Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-04-2000, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

Can anyone recommend a brand of headers for my 67, that fit good. I am think about getting them coated from JetHot

Old 03-04-2000, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

Can anyone recommend a brand of headers for my 67, that fit good. I am think about getting them coated from JetHot

Old 04-21-2000, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First off it has always been a problem getting headers to fit on 64-72 A-bodies. Most if not all of them require some fitting. Fitting=hammer to form, file to fit, paint to match. I tried Headman's basic header for my 65 LeMans and they would not fit. They actually hit the frame on the lower side of one of the tubes so bad that I was unable to install them with the engine in the car. They would install when the engine was on the engine stand but ended up with only .030 clearance between the header collector and the starter. Never even got them installed with the motor in the car. Since I used them on the dyno Headman wouldn't let me return them. Then I tried the Hooker basic "Mexican" headers. These headers also had some serious clearance problems. I had to do some custom hammer work on two of the primary tubes to gain frame clearance. I also had serious clearance problems between the aft corner of the upper control arm (passenger side only). I removed as much metal as possible from the control arm, dented the primary tube and still did not have enough clearance. I was forced to use aftermarket upper control arms to get the neceaasry clearance. Once I did get a good fit I had leaking problems and premature gasket blow out. I also noticed that the port match to the cylinder head was very poor to the point that I am sure it was effecting performance. I then put a bead of braising material with a oxy acetylene torch completely around the outside each primary tube at back side of the flange area. This allowed the necessary extra material required to port match/gasket match the ports. The port matching required removing so much material that in many of the ports I had to go into the braised material that I aplied with the torch. I then used a body file to remove the extra weld around each port on the flanges. I am talking about the the little sloppy bead of weld (from the factory) that is left around each port on the cylinder head side of the flange. After I was done surfacing the flange this made the flange flat clear across all ports (cylinder head side). I then reinstalled the headers using new Felpro gaskets (Felpro header gaskets are the only ones worth installing). I have been using these "custom fitted" headers in my car for a couple of years now. They work perfect and have no clearance or leaking problems. Remember every car is a little different, the frames were hand fitted in crude tooling, and hand welded in those days. Most of the headers made today are pieces of S--T. No matter what brand of headers you choose to install make absolutely sure that you install them first, and make sure all bending fitting, forming, hammering is done and you have good clearance all around and the port matching is done before you even think about getting them jet coated. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Tim Corcoran

Old 04-21-2000, 07:53 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Before you decide to go with Jet-Hot, call Sermatech in Compton Ca.(sorry i don't have their number with me)If you are going to have them done in silver or black then they are going to be cheaper than Jet-Hot.Sermatech invented the process but Jet-Hot patented the colors,so thats why the only colors available from Sermatech are silver and black.

Old 04-21-2000, 11:09 PM
Exhaust Guru

PMD 428, I have some Walker 85114s that we have been experimenting with and I can tell you that like Tim said, these will also have some interference problems. They were claimed to fit 67s. My Uncle has another brand on his 66-67 and maybe we can find out from him what they are. I will have my father check with him to see. One issue is that several of the header manufacturers advertise theirs to fit 66 to 74 or 67 to 74 but unfortunately, the 68 and later frame is all they fit properly.
CobraBill, could that be CeramaCoat or is it Sermatech? It would be good to have a recommendation for another of the alumina-ceramic spray coaters. Can you check on it and email me at thand@sprintmail.com? I appreciate your help and thank you,
Tom Hand

Old 04-23-2000, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Gentlemen(and Tom)Here are some numbers for Sermatech:323-772-1313 or 310-604-0018

Old 04-25-2000, 09:52 PM
Exhaust Guru

PMD, Uncle says his were some old Eagle brand that did not fit well and also required a mod or two to the crossmember. I do know that Hookers fit a 67 Oldsmobile Cutlass that we put a 455 Pontiac engine into. You might want to give them a shot.
Tom Hand

Old 05-13-2000, 04:37 AM

I recently purchased A set of headers for A 1969 GTO from Warrior Racing...I had to do the following before and during installation:
1) Buy beer
2) Remove and discard original exhaust
3) Cuss at 1 year old motor mounts that broke.
4) Drink beer
5) Spend all day slaving only to find that the collector is pointing some strange direction.
6) Spend the next day cussing in the midst of exhaust-related hangover at the .030" of clearance from the header to the frame rail.
7) Spend 3rd day undoing day 1 and day 2 activities, frantically searching for discarded original exhaust gear.
8) Paying return shipping to aforementioned racing company and spend many more for some that weren't much better.

Hammer, torch, oxy-ace gear, patience, and beer are necessary tools for pontiac header installation.

------------------
* No mister, it just looks like A GTO, but thanks. *

Old 05-13-2000, 08:30 AM

AMEN TO THE ABOVE FOR MENTIONED .

Old 05-14-2000, 01:27 AM

pontiaccrazy, if you'd have just asked we could've told you that . mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-14-2000, 04:58 AM

Now you tell me... anyone got A band-aid? Nope, that's A larger cut than I thought..that header really got me. I'm going for stitches.

------------------
* No mister, it just looks like A GTO, but thanks. *

Old 12-03-2001, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is an old post I dug up.
I'm about to install a 440 D-port roller motor in a 65 - any one have a nice used set that are already "trial fitted" I'd prefer a set of super comps or 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primary tubes headers - HELP - I know I had a set of hedman on my old bird that took some work to fit - I got another set that fit better - so I know they improved them. Anyone have some info for me??????

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 12-04-2001, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are nuts !!!!!!!! Call Doug Thorley and get the bolt on headers, D ports or Round ports. Call him at 714-502-0286 If Doug is not in ask for Paul.

Ron

------------------

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!