EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Something I just found out from Tanks Inc that was never an issue before.

This is specifically on the A-body tanks I'm looking to buy.

If you need to run a bigger pump (which we do) they have changed the design of the tank with notes stating anything bigger than a 255 pump needs their other tank which has the corners trimmed off for more exhaust clearance. It goes on to say they have changed the sump of that tank to hang 1" lower to keep more fuel around the pump.

Problem is, I don't want a tank with the corners cut, and all the A-bodies I've done in the past with 400 lph pumps just used their standard EFI tanks before with no issues.

So why the change now? I've tried to get in contact with them on this matter and haven't heard back yet.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is strange. Update us if you get an answer please. I will need the 340lph pump, so I'll be affected, as I'm sure others will as well. Thanks for posting that info.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Something I just found out from Tanks Inc that was never an issue before.

This is specifically on the A-body tanks I'm looking to buy.

If you need to run a bigger pump (which we do) they have changed the design of the tank with notes stating anything bigger than a 255 pump needs their other tank which has the corners trimmed off for more exhaust clearance. It goes on to say they have changed the sump of that tank to hang 1" lower to keep more fuel around the pump.

Problem is, I don't want a tank with the corners cut, and all the A-bodies I've done in the past with 400 lph pumps just used their standard EFI tanks before with no issues.

So why the change now? I've tried to get in contact with them on this matter and haven't heard back yet.
I ordered the 450 liter/hr efi pump for my Tanks,inc tank about 1 month ago, the tank is at least two years old and is for a 64 GTO.

The people at Tanks, inc never said anything about the tank being good only for a 255 liter/hr pump.

I bought the 450 liter/hr pump and sending unit from them (a Walbro GPA series fuel pump 450 LPH "Hellcat" pump, part # GPA-9.)

So who told you this and when?
My Sales Person was "KP" and sold me the 450 liter pump on June 11, 2019.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's noted on their website....never used to be there before, but it is now.

4th notation down states " Not recommended for TBI or high flow fuel pumps. If these pumps are required see part number TM34UN-T"

Which is the notched tank for exhaust and wide tires. It also has a link within that notation that takes you to the only pumps they recommend for use with this tank, and the biggest they offer is the 255 lph. Which would explain why that is the only scenario that Scott is finding on Summits website as well.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd388.htm

So I contacted Tanks Inc about it, because I've used a couple of the standard EFI tanks with 400 LPH pumps, in fact that's what dad uses currently, and haven't had a problem with it. So why the change now? I'm trying to clarify with them, and make sure I can still use the standard EFI tank with the 400 LPH pump before I plunk $1,000 down on another fuel system, because I don't want, nor do I need, a notched tank.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd422.htm
The one for my car doesn't have that? Craziness... I think when I have time, a phone call to them may be helpful. Hopefully

Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Definitely an interesting twist there. Not that it would matter since we run a 190lph pump in my wife' mild Chevelle, but I don't recall anybody saying anything of the sort at the time.

One thing I would highly recommend if you do decide to go with the Tanks Inc product. Don't buy the wire and ball type fuel sender. It's junk. Mine worked for approximately a week before I'm assuming the ball filled with fuel and dropped to the bottom permanently. Instead, go for the floatless sender option.

I purchased one but have yet to install because well..dropping a tank that you have no clue how much fuel it has, is a pain in the ass.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the return line and pump it out .... But yeah, gas tanks are a pain...

Old 07-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve actually done that before I went aftermarket tank with in tank pump. Was running an in-line and couldn't get the thing to run properly.

Thought I had 5 mayyyybe 10 gallons in the tank. Nope more like 14!!! Didn’t have enough fuel storage so out it came with several gallons still in it. So much fun, would do it agin!

Last edited by JLMounce; 07-17-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Boost Engineer

I went right to the Tanks,inc web page for my 64 GTO and here is the link:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd417.htm

1964 Pontiac GTO, Lemans and Tempest EFI Gas Tank
Fuel Injection Ready!
Includes 2 piece neck design that connects with supplied 2" ID rubber hose
Utilizes our GPA series fuel pumps, available in sizes FROM 109 TO 450 LITERS PER HOUR.
Uses aftermarket 5-bolt senders. Multiple Ohm ranges available to work with factory or aftermarket gauges. If using tube sender length is 6"
EFI style internal baffling with extra large 4.8 liter dual tube baffled fuel tray to prevent fuel pump starvation.
Perfect for your Pro-Touring, Autocross or Road Racing Ride
Fuel pump and sender are recessed in the tank for easy installation with no modification needed to your car.
Looks like an OE tank when installed.
Coated galvanized steel then Powder Coated Silver.
24 Gallon Capacity
1" Deeper than stock
Longer straps included with the tank
Size is: 37-1/4" x 30" x 7-3/4"

I looked at your link for the Chevelle 1970s style Fuel Tank and see the note of the fuel pump.
I also noticed that the tank height for the NON EFI tanks is 5" and the tank is different vs the 64 GTO EFI Tank and the 65 Lemans EFI type tanks. Their Tank Height is an inch longer (6").

Tom V.

I plan on running a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) Controller from Aeromotive to reduce the fuel pressure if I run a Carb type 6-7 psi fuel pressure system.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 07-17-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I went right to the Tanks,inc web page for my 64 GTO and here is the link:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd417.htm

1964 Pontiac GTO, Lemans and Tempest EFI Gas Tank
Fuel Injection Ready!
Includes 2 piece neck design that connects with supplied 2" ID rubber hose
Utilizes our GPA series fuel pumps, available in sizes FROM 109 TO 450 LITERS PER HOUR.
Uses aftermarket 5-bolt senders. Multiple Ohm ranges available to work with factory or aftermarket gauges. If using tube sender length is 6"
EFI style internal baffling with extra large 4.8 liter dual tube baffled fuel tray to prevent fuel pump starvation.
Perfect for your Pro-Touring, Autocross or Road Racing Ride
Fuel pump and sender are recessed in the tank for easy installation with no modification needed to your car.
Looks like an OE tank when installed.
Coated galvanized steel then Powder Coated Silver.
24 Gallon Capacity
1" Deeper than stock
Longer straps included with the tank
Size is: 37-1/4" x 30" x 7-3/4"

I looked at your link for the Chevelle 1970s style Fuel Tank and see the note of the fuel pump.
I also noticed that the tank height for the NON EFI tanks is 5" and the tank is different vs the 64 GTO EFI Tank and the 65 Lemans EFI type tanks. Their Tank Height is an inch longer (6").

Tom V.

I plan on running a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) Controller from Aeromotive to reduce the fuel pressure if I run a Carb type 6-7 psi fuel pressure system.
Strange isn't it? Notice how they offer the deeper EFI tanks for the second gen F-bodies but not for the first gen, and they don't offer them for the 68-72 chevelles either.

I did the deeper 2nd gen F-body EFI tank on the 72 Formula I'm working on now. Nice option, I like the idea of having another 3 gallon capacity, and it's only slightly deeper than stock. I don't really notice much difference when installed in the car. Don't know why they don't offer this option with 1st gens or A-bodies. Oddly they don't mention this limit of 255 LPH pumps on those other cars either. So why there is a limit on 71-72 chevelle has me stumped.... Still no response from Tanks Inc.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Definitely an interesting twist there. Not that it would matter since we run a 190lph pump in my wife' mild Chevelle, but I don't recall anybody saying anything of the sort at the time.

One thing I would highly recommend if you do decide to go with the Tanks Inc product. Don't buy the wire and ball type fuel sender. It's junk. Mine worked for approximately a week before I'm assuming the ball filled with fuel and dropped to the bottom permanently. Instead, go for the floatless sender option.

I purchased one but have yet to install because well..dropping a tank that you have no clue how much fuel it has, is a pain in the ass.
Yeah that little piece of information never used to be there. It's just showed up recently.

On the most recent Tanks Inc setup I am doing on a 72 Formula, I did the trap door in the trunk option. Very slick. I can pull the pump or the sending unit in minutes, with a full tank of gas if needed. Going to do the same thing on my 72 Chevelle when I buy the kit, if they ever get back to me If the 400 LPH pump is now a problem for them with that tank, for what ever reason, I'm going to have to shop somewhere else. I have no clue what has changed or why.

As far as the sender, thanks for that tip. I have not seen any reviews at all on the floatless sender but thought it looked like a neat piece. I'd be curious to know how that works out. A few years back there was talk of crappy senders, so there was another name brand that was better and a 5 bolt 90 ohm sender to work with Tanks Inc. That's what dad went with but I can't remember the name of the brand or vendor. It's worked flawless for the few years he's been running it.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at Rick's Tanks,

Looks like they come in black? That'll be a no go for me since stock appearances are important. I did read they are stamped tanks so at least the shapes mimic a stock setup and I read they are stainless which is nice, but I'd rather have it bare. I'll have to dig some more around the site to find out more details. Not exactly easy to navigate.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where do you get the non ball type sending unit? I have the Holley Sniper (Tanks inc.) tank and it has the ball. Never been installed but would rather head off problems than drop a 20 gallon tank. Last time I did that I ended up with gas in my ear

Old 07-18-2019, 07:01 AM
Boost Engineer

Here you go, right from Tanks,inc. about $100

0-30 Ohms - GM up to 1964 - T-GME-** (They should say and 64 GTO)

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd346.htm

Tom V.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks

Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I just got off the phone with customer service at Tanks. In a nutshell, any of the pumps are acceptable for use in the tank for my application, but not available in kit form, will have to purchase components to use larger than 255lph pump. His recommendation for drag racing... plan on half a tank or better for reliability in that application. Which isn't what I wanted to hear, but I appreciated his candor. To me it means the sump isn't suitable, or at least not designed for, drag racing applications. 12 gallons of fuel as a minimum, to me isn't a desirable trait for a fuel tank in my situation.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The tanks are primarily marketed for auto-x / pro-touring stuff. You are asking a bit of the tank with how hard your car launches. I still feel based off my personal experience that you'd be fine around a 1/4 tank or so, but I agree when you're racing it would be nice to get rid of some of that fuel load.

Have you thought about maybe doing a fuel cell and surge tank?

Old 07-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not heard good things about surge tanks... Not fundamentally opposed to it I guess. But really, what I have now works, and is less complicated than a surge tank set up. I was just hoping I could use a commonly available in tank set up and have it work, for sure, not maybe.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a lot of the surge tank issues have, may stem from the really cheap stuff. As much as I love my FiTech, god their fuel system components are trash.

A lot of the high power LS guys run surge tanks as do a lot of drift guys. I think with the right components it's probably a decent (if not complicated) setup. But depending on cost, you may be in to a custom tank anyway, which takes the complexity out of the equation.

I still think that you could really improve the Tanks Inc tank for your purpose with the addition of a Holley Hydramat to the built in sump. You may want to get the sump dimensions for your particular tank and see if holley has a hydramat that would fit that. Specificially positioning it so that it has coverage in the aft portion of the sump where fuel will go on hard launch.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post

I had the same problem and Tanks, Inc. sent me the floatless sender at no charge. Their wire/ball sender is as JLM describes.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars