Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 01-16-2002, 04:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Following the advice of a very hard core motorcycle engine builder, I use header wrap on all my bikes. He has seen significant performance increases (although the reduction in radiant heat is more significant on most bikes compared to cars), so has there been any back to back testing on our cars at the strip? The logic of keeping the exhaust gas temperature as hot as possible, for as long as possible rings true with me.

I have not experienced the rust out problem that most talk about, but I will agree wrapped headers look awful.

Jim, you must have tested this.

Old 01-16-2002, 04:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Following the advice of a very hard core motorcycle engine builder, I use header wrap on all my bikes. He has seen significant performance increases (although the reduction in radiant heat is more significant on most bikes compared to cars), so has there been any back to back testing on our cars at the strip? The logic of keeping the exhaust gas temperature as hot as possible, for as long as possible rings true with me.

I have not experienced the rust out problem that most talk about, but I will agree wrapped headers look awful.

Jim, you must have tested this.

Old 01-16-2002, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Headers will last on a strip car but on a street car your headers will fatigue very rapidly & crumble into pieces & i will tell you they look nasty not to mention no header manufacture will warranty a wrapped header.

Old 01-16-2002, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rather than wrapping them, get your headers metallic-ceramic coated inside and out. It keeps the heat in and helps make the headers last longer.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am only debating theory here. I will agree the ceramic is the most practical, but it does not have the insulating qualities of the wrap, if that is in fact significant. I often wonder how much of a penalty the boat guys pay with their water cooled exhaust manifolds. From the intake valve on, heat equals power.

Old 01-18-2002, 02:42 PM

What if you get them coated and then wrapped? Would be interested to see if anyone has done this and what possible gains they may have made....

Old 01-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

UH RICH IF YOU GET THEM COATED WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO WRAP THEM? trust me they look too good to wrap and i don't think that it would gain you much anyway.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: don ]</p>

Old 01-18-2002, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

I believe the header wrap manufacturer states that the headers should be coated before using the wrap or like Scott said it will destroy the headers in time. I remember reading an add about this as well.

Old 01-19-2002, 12:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am no expert by any means, but it is my understanding that exhaust tuning is all about sound waves. A change in gas temperature is a change gas density, and therefore a change in the speed of sound within that medium. An aircraft can travel slower at high altitude and exceed the speed of sound than at sea level. The exhaust gas "sees" a big change in density as it enters the relativily cold, thin wall header. Some have claimed this causes a reflected wave similar to that generated by the collector, but way out of time to be helpful for scavenging the cylinder. I just wonder if this effect can be seen at the strip.

Rashy, what movie is your latest tag line from? It is driving me nuts that I can't remember!

Old 01-19-2002, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

my experiences with header wrap are:
1. P.I.T.A. to wrap.
2. looks terrible.
3. particles of the stuff get in your face when working under it.
4. and last and biggest reason NOT to use it....the possibility of absorbing oil, in turn causing a fire(been there).

Old 01-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 455HOGT37:
Rashy, what movie is your latest tag line from? It is driving me nuts that I can't remember!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hide ad go f yourself was from a soundwave I got about the word F#UCK. How it is the most versatile word in the English language.

Old 01-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes! That's where I heard it!

...And as almost every word in a sentence: F@ck the f@cking f@ckers!

One of my favorite worthless email attachments.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: 455HOGT37 ]</p>