Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Default WASTEGATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Wastegate...... Isn't that TV's new nickname?
If so that would be quite a compliment.

A WASTEGATE PROTECTS THE ENGINE FROM DAMAGE AND HURTING THE DRIVER INSIDE THE VEHICLE. I try to do that in every Boost Post.

A WASTEGATE METERS THE EXACT AMOUNT OF EXHAUST VOLUME TO GET THE JOB DONE.
A WASTEGATE IS A CONTROL DEVICE THAT PROTECTS THE ENGINE VS LETTING THE ENGINE SELF DISTRUCT DUE TO STUPIDITY.

A WASTEGATE BASICALLY IS BULLETPROOF FROM ANY 'HEAT" THAT IT SEES.
KIND OF LIKE THE BS WORDS IN SOME OF THESE FORUMS.

So thanks again for that nice name there Chief. It fits perfectly.

Wastegates can't fix stupid though. You fit into that category.

Tom V.

You are asking good questions George, keep it up.
Procharger Vehicles use "By-Pass Valves" as protection devices to save the Boosting Device and the belt drive system when you quickly let off of the gas and the throttle shuts or restricts the flow to the engine. Prochargers and Vortech Superchargers do not like trying to pressurize a closed system. (CLOSED THROTTLE). The By-pass Valve creates a vent for that pressure.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

S.M.H.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Boost Engineer

How About you post the words vs use code that some might not understand Jim.
Simple request that you should be able to comply with easily.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it means

Shake
My
Head

Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
I think it means

Shake
My
Head
I believe so. At one time I thought it meant ”so much hate”.........haha

Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
S.M.H.

Jim

GTO George

Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For reference...
Number one Club House rule, per B-Man 9 years ago...

If it starts in here, it stays in here.....
We have noticed a trend here, members who participate in the Club House bringing their petty little fights onto the regular forums.

Not only that, we have seen members with references to these fights as well as links to Club House threads in their signatures.

We can't have the PY membership abusing the privilege of using the Club House for their entertainment by spreading their Club House nonsense onto the regular forums.

We will remove your posts from the regular forums and may even issue you a formal warning, leading up to the revoking of your posting privileges here on PY.

We don't moderate the Club House but we will moderate any Club House fights, references or stalking we might see out on the other forums.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
For reference...
Number one Club House rule, per B-Man 9 years ago...

If it starts in here, it stays in here.....
We have noticed a trend here, members who participate in the Club House bringing their petty little fights onto the regular forums.

Not only that, we have seen members with references to these fights as well as links to Club House threads in their signatures.

We can't have the PY membership abusing the privilege of using the Club House for their entertainment by spreading their Club House nonsense onto the regular forums.

We will remove your posts from the regular forums and may even issue you a formal warning, leading up to the revoking of your posting privileges here on PY.

We don't moderate the Club House but we will moderate any Club House fights, references or stalking we might see out on the other forums.
I am all for that deal, If you want you can remove this whole post and tell the member who came from the clubhouse, no name calling in the Boost Section Please.

In my post I made several comments about what a wastegate really does so hopefully those will remain.

Tom V.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thought this was relevant, "What is a BOV" ?

How not to look like a idiot on the internet !

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/vide...ff-valve-does/

Thanks for all the information Tom.

Frank

Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Boost Engineer

A Blow Off Valve can be two different things depending on the application.

Early Paxton Supercharger Bonnets used to have a spring and simple valve on the Bonnet (Carb hat) that opened when the Boost Pressure reached a certain amount and the excess airflow from the Boosting device, in this case a Centrifugal Supercharger just pumped the excess air back into the atmosphere. Wasted work by the supercharger but a simple air control for Boost pressure. The Paxton Bonnet (not the Box or enclosure) also had a valve that bypassed the supercharger and let idle air into the carb. Once the supercharger made a given amount of airflow to the bonnet , that valve sealed the hole and the bonnet now saw pressurized air. That valve is in some ways like the modern By-pass Valve used on superchargers that uses a manifold signal mine to open or close the valve.

Tom V.

The other example of a Blow-off Valve is a modern Burst Panel on a supercharged or Turbocharged Intake Plenum. You get a high pressure spike and the Burst Panel blows open and saves the boosting device and engine from possibly harming the driver.

Bart, can you move 4zpeed's post/question and my post over to the "Boosting Device Sticky" please? Thanks.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM

You both have to copy and paste your text and make a post in that other thread. I can’t move individual posts, only threads.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM
Boost Engineer

I will copy and paste my reply after 4zpeed copies and moves his question to the other thread. Thanks for the info Bart.

Tom V.