Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-05-2001, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My muffler of choice for many years, the two chamber, 40 series Flowmaster is no longer available. It has been replaced by the new (more expensive) Delta Flow model. This pisses me off to no end, but before I go on a rampage I should ask if anybody uses this new part and how they like it compared to the old model. Has anyone (other than Flowmaster) done a side by side comparison to determine if it frees up any more power or is any quieter with the same power? I have also been told by my local speed shop that the old 40 series will be back in about six months to a year - painted flat black with a little stainless steel "Flowmaster Classic" tag. It will also cost about $90.00. Time to write them a poison email.

Old 12-05-2001, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My muffler of choice for many years, the two chamber, 40 series Flowmaster is no longer available. It has been replaced by the new (more expensive) Delta Flow model. This pisses me off to no end, but before I go on a rampage I should ask if anybody uses this new part and how they like it compared to the old model. Has anyone (other than Flowmaster) done a side by side comparison to determine if it frees up any more power or is any quieter with the same power? I have also been told by my local speed shop that the old 40 series will be back in about six months to a year - painted flat black with a little stainless steel "Flowmaster Classic" tag. It will also cost about $90.00. Time to write them a poison email.

Old 12-06-2001, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update:

The patent on the design is going to expire, so they are pulling the plug. I guess they expect a flood of copies to hit the market soon. Now, to find a pair of 43040's somewhere.

Old 12-06-2001, 09:38 PM
Exhaust Guru

Hi, the side by side things I have done shows them to be quieter and flow slightly more, at least when looking at the 50 series. The changes inside are minor so the new ones should get you the sound you like without as much resonation.
Tom Hand

Old 12-10-2001, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just did the reading on your exhaust tech article... I may be re-thinking the Flowmaster thing and look at some of the others that were quieter and flowed better. I sure am glad there are people like you out there doing all the legwork for our benefit.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2001, 10:03 PM
Exhaust Guru

455GT, You are most welcome. One thing one comes to understand is that sound control and exhaust flow is important but many are more concerned with "tonal quality". There are only a very few that provide that Flowmaster sound. Midas' Ravin sounds similar; they should since similar theories and manufacturing methods were used in their design and construction.
Tom Hand

Old 12-10-2001, 10:10 PM
Senior Chief

Kinda partial to the 30 series myself...

464 CI
Vertically Gated M22 4-speed