Old 06-25-2019, 03:53 PM

Default 1967 Gas Tank Kit

Need to buy a complete gas tank kit and lines, any suggestions? Is stainless steel tank worth the extra cash.....

IG: #67MoparBird (Follow my rebuild)
1967 Firebird 400

Appeared on Gearz, Season 16, Episode 1, Segment 'What Are You Working On?'
Old 06-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

I just pulled the original tank out of my 68. I decided to toss it because the car had been in storage for nearly 20 years and the tank had a nasty sludgy kerosene smell to it. I really think the tank was salvageable but after putting the money into getting it cleaned out, the hassle of remove and replace, I decided to put a new sending unit, new rubber gasket parts all just for peace of mind.

Sorry...your question...stainless worth it...I don't think so but I did. The factory one has been in there since 1968, hasn't failed and is only getting replaced because of my neglect and that I'm not all that interested in keeping it 100% factory original.

A couple questions for you, why are you replacing the one you have, what's your goal and do you live in a particularly corrosive environment? That stainless by the way is really shiny...not sure I'm too happy about that...I'm told it will dull over time but so far not so much.

I did get a sending unit with larger pickup. I only did this because years ago I did some racing and up-sized the lines. I wanted a simple transition.

Bottom line, I'm guessing this will be the last fuel tank this car sees in my life time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_163450.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	514821  

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear

Last edited by punkin; 06-25-2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 PM

When I bought my rusty Bird, she didn't have a gas tank, it was already gone. I live in the northeast, but will not be running her in the winter if there is salt on the road and will not be driving in the rain as well.

Stock does not matter, not a numbers matching car, 1967 Body, 68 rebuilt 400, 18 inch wheels, shaved off drip rails, after market rear spoiler, 69 camaro seats and mopar destroyer gray it will be clothed in down the road.

With more hp that the stock motor, should I go to 1/2 inch gas line? Also, do I need the return line?

Thanks

DM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I just pulled the original tank out of my 68. I decided to toss it because the car had been in storage for nearly 20 years and the tank had a nasty sludgy kerosene smell to it. I really think the tank was salvageable but after putting the money into getting it cleaned out, the hassle of remove and replace, I decided to put a new sending unit, new rubber gasket parts all just for peace of mind.

Sorry...your question...stainless worth it...I don't think so but I did. The factory one has been in there since 1968, hasn't failed and is only getting replaced because of my neglect and that I'm not all that interested in keeping it 100% factory original.

A couple questions for you, why are you replacing the one you have, what's your goal and do you live in a particularly corrosive environment? That stainless by the way is really shiny...not sure I'm too happy about that...I'm told it will dull over time but so far not so much.

I did get a sending unit with larger pickup. I only did this because years ago I did some racing and up-sized the lines. I wanted a simple transition.

Bottom line, I'm guessing this will be the last fuel tank this car sees in my life time.

IG: #67MoparBird (Follow my rebuild)
1967 Firebird 400

Appeared on Gearz, Season 16, Episode 1, Segment 'What Are You Working On?'
Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the Tamraz one. Free shipping from Ebay, affordable. Made in Canada. Its fine. My one complaints was the carriage bolts for the straps were short and difficult to install. I went to Lowes and grabbed a pair that were a half inch longer. Made life easier.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports