67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry John ,wont be there for that....

but who knows , when I`ll be driving thru the area again....a beer will always taste fine!
I`ll take you up on it!

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 07-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bjorn,

Fixing that bumper is easy, but you may need to add 10 minutes for removing and replacing the cocktail shakers. Simply loosen the two bolts holding the bumper to the quarter panel and have a friend pull up on the bumper, then retighten. If it's really tough, you could use a block of wood and a floor jack. It really won't take much force to straighten and FWIW, I've mounted pristeen bumpers that want to droop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, it wasnt that bad....took us about 45 mimutes thou, no need to remove the cocktail shakers, because we had a long extension...BUT we also had to loosen the rear side bolts, plus the rear ones holding it around the filler area...that part actually had to be shimmed, it was not letting us just bend up the ends otherwiese...we used a lift and a piece of 2 x 4 to support the bumper edge as we lowered the car...one time was enough on drivers side ,3 attempts on passnger side...drivers side came out perfect , passengers almost perfect, (bumper must be warped some).

Thanks John for that tip...now I feel like an expert on rear 69 bumpers!
Im` gonna be a pest now for everyone that has a crooked bumper!

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 07-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rear bumper problem is due to the poor design of the bumper/jack relationship. My first two 69's (owned in 74-75) had the droopy look after I jacked the cars up a couple times with the factory jack.

Just my opinion, but these cars should never be jacked by the bumpers, especially the rear. Oh yeah, I've had them roll off the jack more than once, because of the way the jack is angled a bit under the car even on level ground.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glenn, thanks , Yes I was aware of where the problem stemmed from ,just didnt know how to fix it...thought bumper needed straightening, but never had to get it off the car....by the way , just sent that info to the "L" list on fgf this am...

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bjorn,

I'm glad you got it straightened out As a former bodyshop owner it kills me to see these misaligned panels and bumpers on cars that have obviously had a pretty nice paint job performed on them. It's a problem on all the FGFs, not just the 69s and again, I've had NOS bumpers with the same problem.

John

Old 07-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, didn't sell. Shocking isn't it?

Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John , nice to hear you were a body shop owner...might get some more hints from you!...
I only worked at our body shop for 2 months...took a 'totalled' Volvo 145 ,fixed it up as my training, drove it 2 yrs...it was part of my NADA Dealership mgmt training...my dad owned a Mazda and a Volvo dealership and I ran those for 7 yrs...until my dad remarried a woman 7 yrs my junior when he was 75! all H*ll broke loose, I was fired because she wanted her hands in the businnes,& I went back to architecture (had to start my own co., nobody hires an architect that hasnt worked in architecture for 7 yrs and is almost 50!) ....his businnes got sold, he died ...and so on,so on......
can you say "Falconcrest, Dynasty or Dallas" ? LOL

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 06-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bumping an old tread on "crooked bumper syndrome" Saw a couple of nice '69s yesterday & that drives me nuts!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 PM

I just put a new bumper on a 69 and noticed the ends being tilted down. Loosened it up and pushed up as much as I could and they are still slightly pointing down. Looked at an original paint 69 and noticed the same thing. I think originals were not as parallel as everyone assumes.