THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought after getting the January issue that included the announcement that was going to be it before they went quarterly, but I got a February issue in the mail yesterday.

Personally, I think Hot Rod has had pretty good content for the last couple years. People often complain about how it doesn't have the kinds of stories they liked to read when they were young, but the magazine has always had to adapt to the current time. I have a pretty extensive collection going back to the 1950s, and 60 years ago (back in the days when they ran reader's letters) there were people complaining about the same thing. My biggest complaint is they've developed a fondness for printing articles with white text on a black background, which is very hard to read.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny406 View Post
All the mags I subscribed too, HPP, Pontiac Enthusiast, PHR, Car Craft, Hot Rod Delux and now Hot Rod are gone. Very sad indeed!!

Poncho perfection is still in print though.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-14-2023, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I agree with everything in your post except the word "best". That's the subjective part. To me , the "best" way to read a magazine is in paper form in front of me within arms reach. I like the feel of the paper, the look of the cars and engines in a paper format, not on a pixelated screen. I like the fact that if I spill my morning coffee on a magazine, I am not buying a new $800.00 tablet. It's the same reason I liked having home delivery of my local newspaper until I just couldn't take the 2-3 missed deliveries every week and finally cancelled it.
I'm with you on preferring to hold the actual magazine in my hands, but I wanted to point out tablets are more like $50 and not $800 these days. They also have the advantage of being able to zoom in on a picture if desired to get a closer look.

I also still get my local daily newspaper but got fed up with missed deliveries too, so I switched to an online subscription that i read on my computer - they have it in a version that looks just like the real thing. They also have it in a version that works on my phone that I can read if I'm not at home.

In the last year I finally started signing out e-books from my local library. it's not as satisfying as holding the actual book in my hands but it's hard to argue with the convenience.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

as a kid I remember $.50 a copy at the news stands.
My first subscription was late 60s.
Had it delivered to my Gmas as we moved so much the mailman couldnt keep up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I agree with everything in your post except the word "best". That's the subjective part. To me , the "best" way to read a magazine is in paper form in front of me within arms reach. I like the feel of the paper, the look of the cars and engines in a paper format, not on a pixelated screen. I like the fact that if I spill my morning coffee on a magazine, I am not buying a new $800.00 tablet. It's the same reason I liked having home delivery of my local newspaper until I just couldn't take the 2-3 missed deliveries every week and finally cancelled it.

In many ways I like print magazines for the same reasons I like my 62 Catalina. No screens to look at and distract from the driving experience, no electronics and nanny controls, manual transmission with a clutch. So a 62 Pontiac Catalina is the "best" car the same way a paper magazine is the "best" way to read car stuff. I may need to see a psychiatrist.
I agree completely!

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used to be HRM was "Everyone's auto magazine". You can't be ! It doesn't work. You end up being no one's magazine. Over the years they have had go-karts, boats, vans motorcycles and more. I'm so old most of the articles don't appeal to me anymore. My favorite is now Hemming's Classic Cars. I relate to the cars. They are my generation and a lot of them are "driver" quality.

Old 12-17-2023, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing in defense of print mags, is I can take it with me on a trip or somewhere I know I'll be without an electronic device (I hate reading thigs on a phone). If my puter service goes down at home, I have an alternative reading source. If I want to hang out in my back yard to read and relax (where my laptop won't get a signal), I can. I even pull pics from the mag to post around my garage.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my opinion, the younger generation, under about 50 or so, much prefers online content. The younger they are, the more they skew in that direction. My oldest son is an avid reader but has no books. When I asked why, he said I have a 1000 on my kindle. I'm too old to change.....much prefer hard copy.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They only need a headline,the rest gets ignored./