THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The one that's nearest where I live now has been closed for about 35 years.
The concrete base for the screen is still there and the 'hills' for the rows of cars are still present. I only went to one movie there, back in 1980, to see The Jerk with Steve Martin.
Spent most of my drive-in time in Michigan. There was one in the next town over from where I grew up and it had an unofficial nickname of 'The Passion Pit".
There were better ones farther away that I would go to a couple of times a summer. I never minded the inferior quality of the speakers.

The first time I ever saw Thunderbolt and Lightfoot was at the drive-in, in my sister's '68 Tempest.

They would sometimes show oddball stuff at that drive-in. Once I went there and one of the early shows was a collection of Hollywood bloopers hosted by William Conrad.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Apocalypse Now was the last thing I seen at the drive in, wow, that was 79.

This comes to mind, "Hey man, it's raining out here you guys"

I haven't heard it in over 40 years, ah memories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNvbrRvQgmE

Frank

Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 PM

We have one in my town its five minutes from my house. Warwick Drive in NY 10990

Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I grew up in the Hampton and Newport News area of Virginia. In the early to mid 70's we had several options for drive-ins. My favorites were the Anchor Drive-In and the Peninsula Twin. During that time a local radio station (WGH) offered a deal where a car load could enter the Twin for 1 dollar if they displayed the WGH Flicker Sticker on the glass. (This station is so old that it has only 3 call letters!)
I still have the Flicker Sticker on my left quarter window.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:25 AM
Senior Chief

There is one called Haar's Drive-In just off of U.S. 15 in Dillsburg. For anyone that is at POCI in Gettysburg this weekend, it's only a half hour drive north.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 07-20-2019, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's one just down IN 64 from our home in Georgetown, IN. Been here for decades but is only open Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-20-2019, 04:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got one right here in beautiful Milford NH. 2 screens. Always a fun time

Old 07-20-2019, 06:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
We had one in town now it's a mall. MA was that on 611? Bucks County Drive-In? been there a couple of times back then. Still one not far from us http://www.shankweilers.com/
Another in Lehigh area - Becky's Drive-in in Walnutport. Been wanting to try it. They have a couple cruise nights there too.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is one called Skyway Drive-In Theatre located right off of hwy 42 in Fish Creek, WI. It's a very nice place that my family goes to every time we visit the Door Peninsula. Last Wednesday we saw Toy Story 4 and Aladdin while vacationing.

There is still the remnants of a drive in theatre located a mile up the road from my house. It saddens me to see it sit in disrepair every time I drive past. In my early teen years, one of my best friends lived across the street from the threatre, and during the daylight hours, we would jump the fence and turn all of the speakers in the back row all the way up so we could sit on his parents roof and watch for free. The threatre has been closed for 30+ years, but the framework for the screen and the projector house still stand. The same owner still owns the land, but most of the land around it has been bought up and developed as a medical complex. It's for sale, but I'm guessing that he is asking a small fortune for it.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is a drive in in Mendon Mass. that is still open, and it was started in 1954.

Went as a kid in the early 1960's, took my girlfriend there in the early 1970's, and took my kids there in the 1980's.

Cool times all.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stags View Post
Another in Lehigh area - Becky's Drive-in in Walnutport. Been wanting to try it. They have a couple cruise nights there too.

They have a big car show there as well. I think there’s a drive in in schnecksville? Right on the 309? Very close to Trexler Game Preserve.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 07-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
Apocalypse Now was the last thing I seen at the drive in, wow, that was 79.

This comes to mind, "Hey man, it's raining out here you guys"

I haven't heard it in over 40 years, ah memories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNvbrRvQgmE

Frank

I knew this topic would bring back a few memories, of another time and other cars we all had, relationships etc.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was in grammar school, back in the '50's, my family went to the one just South of Jonesboro, LA. I think the first car we went in was a 4-door Stude, with the rear suicide doors. Only show I remember seeing there was Gone With The Wind.

It must have closed before I was old enuff to date, in the mid '60's. By then, the only one I remember was in Ruston, LA, about 25 miles away. Not aware of any in this area for a LONG time.

The only time I remember going in my '69 GTO, was in either '71 or '72, during NG summer camp. It was at Camp Beauregard, in Pineville, LA, which is very near Alexandria, LA. So, the drive-in was probably in Alex.

According to this, there are none in LA, now.

https://www.driveinmovie.com/LA.htm

Wow ! In looking at those in surrounding states, I found this one in TX, which didn't open 'til '04. They now have 7 screens, can have up to 800 cars, and are open every day of the year.

https://www.driveinmovie.com/tx/enni...ve-in-theatre/

This one, built in '13, has only 4 screens, but has a 1300 car capacity. I had no idea that ANY were built this century, much less any that big. Would be interesting to know what is the most cars they've had at one time.

https://www.driveinmovie.com/tx/fort...yote-drive-in/

http://coyotedrive-in.com/fortworth/

https://www.facebook.com/CoyoteDriveIn/

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-20-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have one outside of Springfield OH that's about 10 miles from our house.

When we go to Eldora Speedway to watch the sprint cars we pass one on the west side of Dayton (Rt 49) going up there in the afternoon. Returning in late evening (usually 11-12 midnight) we can see the movie playing on the screen from the road as we drive by it.

Consulting the local Yellow Pages, we have 4 in the area, 2 that I wasn't aware of.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Have one here

We still have on here wtih two screens, about a 10 minute drive.Haven't been to it in over 20 years but they are still open year round.

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't been to a Drive-in in years. One question for those that still go to the Drive-ins that are open. Do they still have the Hot Toddy chocolate drink in the can? That was my favorite.

Just checked and there is one in Vineland, NJ about 50 miles away from my house.

Delsea Drive-in. Reopened in 2004 after closing in 1987. $11.00 admission. Open Spring thru Fall. You can bring in your own food, but you must buy a $20 food permit from them to do so.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 PM

There are still quite a few drive-ins operating in the Pittsburgh area, including in Butler PA and Moon Township.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Suspended

They built a drive in on the outskirts of Richmond a couple of years ago.... you have to get there 2 hours early to get in.... it's a huge hit here... other than that they are all gone

Old 07-21-2019, 03:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On a non-related topic .... I watched a 2004 "Punisher" movie tonight ... main character was driving a 69 GTO ... even showed a few shots of him building the engine ... and yes it was a pontiac engine.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is one in Long Prairie MN, about 30 miles from me.