hobby, at both ends!

The Following User Says Thank You to ERIC AULL For This Useful Post: