Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default early-1970 AT shifters

I have been going through my mediocre (presumably compared to many of you) stash of spare parts;
Two pieces I could use opinions about worth.

I have two early 1970 automatic shifters, or maybe I should say the means to create two early 1970 shifters.

One is a factory ratchet shifter, and the other is a non ratcheting shifter.

I am a bit fuzzy on how my two came to be as they are in this tupperware bin in my basement, but I do seem to recall finding the 1970 ratcheting shifter, and the original shifter housing/mechanism was broken;
The shifter handle ended up getting swapped into a non-ratcheting shifter mechanism.

The second shifter is just the loose handle.

The real icing on the cake is that I only have one (fairly worn) knob for either shifter;
And for those who are unaware, the early shifters which used a (1969 style) simulated wood handle;
The shifter arm is machined with two grooves as opposed to one for the more common shifter - one grove is for a snap ring below the handle, and the other one is for a top snap ring to hold the handle in place...

I was thinking that if it was worth my time, I could swap the ratcheting shifter handle out of the non-ratcheting shifter mechanism, and install the non-ratcheting shifter handle into that shifter.

I also do have a single spare ratcheting shifter that I could swap the ratcheting shifter handle into...

If I am understanding this, it appears as though the two shifters (ratcheting versus non-ratcheting) are differentiated by:
1) the shifter handle mechanism
2) a plate which is riveted onto the right side of the shifter mechanism - which the spring contraption on the shifter handle works with to create the stops...

Have any of you observed that these early shifters get any sort of premium over the regular 1970-1981 shifters?

Can I source a 1969 handle to use on this other shifter?

I would earnestly appreciate input from you guys.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How early are we talking? My may built 70 never had a wood knob factory. Has a black knob that appears to be simulated leather (is what I'd call it) I converted the car over to the ratchet shifter many years ago and just reinstalled the stock knob. I did it by swapping the parts from a ratchet shifter from a 69 GTO onto my stock shifter assembly. So I'm technically still using the original stick and housing that came in the car originally.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this is for the REAL early stuff;
think, "red" shifter handle insert on a manual transmission equipped early 1970 Firebird.
May is near the end of the run;
The earliest cars I believe were made in January for he February release.

That's really weird that your Formula wasn't a ratcheting shifter car;
I thought it was an original L74 car?
I had previously understood that all TA's (at least the 70-73) got the ratcheting shifter, while all other Formulas with a top of the option list engine (& TH400) received this shifter.

I would be surprised if someone didn't chime in with info about an early '70 model year car with the "wood" handled shifter.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just wanted to clarify what "early" meant to you. Seems it's different for everyone. Some feel 3-4 months into production is early. Mine kind of falls into the middle of production in my eyes. And since GM seems to make running changes throughout the year on all models there seems to be gaps as to when this or that started or ended.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotcha;
I would have posted pictures earlier, but after sorting out that box, I put it back, and piled other boxes ontop of it...

I have hope that someone will chime in with pictures.

IIRC one of these shifters (just not sure which one) was pulled from a '70 Esprit 400 car.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am buying a 1970 parts car that is a February build. I believe it has the wood looking shift knob. Car is a base 350/auto.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO