Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

Default 34th Trans Am Nationals

Well the Trans Am national s (Fairborn Ohio) are approaching.The dates are August 24,25& 26th. I will be bringing my street car "Brewster", my wife & I always enjoy the time we spend here. Where else do you get to see 300-400 Trans Ams, Firebirds & Formulas. I was hoping to bring my road race/ street car but she's not finished yet. I am looking forward to seeing other participants. Thanks Mark

Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Senior Chief

Default Picture of last year

This is a picture of "Brewster " last year at the Trans Am Nationals . Everyone going have a safe journey. Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	490475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	490476  

Old 08-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Senior Chief

Nice. I will be there in my 79 Formula

1979 W72 Fire Am
1976 Fire Am
Old 08-20-2018, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother and I will be there with our Formulas (driving of course). We're looking forward to the best Firebird show in the world in Tipp City.

Dennis

Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stop by the UnitedFBody Booth in the vendor area, factory paperwork, parts, nOS parts, and we are offering the Freedom Nattery toppers at a discounted show special, all 3 blue toppers plus the new black toppers will be there. We don't do tipp city, it's the same show, we gather in the booth instead, stop by and say hey, we're hanging out Late having cigars drinks so on on Saturday night.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 08-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will be attending this one again in the future;
This time in the '70...
but it might be a while...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	491148  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I will be attending this one again in the future;
This time in the '70...
but it might be a while...
Looks like if you put in a couple of all nighters you could have that car ready

Have thought about going every year for the past 7 or 8, now that my car is done I need to make serious plans. Same ole, same ole but gonna try to make it next year.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Looks like if you put in a couple of all nighters you could have that car ready
Oh, there's ALOT of work ahead of me... and my kids have a great way of gobbling up time that I might otherwise spend on the car... all in due time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
... (I) Have thought about going every year for the past 7 or 8, now that my car is done I need to make serious plans. Same ole, same ole but gonna try to make it next year.
if i can make some suggestions;

1) don't make your plans have any serious weight on meeting up and hanging out with people you don't know;
The crowd at TAC whom I used to talk with alot back then REALLY let me down when they were very rude in ignoring me in person...
Bring a friend - or better yet, if your married, make a trip of it with your spouse.

2) ABSOLUTELY, plan on going to the Tipp City Cruise;
I ended up meeting up with some Aussie's who also felt ignored in person, and we had a great time hanging out - the Tipp City cruise was probably my highlight event... and if not for the Australians, I wouldn't have gone.

3) if it's a big drive, take the opportunity to check out some other sites, or meet up with people along the way.
I met up with a great family who run a Firebird restoration company in the Chicago area, and they prompted me to check out the Volo museum - which was another highlight of my trip.

Next time I'm going that way, I will detour to check out the Pontiac museum... and probably stop at Volo again

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great Advice.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Stopped by yesterday. Inconsistent but persistent rain showers throughout the day. I'm a First Gen owner and it feels like the numbers are down. Many more 3rd gens than I recall from 6-7 years ago.

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 08-26-2018, 08:31 PM
Senior Chief

Well I got my reservations at the host hotel as early as possible & I was planning on attending this event again last year. I made several expensive upgrades to my car new windshield, new interior door panels, new and rear plastic panels & replaced several pieces of crumbling trim pieces. My car looks very nice I have entered it in 3 central Ohio car shows & it has always received a plaque or trophy in each show. So it is a nice looking car. However at the Trans Am nationals you are treated like a red headed stepchild with leprosy if you car has very many alterations from stock.
I was afraid this would happen again like last year. I was placed in the very back of the car lot . I thought it couldn't get worse. I was WAY wrong. This year I was placed at the very end corner of the far lot beside some huge storage containers & several Non Pontiac/street cars. The only worse place would have been on the other side of the fence along the freeway I was only a few feet away from that.
I didn't care if my car did anything in the show .I enjoy talking to people. However Saturday I sat by my car for 5-6 hours & only really had 2-3 people come over to talk to me about my car. The way my car was placed I wasn't really a part of the show. I have attended this show many years I started attending in 1989-90 with my dad. This car was a car my Dad owned and built in 1989 & I did all of the paint & body work at home by myself. It was a huge disappointment to me.
So I guess my advice is to anyone with a modified Trans Am or Firebird to leave it at home. Or park in the guest parking lot because your spot will be just as good. My wife drove her C-6 Corvette & it was parked closer to the action in the guest parking lot. So Sunday Morning I just loaded up around 10:00 & headed Home. Here are some pictures of the "Show Parking Space" they provided Me.
The last picture is a view from my corner of the lot at the rest of the show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ta1.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	491578   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	491579   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta3.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	491580   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta4.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	491581  

Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a sucky spot.

What class were you put in?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This looks like a 76 or newer car with T-Tops and an early front end (70-73) on it?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-26-2018, 09:12 PM
Senior Chief

I had a great time as always, lots of 3 rd gens and 4th gens, count did seem low overall but there were a lot of new faces too.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cruiser - sorry to see you were put out in the boonies.
I attended the Nat's in 2006, and the 'custom' class that you were put in aas actually an arguably nicer area than the stock class.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

I like the looks of the 1973 trans am I have 3 1979 trans am 1979 trans am are everywhere, I specialized in sculpture so I used fiberglass to re-construct the pieces do my conversion. Many people ask how I put T-tops on a 73. Of course people that are knowledgeable about these cars can tell with no problem. I represent the car for what it is a 1979 modified Trans am. This car was modified to make me happy. I guess my competition was the Dodge SUV or the 2 cargo Shipping containers. The actual car I was planning on bringing is a really really radical wide body Trams Am Road Race style with full custom ground effects. I asked them about where that car would fit in. The guy said unless it has nitrous a blower. Or a turbo it would fit in the same class my Brewster green car. Even though it is 700 HP 700 ft-lb. NA Built by Butler & runs on Race gas & Runs low 10s all day long. At least if I was in the prostreet or whatever they call it I would have been an actual part of the show.
1st thing clean out the non participants give them 1/2 hour to move & then tow them away. I don’t want some 4 door SUV whacking its doors on the side of my Trans am it’s a car shoe not a car parking lot! Just my 2cents mark/Cruiser

Old 08-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cruiser, That does suck. I would have moved it despite what the TA Nats show people said. There was plenty of room in front of the hotel that they probably wouldn't have noticed if you did.

Otherwise, it was a great show and our group had a wonderful time. I agree that the show field seemed to have a record number of 3rd and 4th gens, but many were really nice. I'm starting to appreciate them more as the years go by. The Tipp City cruise is always the highlight for us after a long day of concours judging and a tall ice-cold captain & coke!

Dennis

Old 08-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your spotted def. looked like it sucked! You have a nice looking car. Like most events, not everyone is going home happy. I wish I could have made the trip this year.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:58 PM

So is there a place for non-judged Birds to park away from daily drivers???
If so, what is the cost?

Old 08-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went again this year and had a great time. We had intermittent rain on Saturday and an unexpected downpour on Sunday morning. I thought that attendance was about the same as last year. The Tipp City Cruise was fun with perfect weather. Here are some photos:

BJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk