Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-10-2001, 10:37 AM

I have 65 GTO with stock heads 77 and ex.manifolds. I have not seen any black ex.streaks at manifold, but I actually get exhaust into the car on the drivers side. Usually when accelerating. If this were a leak at the head gasket wouldn't I also leak coolant and loose vacuum. I have 16-18in. at idle(Rhoades lifters). I use stock steel ex. gaskets. Any help as to where to look or cause is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2001, 10:37 AM

I have 65 GTO with stock heads 77 and ex.manifolds. I have not seen any black ex.streaks at manifold, but I actually get exhaust into the car on the drivers side. Usually when accelerating. If this were a leak at the head gasket wouldn't I also leak coolant and loose vacuum. I have 16-18in. at idle(Rhoades lifters). I use stock steel ex. gaskets. Any help as to where to look or cause is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2001, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get under the car with the engine running. Use a piece of vacuum hose in one end of your ear and run the other end around the exhaust connections. Even though you can't hear the leak with the engine just running, you will hear it if you get that hose next to the leak. I had a leak on my 67 GTO and found it this way. I thought for sure it was a head gasket or exhaust gasket, it turned out to be nothing more than the exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold connection needed a little tweaking. Good Luck.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 11-16-2001, 06:54 PM

Is your crankcase breather plumbed into the air cleaner housing? I had an open breather on an engine that made lots of blowby, and it would fill the car with fumes. Of course, it also spit oil all over the place.