Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Boost Engineer

Default SINCE THIS IS ALSO THE EFI SECTION OF THE FORUM

I thought I would post up some pictures of a couple of special EFI installations as thought starters for the members to think about.

One of the vehicles was a V-10 engine with a dry sump system, (I did the dry sump system) and a special slide valve
throttle body unit with ram horn induction. 605 HP if I remember correctly.
(Years ago project we did for Carroll Shelby). The basic concept car was also copied and used in several scenes of a XXX Movie. http://www.powerpassion.nl/mustang/s..._new_film.html

Tom V.

(ps KEVIN BIRD of the Two Guys Garage later fame was the Project Manager for the car.)

The Slide Valve Throttle Body set-up was OK for the Movie and the Race type action shots but was not acceptable for a normal daily driver application. Eratic Idle. We built several vehicles with this engine, here is another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford-Shelby-Cobra-Concept-Mays-Shelby-Ford-pic-14.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	509428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford-Shelby-Cobra-Concept-Mays-Shelby-Ford-pic-19.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	509429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford-Shelby-Cobra-Concept-Mays-Shelby-Ford-pic-8.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	509430   Click image for larger version

Name:	tomvGR1#1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	509431  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 04-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Another comment, and a couple of videos
Even as an older man, Shelby was a very aggressive driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXQj3lTeO90

Building the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIrfiNgnHC8

The last video is when they sold the car;

Has a nice little blerb about Henry Ford's Home and about the specs on the vehicle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG1PvXvHlbU

One of my old Bosses Chris Theodore was able to purchase the car for around 850,000.
He was one of the High Level Bosses who authorized the work inside Ford Research & Advanced Engineering.
The Charity Money went to help restore the Estate and House of Henry Ford (the first).

https://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...d-developed-it

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Boost Engineer

So did you notice how clean some of the component installation was?

No reason why a EFI installation could not be the same with a bit of effort vs having wires scattered all over the place.

Tom V.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was one thing that put me off efi, how ugly it looks with all the wiring draped over the engine-I'll have to put a bit of thought into mine

Old 04-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

Just finished with the Sniper EFI. Regards to a clean install there were only two in the face lines to contend with, the heat sensor and the O2 sensor. For the heat sensor we used the location of the old OEM sensor in the top left of intake since I was already using the other side for an Autometer mechanical gauge with it’s lead running under the runners over the valley pan so almost invisible. The EFI temp line runs across the top front of the intake only a few inches then back to the opposite side of the throttle body. For the O2 lead from the left side of the throttle body, it crosses over the intake then drops down the front of the block and disappears. Not that much exposure and I am sure I will be able to tidy it up even more. Everything else is behind the shaker and effectively out of sight. In addition, instead of a fuel line up front from the previous mechanical fuel pump, that too and the return come up from the back also behind the shaker so much cleaner. So, only two single lines have added to the engine compartment detailing. The shaker helps.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Thinks get kind of busy if you go with a "coil on plug" ignition set-up vs a OEM Pontiac Spark Plug Wire loom, but it still possible to clean that up too.

Tom V.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, add to that all the hose and tubing from a dry decked /reverse cooling system, control lines/oil feed lines to the turbos, it gets to look like a bag of snakes.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Somewhere I have a picture of an engine with all of the reverse cooling hardware and that alone makes the engine really "busy", but in my opinion with any real boost level (25 and above) you really need the dry deck and the reverse stuff.

The V-10 Hydrogen Engine Buses used a heater core feed scheme like the 65 and later Pontiac heater systems. We noticed that the passenger head was running a totally different temperature profile on the dyno vs the drivers side head. We wanted both heads to be the same.

I had them convert the water feed for the Heater system to the front of the head/intake (like a 64 GTO system) and the water temps thru the heads water temperature and EGTs were very close to each other (drivers side head vs passenger side head).

Pontiac Engineers made very few mistakes but letting the bean counters change the water flow thru the heads was not a good decision, in my opinion.

Tom V.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Boost Engineer

Pontiac Engineers made very few mistakes but letting the bean counters change the water flow thru the heads was not a good decision, in my opinion. Tom V.

I will add another comment, related to Pontiac Engineers.

I personally think the Front End Accessory Drive "Engineer" should have been fired early on in his career. It seems like EVERY YEAR, that 'Pontiac Engineer' changed something on the front end of the Pontiac Engine. There is always something different between the year by year 'drive systems'. Pulley changes, water pump changes, number of belts to drive the pulleys, two belts driving the same pulleys, one belt for each accessory, and it kept getting worse each year. By 1978, it was a real disaster to remove the timing cover on the engine.

So to condense the above mistakes:

Bean Counters saved a few bucks and screwed up the cooling on the passenger head vs the 1964 and previous year heads.

Idiot doing the FEAD Systems, cost the factory many times the heater hose cost with the yearly FEAD changes.

Just Saying. DESIGN YOUR BOOST SYSTEM SO THAT IT WORKS CORRECTLY THE FIRST TIME YOU DO IT.
NOT AFTER, ATTEMPT AFTER ATTEMPT, EACH YEAR.

Tom V.