THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1979 Gold TA For Sale.... with WS6 Package

I can't believe this but here's a link below to this 79 Bird and the owner of it's a WS6 car. I owned a 79 Formula with the WS6 package, and I have the window sticker as proof. But I have no idea why there's a reference to a WS7 package. I've never even heard of that at all. this is the only reference to it I've ever heard in all these years.

He says that because of the demand for the WS6 package, Pontiac couldn't keep up with it and came out with the WS7 package. Yes, there was a production delay as the dealer told me for the WS6. My79 Formula was held up until the WS6 package was ready... it sat at the at the factory in Van Nyes waiting and then finished. Ordered November of '78 and received May of '79.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...c9baf5a1&ei=80

I wonder why there's no comment section. Could it be because he's trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, and also of the person who's unfortunate enough and not knowing buys it. He's asking 15,000 for a Bird in pretty rough shape due to rust, worn out paint, and seats covered so they can't be seen. Being said they're cloth, I'd say they're the hobnail covered buckets. And claims it's drivable too.

There's something fishy about this TA me thinks.
Run Forest Run!

If anyone lives in or near Royal Palm Beach, Florida, check it out. It's on Craigs List down there.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 02-11-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

basically the WS7 package is the WS6 suspension with drum rear brakes

The Following User Says Thank You to muscle_collector For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its a 79 that needs restored. WS7 or not, no big deal imo. Car looks pretty complete but needs everything, IF I were buying I wouldnt spend more than about 5k, 7 if it was a 4 speed. Lots of hype in the article that doesnt amount to &*^*&^*&. Sounds like someone trying to cash in on the mopar craze of this car is one of one with factory air in the tires so its worth a zillion dollars!

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think Rocky Rotella discusses WS7 in his book "The Definitive Firebird & Trans Am Guide: 1970 1/2 - 1981".

John M Witzke in his article '1977-79 T/A 6.6 HISTORICAL INFORMATION' stated

"..additionally, in mid-December 1978, Pontiac released a new suspension package called “Special Handling Package” and carried UPC code WS7. This suspension package was identical to the WS6 minus UPC code J56 front and rear disc brakes. The WS7 handling package was not available with code UPC L78, T/A 6.6 engine or the Y84 black and gold special edition Trans Am. It appears the WS7 was available on both the 1979 Firebird Formula and Trans Am. The cost for the WS7 Package was $284.00. The 1979 WS7 production accounted for 11.2% of the total Trans Am and Formula production or approximately 15,899 cars..."

See http://pontiacformula.free.fr/schema/W72.pdf

Old 02-13-2024, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a neat factoid .
Now the thing to find out is if the trim tags have WS7 stamped on them instead of WS6