Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Plumbing advice for bypass filtration & oil cooler

I'm looking at purchasing this dual remote oil filter bypass system:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=BMK23-EA

I already have a remote oil filter mounted on my passenger side firewall and I plan on replacing it with this.

I am also going to install an oil cooler which will be inside the nose of the car on the passenger side.

My question, is it going to be OK to go out from this bypass filter setup to the oil cooler, then back to engine? That won't cause too much of a drop in oil pressure? Even at idle?

Just wondering the bets way to do this before I pull the trigger on everything.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
I'm looking at purchasing this dual remote oil filter bypass system:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=BMK23-EA

I already have a remote oil filter mounted on my passenger side firewall and I plan on replacing it with this.

I am also going to install an oil cooler which will be inside the nose of the car on the passenger side.

My question, is it going to be OK to go out from this bypass filter setup to the oil cooler, then back to engine? That won't cause too much of a drop in oil pressure? Even at idle?

Just wondering the bets way to do this before I pull the trigger on everything.

Thanks!
WOW, a thread that is asking about a by pass filter system never happens on PY. Since I advocate these filter systems, and used to be a dealer for Frantz, I probably have more experience with this type of system than most anyone on PY.

The by pass filter system is a circuit that is restricted to a 1/8 inch restrictor, the circuit is teed into the original oil circuit, usually at or near the oil pressure switch/sender, then runs to the by pass filter, and immediately returns directly to the sump/pan by means of a separate return hose. It's not meant to do anything other than filter the oil slowly and completely, (the reason for restrictor) and return clean oil back to the pan, it absolutely cannot be used inline with the existing oiling system because it will starve the internally oiled engine parts. The by pass system filters roughly 4 quarts of oil in 5 minutes, way to little oil to keep the engine supplied for lubrication and cooling.

Just to sum it up, the original system is only used as a pickup point for the by pass system to tap into pressurized oil, after that the two circuits share nothing.

Below is the schematic for the systems showing the oil pump is the only shared component:

Your oil cooler will be plumbed the same way as it would be without a by pass system, with as little restriction as possible before the oil is sent to the internally oiled engine parts inline with the factory oiling system.

The design of the factory system (filter on the pressure side before the oil reaches the internal oiled parts) is why the full flow system does only a marginal job of actually filtering the oil. It cannot be restrictive because the priority is to send oil to the engine dirty or not, it has to reach the engine parts. Filtering is only done at a rate so as to not starve the engine. It's a compromise that only gets the larger particulate filtered out. The smaller stuff keeps on circulating abrading the engine parts and fouling the oil to the point it has to be drained out because of the contamination level.

By adding a by pass system you will also increase your oil capacity by at least 1 quart. The by pass system will also cool the oil somewhat just by the oil flowing through the filter some heat will be radiated through the filter canister, two pluses.

Congratulations on having the fore thought to buy a quality filter system, it will pay dividends from the minute you install it. Best part is it can easily be transferred to anything else if you decide to buy another vehicle. You'll only buy it one time, but it will keep paying dividends as long as you use it. One of the few automotive additions that pays you back by saving on engine wear, and extending the oil life exponentially by filtering 100% of all the oil sent to the by pass filter to a very high standard, with no harm to engine parts. On my diesel truck the by pass filter system paid for itself in about 3 years, payoff of course is contingent on miles driven.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad,when I saw the thread,first thought that you would be SOooo happy!LOL,Tom

Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad, from the looks of this system, it looks like a return line isnt needed? like its all plumbed internal to the dual filter housing?

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
Brad, from the looks of this system, it looks like a return line isnt needed? like its all plumbed internal to the dual filter housing?
You are correct, I was unaware of this system from Amsoil. It must be fairly new issue. I never clicked the OPs link, my fault.

Anyway, the oil cooler must still be plumbed into the full flow factory side of the system with the full flow filter. The by pass filter can be split off of the high flow side and returned to the high flow side before the oil reaches the engine, which is just how Amsoil has engineered it. This negates finding a place to plumb in a return line and runs both circuits parallel to each other.

I have a 3 port sandwich adapter on my LS2 that oil is split off for the by pass circuit before entering the factory full flow filter and is returned to a port after the full flow filter and before the engine. Since the LS2 has a cast aluminum oil pan I elected to plumb mine so as to not having to plumb a return line to sump/pan. The Amsoil system is doing the same thing as my sandwich adapter.

To simplify, there are still 2 filter circuits one on the full flow side and one on the by pass side. The difference is instead of returning by pass filtered oil back to the pan, it is just dumped into the full flow high volume side between full flow filter and engine. It works just as well as the return to pan system does, just simplifies the plumbing back to pan.
The by pass circuit is split off of the high flow circuit and can be returned to it after passing through the by pass filter.

Sorry about the information, I just wasn't aware that Amsoil was making this particular system now. I must have been soooo happy to see a by pass filter question I jumped the gun...........................

1984 Grand Prix

Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok so it's as simple as going from the return, to the oil cooler, then back to the adapter?

Anyone know which of those thread adapters for a Pontiac 400 block?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Ok so it's as simple as going from the return, to the oil cooler, then back to the adapter?

Anyone know which of those thread adapters for a Pontiac 400 block?
Yes, it has to be inline with the larger hose side and return to block. No difference if the cooler would be before, or after the filter.

This should be the adapter needed, as near as I can cross reference.

13/16 - 16 UNS thread
Adapter # BK302

Amsoil's oil filter reference only goes back to 1980, as many know a Pontiac 400 last year was 1979. That said I referenced a PF24 AC filter and they have no listing for a cross reference. I then searched by thread size and pitch and came up with the BK302.
You might want to give their technical department a call to verify that the BK302 is the correct adapter before you order it. Hopefully they have some reference for a Pontiac 400 earlier than 1980.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 06-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome, thanks allot for all of the info, really appreciate it!

Now I can go shopping for an oil cooler.

Alex

Old 06-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=801243

Make offer if interested.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to update, I scored and Amsoil filter and housing here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122566087603

I already have the block adapter and the lines. I'll also be tossing that giant fram filter for a smaller Wix for space. Hopefully I can cram that bad boy on my firewall where my current external oil filter is.

I'm going to skip the oil cooler for now due to budget reasons, but that will get added later.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Senior Chief

Tagged for info source