Old 07-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default A6 compressor leaking at seam at back of case

On my 76 TA the compressor is leaking at the seam at the back. Is this a common problem and if so is it worth just replacing that seal only? I’m guessing that it would be better to take it apart and replace the other seals at the same time but I thought it would be good to ask. Thanks

Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The most common leak area of an A6 compressor is the front clutch shaft seal. The OE design allows a slight amount of oil to bypass and lubricate the seal/shaft area. That's why so many underhood blankets have the famous oily streak right above the AC pulley. The rear cap/case seal is less common. Complete seal kits are available but front seal success is greatly improved with a special tool kit for installing that seal assembly. It includes a shaft protector and seal installer. It's important to not handle the ceramic seal with your hands, especially the actual seal area. The A6 is a wonderful compressor and well worth re-sealing or having it done. I have never understood the logic of replacing such a durable and proven compressor with the cheap Japanese or Chinese aftermarket units on classic cars. Yes I know they are smaller, weigh less, and take a little less HP to turn. They still look wrong IMO. Good luck with your repair.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks

Old 07-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've replaced front seals and clutch bearings on A6s but haven't replaced any other internal seals. If I recall correctly, the case seal on the rear is an O-ring but can not tell you how difficult job it is to replace.