Old 07-03-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
You have to make sure the ratio/rate of the throttle is compatible with the TV plunger, and allows for full plunger action and WOT.

Read the TV101 link on that page I posted before, will give you an idea.
Agreed. I have not checked the setup with the sniper yet. When I ran an edelbrock carb, I had to address what you mentioned to make it work correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Tank vent needs to be at MINIMUM higher than the top of the tank, best would be as high as the filler neck/cap. A separator is the best solution, not sure if there was one from the factory on your application though.
I did buy this:
https://www.iimuch.com/collections/f...ts/fuelvent2dm

I don't know if it is really a separator or not. Problem is I can not find a place to install this (that I like) that is as high as the filler neck. Rembember, my car is actually an el camino and I dont want to install it in the bed if I can help it.

Short term I am going to install a checkball type of vent inside the filler cap of the car right next to the fill tube..

Old 07-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are nice, a little expensive, but very nice. You can pretty much install it anywhere, and run lines to the tank vent, just as long as the lines don't capture/hold fuel.

Remind me, the tank is in the rear behind the diff hump on those? What's the OE vent config?

You could do a bracket on the frame rail, mount the separator you got there, on an L bracket. If you mount it to the front or rear of the peak of the frame diff hump, the tire will clear it that way. It would be better to mount it on the inside of the frame rail, would be safer, you pick up a rock in the tread and spin the tires, it could spark.

Maybe take a pic of it under there and post, sure you will get a few suggestions here.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I spoke to Holley Tech today about doing this and they advised against it. They said the wix fuel filter had a 5/16 return line and that the supply and return needed to be matched to avoid problems. They said that if you had a filter that had the proper return line size such as one of their billet ones (probably a shameless plug) it would be ok but they could not recommend the wix filter. The holley fuel tank comes with the tanks fuel filter so I guess I will just run a dedicated return line.
Better off that way. I prefer to have the return line as close to the carb (or EFI) as possible, which is usually done by the regulator that is mounted close anyway. Reason being is that it keeps all that fuel the entire length of the car moving, and cool. Mount the vette filter by the tank and the fuel sits stagnant in the supply line all the way to the engine in low speed and idle conditions. Just invites vapor lock possibilities. I've seen issues on a few cars setup like this lately, they generally don't like the AZ heat with a fuel system like that. Besides all that, the vette filter has too small of a return for any type of performance work, as Holley already told you.

I prefer 1/2" line feed and return, and running the length of the car. Best way to do it, supports upgrades later, trouble free, and never look back.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:07 PM

I will take some pictures.

66 el camino only a vented cap and a hose "tapped" off of the filler tube that goes back to the tank..

Yes - expensive. It comes with an L-bracket in the config I bought.

Another thought I have is to run a hose from the tank up to the filler neck and then back down to the vent (II MUCH) wherever I can mount it with it being at least above the tank (i.e. so it can't create a siphon.) This up and down idea with the vent line would essentially be similar to what I saw on another post on this website. I think it was a 68 pontiac that has a metal vent tube that is connected to a hose that come up from the gas tank into the trunk then turns back down through the trunk and vents under the car. If I can find the picture of it I can post it.

I also have a 3/8" inline one way check valve that can go inside the vent line for rollover protection, and presumably to help prevent fuel from coming up the line in normal operation.

Last edited by 455'73inElCamino; 07-03-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added comment about pontiac trunk vent.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not saying right or wrong. Just posting what I have working on my Sniper. External pump( came with the kit), stock 3/8" hard line feed, 5/16" return line. I went with the everything in the box kit because I didn't want to have to chase around ordering things from different places. Haven't had any starvation issues with it yet but then I haven't pushed it real hard yet either. I do have 72psi running fuel pressure instead of the 59.5 that they say the regulator is set at. I assume it's because of the slightly smaller return line. The Holley tech said it should be fine to 90psi with out issue. The pump isn't noisey. The only time I hear it is when it initially primes. I don't know if it gets hot. Never checked it but it is exposed to free flowing air so I doubt it does. At some point I may swap out to an EFI tank but it probably won't be until I have issues with what's on there now. Have about one year on the present setup. So far so good.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 07-13-2019, 11:09 AM

I have pictures that I will try to post tonight. I have not been able to get this website to work on my computer until today. I am guessing it was down for July 4th weekend "maintenance".

Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 AM

I am going to have to redo the pictures.

I did talk to Tanks Inc. again and he did say that I can run the pump vent hose to the vent tube at the top of the fuel filler tube, and the tank vent to the actual vent supplied, which should be at the highest point possible. In other words, these two vent hoses do not need to be tied together.

Also, he said that this can be done while using a NON vented gas cap.

It is my thought that the tube/hose going to the vent can be made to go to a much higher point than the vent itself and then come back down to where the vent actually gets mounted. I believe this is consistent with the vent tube that is found going up into and then back down out of the trunk on GM cars.

Of course the vent still should be as high as possible and there should be no sags in the vent line where fuel can accumulate.

Anyone see why the vent hose should not be run as high as possible? Given that the vent is going to be higher than the tank there should be no danger of a syphon effect.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Finally, I have the two vent lines in. Again, I will get the pictures done this week.

It is different in many ways that what I originally intended but I think this will work.;