Old 03-27-2019, 08:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Default GALE BANKS ON BOOST

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...d-about-boost/

Great Article

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Boost Engineer

ONE OF THE BEST POINTS IN THE ENTIRE ARTICLE:
"“Can you get the idea that the boost gauge doesn’t mean a damn thing,” says Banks. “All these examples are at 20 pounds of boost and power levels are all over the place.”

Tom V

Same thing applies at 12 psi too.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for sharing Tom, great article!

I've helped some people with supercharged (positive displacement type) projects, who have been frustrated that they don't make the same power at "X"-psi as their buddy with a turbo at X-psi. Trying to explain concepts like "positive displacement" , PV =nRT, moles, ... and why they are NOT going to make 1,000rwhp with a 1.9 liter blower...

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 03-29-2019, 03:06 PM
Boost Engineer

I have been playing with Moles, Kilograms per Second, R Specifics, and Lbs per Minute for years and find it a very interesting subject as related to Boosting.
Same thing with how Engine Testing is performed and the variables that really matter, vs a "Boost Number" or a 'Played With" Dyno Number.

Gale Banks has been in the game for a very long time and has a history of making power in many Boosted engine types:
Diesel, Gasoline, Methanol, Natural Gas, even has some Hydrogen background from working with me on a Hydrogen Powered Bus.

He also has run every type of Supercharger, Turbocharger, NOS, configuration you can imagine in Boats, Cars, Semi-Tractors, DEVGRU
Seal Boats, Attack HumVees, etc.

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 03-29-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:09 PM
Suspended

Thats like Boost 101!

GTO George

Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Then Mr Boost 101, why do you constantly brag about boost numbers if you were aware of what Gale Banks has been saying for years. Come on Big Boy, tell us. We are waiting. You have hundreds of posts bragging about your boost number.

Tom V.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Suspended

I use boost numbers for the same reasons everyone else and NHRA uses them.

GTO Geirge

Old 03-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Boost Engineer

OK POST UP WHAT THOSE NHRA REASONS ARE FOR THE BOARD MEMBERS.

Tom V.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
OK POST UP WHAT THOSE NHRA REASONS ARE FOR THE BOARD MEMBERS.

Tom V.
Well for one is in the pro mod category NHRA limits the turbo cars to only 34 lbs of boost.

GTO George

Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 PM
Boost Engineer

That is like saying that if you are not 17 years old you can't watch a given movie, George.

Purely a number thrown out there to limit the engines to some arbitrary boost number.
(based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system).

Have to try harder than that George.

Tom V.

If you had read the info from Gale Banks: "The boost gauge never includes the ambient pressure, but that is part of the charging of the cylinder. So, stop talking boost and start talking MAP.”

So if you don't specify the Ambient Pressure at the track conditions, in the rules, you are just throwing out a number George.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 03-29-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Nice try old man! LOL!

GTO George

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 PM
Boost Engineer

Yep, Just a Couple of OLD Boost Guys trying to help a racer out who just will not listen to how things really work.
Other people on the forum will learn, I could care less if you ever learn how it actually works.

Tom V.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Yep, Just a Couple of OLD Boost Guys trying to help a racer out who just will not listen to how things really work.
Other people on the forum will learn, I could care less if you ever learn how it actually works.

Tom V.
Learn? Oh heck I’m doing fine, cars running great is quick....going rounds very little breakage! Life is good!!

GTO George

Old 03-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Boost Engineer

Not posting the info for you dumbaze, posting the info for people who want to go fast with Boost. Not Bracket Race.
That is an idea, maybe we need a Bracket Race Forum where you could pass on all of your racing wisdom from many years of Bracket Racing.
I will stick with Boost and how to make engines live, make great power, and perform a lot better for the other 99% of the people in the Boost Section.

Tom V.

Gale Banks basically implied, in his article, that people like you don't know chit George, And every one knows it.
Charlie66 knows 10 times more about boost and how to calibrate carbs and EFI (in 10 years) vs you in 50 years.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 03-30-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Suspended

You know and I know you don’t........that there are cars out there bracket racing that are quicker then 99.5% of our Pontiacs.......right? In the Pontiac world and I do have a Pontiac I’m quicker and make more power then probably 95% of the Pontiacs out there! LOL!

GTO George

Old 03-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
You know and I know you don’t........that there are cars out there bracket racing that are quicker then 99.5% of our Pontiacs.......right? In the Pontiac world and I do have a Pontiac I’m quicker and make more power then probably 95% of the Pontiacs out there! LOL!

GTO George
I kept my 64 GTO because I bought it new. That is why I have a Pontiac.

What you do with your Pontiac doesn't matter one bit to me.

Tom V.

I assume that you are using a weather station. If you are, then you have already
acknowledged that Mr Banks article was correct. And the other members know his article was correct.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes they are limited to a max boost. and yet they show up at the next race and run a new personal best. Funny that way, that boost is just another number that can not be changed yet they still manage to keep running faster.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 03-30-2019, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually got to have a conversation about boost with Mr. Banks back in 2003. The diesel injection shop I was working at was hosting Mr. Banks during the Mid America Trucking show. This was shortly after "Sidewinder" had set the world's speed record for a diesel powered vehicle at Bonneville. The man has forgotten more about boost using turbochargers than most of us will ever know. He had one saying that has stuck with me every time I see some dimwit with his billowing clouds of diesel smoke, claiming he has more "par"..."Smoke isn't a sign of power. It's a sign of inefficient combustion."

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 03-30-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Boost numbers dont vary that much with changing weather conditions.....since I don’t make it to Denver my boost numbers stays basically the same. I do have a Data recorder and look at it after every pass. At Norwalk the weather stayed the same, I made 3 pulley changes.......my boost numbers changed and I went quicker with every change.

GTO George

Old 03-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Boost numbers dont vary that much with changing weather conditions.....since I don’t make it to Denver my boost numbers stays basically the same. I do have a Data recorder and look at it after every pass. At Norwalk the weather stayed the same, I made 3 pulley changes.......my boost numbers changed and I went quicker with every change. GTO George
DOH! A Pulley Change obviously changes the rpm of your supercharger vs the engine rpm.
That is like boost 101. Wow! Put that on a Billboard for the racers to learn from, LOL!

Whatever makes you happy, George.

Tom V.