Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-01-2023, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Refilling TH400 After Rebuild

Trans is fresh. Just installed it. I put as much fluid as I could in the converter. Also put 4 quarts in the pan of the trans, and it's reading on the dipstick, but it's low.

I understand that the trans should take about 8 - 9 more quarts, but am I correct to only add 4 initially and add the rest once it's running?

FYI - I have the Summit "stock" level cast aluminum pan. I believe you get another quart or so of fluid with this one.

Thanks

Scott

Old 12-01-2023, 12:47 AM

About 10 quarts total transmission and converter, a little less with a smaller diameter high stall torque converter.

Yes add the rest when it’s running and of course don’t overfill.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would fire the engine for a few seconds and shut it off. The fluid level in the pan should have dropped. Fill the pan until you get a reading on the stick. Start the engine run the trans through the gears. check the level and bring it up until it's about a quart low. Drive the car until the fluid is hot and then fill it to the correct level.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you have it running check level keep it on the low side until it’s hot then bring level to full if you do it cold it’s going to be over filled. If you have it in the air and can run trans in all gears do that if not at least put it in each gear then check in park. My 2¢

The Following User Says Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Read the dipstick for an opinion. Feel the 2-3 upshift for reality.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 10:14 AM

Spent 5 years of my life as a domestic transmission rebuilder from 1991 -1996. Built at least 1 transmission a day during that time averaging 7 in a 5 day week.

Put a quart in the converter, 4 in the pan. Make sure the rear tires are off the floor, the car is somewhat level and on jack stands. Start it up, leave it in park, continue to add until you get 9 or so. With brakes on and no extra gas pedal, cycle between drive and reverse a couple times. Put it back in park. Continue to add until it is a pint low. Lightly run it through gears including reverse. Recheck level is full to pint low. Go for a drive to heat it up. Recheck and top off to full.

Remember ALWAYS check it running in park. And always confirm running in park warmed up.

Lastly the different pans do not change the dipstick level. It still needs filled up to basically the pan rail on the case. As the pan gets deeper it just takes more fluid to reach that level.

Pay attention to the filter depth though, same idea as an oil pump pickup.

Stan

Last edited by Stan65; 12-01-2023 at 10:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan65 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been doing this since 1975. I put 1 qt in the converter and 6 in the pan before starting the engine.
A stock 400 usually takes 11.5-12qts, depending on the size of the pan and the size of the converter.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan65 View Post
Spent 5 years of my life as a domestic transmission rebuilder from 1991 -1996. Built at least 1 transmission a day during that time averaging 7 in a 5 day week.

Put a quart in the converter, 4 in the pan. Make sure the rear tires are off the floor, the car is somewhat level and on jack stands. Start it up, leave it in park, continue to add until you get 9 or so. With brakes on and no extra gas pedal, cycle between drive and reverse a couple times. Put it back in park. Continue to add until it is a pint low. Lightly run it through gears including reverse. Recheck level is full to pint low. Go for a drive to heat it up. Recheck and top off to full.

Remember ALWAYS check it running in park. And always confirm running in park warmed up.

Lastly the different pans do not change the dipstick level. It still needs filled up to basically the pan rail on the case. As the pan gets deeper it just takes more fluid to reach that level.

Pay attention to the filter depth though, same idea as an oil pump pickup.

Stan
Ok, I have at least a quart in the converter, 4 in the pan. Need to install the new fuel tank before I fire it up, but that should happen this weekend.