Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman View Post
I like that you are using a separate small tank and pump, similar to the S.A.F.E. system I linked the YouTube video of if I understand what you are writing.
I may use some 100 octane AVGAS or 110 octane Turbo Blue (Sonoco) or equivalent in that tank. The benefit being the higher octane fuel is reserved for the greatest demand event-nitrous oxide use-and pump 93 for my current 440 6bbl and the 421 Tripower works fine for all other uses. That way the expensive fuel only gets used when needed. I will probably add a splash of Marine Sta-Bil 360 to the race fuel to act as a stabilizer/"preservative" but that all remains to be seen in the distant future.
I actually did buy the SAFE tank. I bought just the tank and figured I would use my pump and regulator that I already have. It fits into the battery tray perfectly. It actually has a gas guage built into the cap. Nice piece and going to work great. Thanks for the link to it.

9" done. EZ EFI 2.0 with FAST dual sync distributor and separate nitrous system done. Track is at 4300 ft elevation. so far a best of 11.95@116. Suspension now getting dialed in...tubular front a arms with dual adjustable coil overs HR Parts n stuff rear bar and whole car lowered 3 inches..
Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 AM

Well I am nearly complete with my install. Whole thing has been kind of a snowball effect but hopefully everything I have assembled will work out. Have had to make many changes along the way. Started out with the installation of the FAST 2.0 EFI and a new tank from tanks Inc with fuel pump in the tank and the FAST distributor so I can control timing. As I started the install I read many articles trying to see what problems others had and tried to do everything to eliminate these issues. removed all my wiring so I could rewire everything away from unwanted electrical interferences. Relocated MSD box as well to keep space from other wiring. Looked hard at the fuel pressure issue so I could use the wet nitrous system I have and ended up using a complete separate fuel system which turned out pretty nice I think. Then looked at the intake I was using as from what I was reading a dual plane was not ideal for the EFI so I went with a new Northwind and had it ported to match the edelbrock heads. Got the micro switches for the throttle and clutch pedal mounted. I am just finishing up routing the remainder of the FAST wire harness and the nitrous wiring. I do plan on getting the EFI settled in good before trying the nitrous but does anybody have an idea of how much timing should be retarded to start with for the nitrous activation? Also once everything is running good with the EFI I would also assume when using the nitrous I should be using a colder heat range plug? How much colder in general? Thanks

9" done. EZ EFI 2.0 with FAST dual sync distributor and separate nitrous system done. Track is at 4300 ft elevation. so far a best of 11.95@116. Suspension now getting dialed in...tubular front a arms with dual adjustable coil overs HR Parts n stuff rear bar and whole car lowered 3 inches..
Old 03-14-2019, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey1 View Post
I actually did buy the SAFE tank. I bought just the tank and figured I would use my pump and regulator that I already have. It fits into the battery tray perfectly. It actually has a gas guage built into the cap. Nice piece and going to work great. Thanks for the link to it.
I'm glad it worked out. I figured it would, and by your feedback I am more certain it is a good choice for me.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Senior Chief

2° timing retard for 100HP shot was suggested, and some said none required for "only" 100HP shot.
I have no 1st hand experience so I defer to those who do have experience with NO2.
One range colder, but I defer to others, again.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I'm glad it worked out. I figured it would, and by your feedback I am more certain it is a good choice for me.
Will post a pic when finished...

Old 03-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
2° timing retard for 100HP shot was suggested, and some said none required for "only" 100HP shot.
I have no 1st hand experience so I defer to those who do have experience with NO2.
One range colder, but I defer to others, again.
What I have does 100, 150 and 250. was only planning on going to 150 but starting with the lowest 100 to get started..

Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, I look forward to the pictures.
Smart to start low on the NOS.
I have a center carb spray plate from a Nitrous Express 6bbl System made for my (or any like mine) Holley 2bbl.
I have that on hold as other things have taken precedence over a nitrous system.
This all regarding my 440 in my Roadrunner.
The next steps for the GTO is sending the 3 Rochesters to Dick Boneske along with all the build and cam specs so he can do them up to match the build level of the 421.
That is going to be the last go around for the Rochesters. If we can't get where we need to be after Dick works his magic, a 3x2 fuel injection system is going on. I'm hoping the Rochesters get us there, especially with the potential cost of EFI 3x2 system.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:14 AM

Here are a couple pics if I can get them to work

Old 03-24-2019, 02:15 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks! Great to see someone doing what I thought and think would be a great idea, and thanks to Nitrous Express for making a great product.
Let me (us) know how it all works, I am particularly interested in the SAFE tank kit, and also I think my idea of using race fuel or AvGas in the SAFE tank is a added safety and performance option!

Old 07-15-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Great to see someone doing what I thought and think would be a great idea, and thanks to Nitrous Express for making a great product.
Let me (us) know how it all works, I am particularly interested in the SAFE tank kit, and also I think my idea of using race fuel or AvGas in the SAFE tank is a added safety and performance option!
Well was finally able to go to our "local" track this weekend. Closest one to me anyway. track is at 4200 feet altitude. The nitrous system ran flawlessly. I was impressed. Made 2 passes on spray, first one was 11.980 @ 115.77 and second was 11.957 @ 114.50 with full factory weight of the car. Figuring out my shifting with the 6 speed manual and I believe it will get better.

Last edited by pokey1; 07-15-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Senior Chief

Long awaited post Pokey1!!
Did you use the 100 shot?
Any timing reduction for the NOS?
When in the 1320 did you "hit the button?
What fuel did you use in the SAFE tank?
What does your car typically run w/out NOS?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Long awaited post Pokey1!!
Did you use the 100 shot?
Any timing reduction for the NOS?
When in the 1320 did you "hit the button?
What fuel did you use in the SAFE tank?
What does your car typically run w/out NOS?
I was using the 150 shot

I am using 36 degrees all in normally and had it set at 32 degrees total on nitrous activation input.

I am using throttle activation so I was leaving the line at part throttle around 3800 rpm then catch
2nd gear and drop the hammer to the floor from there on letting up to shift each time.

I am using straight 110 VP race fuel in the SAFE tank and just non ethanol premium in the regular tank. Was told that the leaded race fuel can shorten the life of the O2 sensor so figured this would keep it to a minimum.

Saturday ran on motor only all day and ran 12.8's thru full exhaust all the way out the back. Sunday opened up exhaust cutouts for first run and ran 12.6. 2nd run with cutouts open used nitrous and had the 11.97. In the afternoon heat ran a 12.6 again and then next run on nitrous ran the 11.95. There is more there but I was happy for the day and went home with nothing broke...

Old 07-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

So 6/10th or better quicker on 150 shot spray. 4 degrees less advance. Lifting off the gas pedal on gear changes (since I got a rev limiter in both the Roadrunner and the GTO, I don't lift when I change gears in the Roadrunner, and I wouldn't lift in the GTO if it shifts as well as the Roadrunner does. No issues bouncing off the rev limiter).
Same kind of fuel in both tanks that I would likely use. Leaded fuel will damage the O2 sensor(s) so I hear.
What makes the timing retard by 4° ?
Ignition system or separate timing control box? What ignition system do you have? I'm using a Pertronix billet aluminum distributor and Ignitor III Module.
Thanks for the thorough answer!

Old 07-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
So 6/10th or better quicker on 150 shot spray. 4 degrees less advance. Lifting off the gas pedal on gear changes (since I got a rev limiter in both the Roadrunner and the GTO, I don't lift when I change gears in the Roadrunner, and I wouldn't lift in the GTO if it shifts as well as the Roadrunner does. No issues bouncing off the rev limiter).
Same kind of fuel in both tanks that I would likely use. Leaded fuel will damage the O2 sensor(s) so I hear.
What makes the timing retard by 4° ?
Ignition system or separate timing control box? What ignition system do you have? I'm using a Pertronix billet aluminum distributor and Ignitor III Module.
Thanks for the thorough answer!
I have been running the old MSD 6AL I have had for years. Also have a rev limiting feature on the FAST 2.0 that works by reducing fuel. I figured that would be bad reducing the fuel with the nitrous so had set up the MSD for my limiting. After talking to a friend of mine more familiar with running nitrous he said no no.. using the MSD cutting out spark would be worse that cutting fuel. If you cut spark it could load up in the cylinder and cause a problem. Letting the Fuel injection cut fuel would be fine as the wet nitrous system would always give the nitrous the fuel it needs, it is not dependent on the EFI for fuel. That is the way I went and it works well. Thought about trying to shift like you say but a little leary of hurting the 6 speed trans... they tell me it will hold up but getting yourself to do it is tuff. will probably try at some point when more comfy with it. I had been running a V Gate shifter with the old Muncie for 36 years and used to shift it that way in the GTO...

Old 07-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks pokey1.
I really appreciate the detailed answers.
I am about to send the 3 Rochester 2bbl carbs to Dick Boneske and the engine build and cam specs to him to work his magic on them.
Because of time constraints and a good reputation, I had All American Carburetors "restore" the Rochesters, but they rebuilt them to stock specifications and that just doesn't work for the level of build of thev421.
I am definitely hoping that that does the trick and we get the most out of the engine performance wise, and my wife doesn't have reliability problems.
Should I get screaming calls from yet another failure to start when hot, or any other carburetor specific problem that can't be tuned or tweaked to resolve, a 3x2 EFI system is the next and final solution, but that comes at a significant price.