Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM

Default 455 into 55 Chevy

I just bought a 55 Nomad that I am going do a in 60s style Resto Mod type rebuild. I have a ready to go 66 327, but I am tempted to install a 455 Pontiac dressed up in vintage speed equipment. Has anybody here ever installed a Pontiac V8 in a Tri Five Chevy? I have done a little research and know that the frames were different between the Chevies and Pontiacs back then. This car will not ever be sold, so value doesn't concern me. I just want that smooth torque that only a Pontiac can provide.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool! I'm not a fan of the standard-issue hot rod Chevy 350 because it's just so common. I always like seeing something different (like a big block) in a tri-five.

My neighbor had a '56 with a Chevy 454 in it years back. I think if you research what the "big block conversion" guys do, that will point you in the right direction.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Default Pontiac engine in Chevy

Hello all,I put a 389 into a 57 chevy 4 door "sleeper"back in 1966.I used Hurst engine mounts and fabricated the rest.I made a lot of street racing money with that conversion.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a friend told me a lot of guys were putting 389's in corvettes in SoCal in the early 60's. DO IT!! GMC trucks used the Pontiac engine, will that stuff work, or help?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:45 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

In 1964 I put a '57 Tri-Power in a '57 Chevy, drove it until 1968. The Hydro-Stick trans retained the original rear mounts and I used a Hurst front mount- so it had 4-corner mounting. Engine couldn't be exactly centered due to steering box interference. I modified a Hedman header to clear the box, and changed both headers to short collectors pointing down. The driver's side of the firewall needed a little "hammer massaging", since the left cylinder bank of the Pontiac is more rearward than a Chev V8. It wasn't a difficult swap.