Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Placing orders with our sponsor

I know it can't be me, I'm no rocket scientist, and I buy a LOT of stuff on line.

Rock Auto, NAPA, Auto Zone, Sams's Club, Amazon, Ebay and many others.
UPS and Fedex are here so much I feel like I need to buy them Christmas presents in Dec.

I have yet to be successful ordering parts on line from AMES.

Lord knows they support this site, and therefore I feel an obligation
to spend here when I have the opportunity. It has to be the worst search function I have ever seen.

End of rant, comment or carry on, it is what it is.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

We are working on updating the website. If the search option on the website does not work for you there is always our free catalog to find the part numbers which we can mail to you or you can view and or print for free right on our site. And of course you can always call us at 1-800-421-2637 and will gladly help you out!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great to hear. Although I buy as much as I can from Ames, and usually do so by phone, there are times especially on weekends and evening I'll buy from more user friendly web vendors and ebay simply for convenience.

In the rework of your website I would encourage you to include a Paypal payment option because that greatly expedites the checkout process and negates the need to input shipping information.

Good luck. Done well your redesign will quickly pay for itself in increased sales volume.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I would like to see on any redesign is status for the item whether it is in stock or not (before being put in a cart), as well as the shipping costs calculated and added at checkout.

And if you would default to using USPS for Canadian-bound orders (or make it a clickable option), you should be able to get the shipping cost calculation automated with the cart, as many other websites do.

Very irritating to place an order and not know the shipping costs until after it starts being processed...and UPS to Canada is too expensive due to brokerage fees so 99% of us want USPS shipping when possible.

And I agree 100% with Bentwheelbob, you will get more sales volume if things are easier to buy. I want to support you as much as possible, but tend to use you mainly for large orders that I am going to pickup at a show, or for things that are hard to get elsewhere, simply because I don't want to place and order and wait a couple days to find out the stock and shipping status, and then have to look elsewhere if they are not available.

Ideally, I should be able to search for items, add to the cart, get a shipping estimate, then checkout and pay without having to call or email.

One thing I really appreciate and that you should keep is the picture of the item and your opinion on the quality or any fitment issues. This is valuable and appreciated and I will buy the item from you based on this info when I am not clear how quality differs from other suppliers.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the description of the quality of the items. Yes definitely keep that. On smaller orders though shipping needs to be realigned some. I ordered the clip that holds the wiper motor to the transmission because I had to have it and I didn’t have anything else to order at the time. The shipping was as much as the clip and you could have literally put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it

Old 05-26-2018, 08:05 AM

A new classic Pontiac owner, I am seeing that it is a real pain to order let alone TRYING to track anything :(
.Just had to put my 2 cents in....and more. I returned something and the cost of shipping was way more than what I paid for the item. I would have been
better off to just throw it away.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 AM

X2 on shipping cost for small orders. Kinda wish they had some kind of progressive loyalty program
(e.g. http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_customerRewards.php).

Also sometimes the quality of parts reflect off-shore manufacturing sources. example: ordered M250P from cat g34 pg 176. Wire colors were reversed for F and R terminals. Took 5 mins to fix after replacing the 50-year-old part and discovering (What the ??!!) Alt was now not charging the battery.

Am glad they are around and do get the bulk of my parts business.

Last edited by integrity6987; 05-26-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to say I've been buying parts from Ames for almost 20 years. Mostly phone initially but now 90% online. I've never had a problem as once items are in the cart and I view the cart, I can see what is backordered or not.
The only time I phone an order in is when the shipping costs far outweigh the price of a small item and I make a request that it get put in an envelope and shipped for lower cost rather than in box for a $16.00 shipping fee.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would estimate that about 75% of the new parts for my 77 t/a restoration came from Ames. They are my go to, most of the time I dont even pick up another catalog. I am getting ready to start another restoration of a 79 t/a, and most likely will again use Ames as my go to. However, I have to agree that the website ordering leaves a bit to be desired. I typically will make a list of the product no.'s I am ordering and will phone the order in. This has always worked great for me, but is probably not the most efficient way to do so.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:36 PM

I buy more than 75% of my Pontiac parts from Ames. I agree the web site isn't greatest but the search function is really simple to use once you've done it once or twice.

I generally use the Search by catalog by car model (Firebird, GTO ext...) narrow it down by year and section and then occassionally sub section and everything falls in place nicely. Once in a great while I have to use search by key word but I too love the pictures and make the website issues worth the price of admission!

Only when looking for the da#m headlamp switch and separate pull knob did Ames not have what I needed. Did I mention I hate that switch and how it is engineered and installed?

Recently ordered from Ames one of the coolest things I have ever gotten from any car parts vendor... #FA825W Convertible Complete Deluxe Interior Screw kit. I will take a picture and upload soon. It had each screw type individually packaged and labelled. Worth every bit of the $155 I paid!

Honestly my parts search is harder than most, I have a 1st gen Firebird with a 3rd generation motor. WX Code 455 from a 1976 TA.

So I have to stop and think when it comes to engine and Drive train parts. Hardest ever was determining which cables and brackets to use for the accelerator and kickdown. I ended up using shot gun approach bought everything available and still ended up modifying parts to make it all work.

Love Ames and highly recommend!

Dan
69 Firebird Ragtop
455 bored out to 464 CI, TH400, Moser built Ford 9" with posi.
Wilwood Disks stopping 225Rx15 in front and 245Rx15 in rear...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 06-06-2018, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dan, on a side note, do the screws that come in the package match the originals? I have bought that type of hardware from another vendor who shall remain nameless and have been very disappointed. What they sent was generic and nothing more than I could've got at a local auto parts store. I am getting ready to start another resto and am will be in the need of this.
Also, a 76 t/a is second generation.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Yes they do appear to, though I don't have all the original screws so in some cases I can't be certain.

I keep forgetting to take pictures, I hope to do so this weekend.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Dan, on a side note, do the screws that come in the package match the originals? I have bought that type of hardware from another vendor who shall remain nameless and have been very disappointed. What they sent was generic and nothing more than I could've got at a local auto parts store. I am getting ready to start another resto and am will be in the need of this.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The bottom line is that the consumer is changing with technology and Ames is not. To be completely honest, I wonder how much you are losing in sales due to all the above statements. I appreciate those that still use the phone but let’s face it, that is not the norm any longer. If you really want to sell you need to model after the big retailers the best you can.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
If you really want to sell you need to model after the big retailers the best you can.
that costs money. and when you are not one of the big retailers the money has to come from somewhere. prices go up and people will bitch. everybody thinks everything is easy. what works for one doesn't work for another. damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario

Old 06-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate all the support Ames gives us Pontiac fans (by focusing on our brand) and understand the cost but sometimes you have to invest in order to improve your sales volumes. NPD, OPGI, Year One are hardly big box but definitely have better point of sale websites.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I buy parts every day for projects. Yesterday I ordered about $1200 worth of Trans Am parts from Ames, NPD and Eckler's. The Ames search operation is basic and simple. Best of all - it WORKS!!! And if Ames is out of stock on an item, it will be highlighted in yellow and tell you it's out of stock. Who else does that?
Now, the 2 others have search features that totally SUCK! There's no reason to wade through 44 pages of Chevy crate motors and LED lights because you want Pontiac intake manifold bolts. Ames doesn't have that issue, but too many others do.
BTW, I always call in my orders, regardless of what company it is. I prefer the personal interaction, and all of the Ames sales people are good to deal with.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually have one order a month coming from Ames ... but yes, I'd definitely buy more if the site was a bit easier to use. Yes on the PayPal, Yes on automatic tracking emails.

And ... love the quality/originality comments on the items, gives me much more faith in the products. Love knowing the differences between what I am ordering and original, some parts it matters to me, others it doesn't, but it's very nice information to have.

Not a fan of the shipping costs, but I can work around that by combining orders.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames is the first place I go to in ordering my parts. There descriptions let you know exactly what your getting and you know if it's the right part for your build. I have found other sources catalogs tend to show items listed for your year build that might not be factory correct.

But I have to admit that I order all my parts by searching through the catalogs and then calling in my order. Old school I guess, but it's all part of the fun of getting new parts and you get to ask questions that you might have about your order.

This forum is worth a few extra penny's in shipping cost to me, the help I have received from members has been priceless.

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 06-28-2018, 10:16 PM

I found some items are described differently in the Ames catalog than on the website.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Here are the pictures I promised. So far I love this kit.