Old 11-19-2018, 03:20 PM

Default 1974 GTO VIN number decoding

When evaluating a possible 1974 GTO for purchase, the prospective buyer can do some quick due diligence to see if it is a factory produced '74 GTO or a "tribute" or "clone". The first seven digits of the VIN # can give you a pretty good indication before you ever get to ordering PHS documentation on the vehicle.

1st digit should be 2 for Pontiac
2nd character should be Y or Z for base or custom Ventura
3rd & 4th digits should be 17 or 27 for hatchback or coupe
5th character will likely* be B for 350 ci 200 HP engine
6th digit should be 4 for 1974 model year
7th character is the assembly plant (W= Willow Run, MI, L=Van Nuys, CA)
8th - 13th digits are the sequential build # for a specific car

Ex. 2Z17B4W??????.

I have had a 1974 GTO in my possession since it was born in 1973 and my VIN is 2Z17B4....... I know a K for the 5th position is listed in some literature as the 350ci 4bbl, dual exhaust for 1974 Pontiacs, but I haven't seen a 1974 GTO VIN that doesn't have the B engine code in the 5th position, but perhaps there were some produced with a K in the 5th position of the VIN.

Hope this helps anyone to be able to do a quick VIN decoding to see if the car they are looking at is a factory '74 GTO.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I almost passed on a real 74 GTO many years ago because the 5th digit was a B, and the literature I had said it should be a K. Fortunately, a little further research convinced me the B was correct....

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red74Goat View Post
When evaluating a possible 1974 GTO for purchase, the prospective buyer can do some quick due diligence to see if it is a factory produced '74 GTO or a "tribute" or "clone". The first seven digits of the VIN # can give you a pretty good indication before you ever get to ordering PHS documentation on the vehicle.

1st digit should be 2 for Pontiac
2nd character should be Y or Z for base or custom Ventura
3rd & 4th digits should be 17 or 27 for hatchback or coupe
5th character will likely* be B for 350 ci 200 HP engine
6th digit should be 4 for 1974 model year
7th character is the assembly plant (W= Willow Run, MI, L=Van Nuys, CA)
8th - 13th digits are the sequential build # for a specific car

Ex. 2Z17B4W??????.

I have had a 1974 GTO in my possession since it was born in 1973 and my VIN is 2Z17B4....... I know a K for the 5th position is listed in some literature as the 350ci 4bbl, dual exhaust for 1974 Pontiacs, but I haven't seen a 1974 GTO VIN that doesn't have the B engine code in the 5th position, but perhaps there were some produced with a K in the 5th position of the VIN.

Hope this helps anyone to be able to do a quick VIN decoding to see if the car they are looking at is a factory '74 GTO.
Thanks for the info. I looked this up once I seriously suspected the fake. My own stupidity for believing a seller and buying sight unseen. It was advertised in Hemmings, the owner was knowledgeable, and I just didn't check. Since GTO was an option, not a model, VIN style, it never occurred to me that the engine digit was unique to GTO and therefore a sure indicator of the "real deal". Duh! Sometimes my own stupidity even amazes me.

That said, I'm looking at this as a positive thing: no need to preserve the column shift automatic as a quirky option. Time to find a complete floor shift manual transmission setup. That American Powertrain TKO600 is looking mighty attractive, if I can find the funds.

Its' also no longer necessary to save the 350, since it's not the VIN number original engine. It is a real 200HP, screw-in stud 350 though. I assume it has little more than scrap value.

Any advice on locating a stick shift setup?

Do I need a blowshield if I only run the car on the street and NEVER powershift?

Stuart