Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Holden HQ Monaro w/injected 400 Pontiac

So as many of you know i'm a bit of a lurker. Pontiac's not being as common over in Australia as over in the US, but my car was based off the 1970 GTO, so I figured I'd build it how I think it should have been built.

1971 HQ Monaro, most of this car is custom (now). 400 Pontiac (originally a '65 389) but was bored for stock bore 400 pistons. Butler prepped E-heads. Butler matched EFI Victor intake. RARE timing cover w/SBC Victor water pump. Custom pulleys. Big'ole Hyd Roller cam. Forged Pistons/Rods. Stock prepped armasteel crank. Prepped Turbo 400 w/"Jim Hand Special" Continental Converter. Shortened 9" diff, 3.89 gears, Eaton Trutrac. Rear has been minitubbed to fit a 15x10 wheel with 3.5" offset. Custom moly adjustable 4 link arms. Custom 1.875" SS exhaust made by me, collectors step down to a 2.75" choke, then back out to 3". Gasketless "V-Band" flanges used all the way. Custom interior, threw away the stock wiring loom and did a custom loom using an EZ Wiring kit. Megasquirt 3X full sequential injection w/coil per cylinder. 36-1 crank trigger and modified Mallory distributor for cam trigger and drive the oil pump. Could list the work i've done for pages and pages.

I just got it back together and it's in dire need of a wash, wheel alignment, put the centre caps back on the front wheels and get a bigger air cleaner as my old 14" one didn't clear the hood brace so had to steal my dads 11" one temporarily. The bumper went back on last night after this pic was taken, but i'm just glad it's back together and driving again!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Luv it mate, I've always been a Holden man, had a LS coupe back in the day.
Since I discovered the torque and power of the Pontiac I thought about dropping a 400 in
something like this or even a Chevelle.
I was originally shopping for a 70 chevelle and ended up with a 69 GTO, best thing I ever did.
But yea well done, now go and show the Chev boys how it's done.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HQ's were made for these things! I cut off the factory mounts off the chassis as a 253/308 is never going back in and machined up slugs to weld into the chassis so I can bolt in adapter plates to the factory Pontiac rubber mount. If you're using tall valve covers you need to do something about the booster. I had put a VZ commodore booster/master cylinder on years ago so everything cleared and worked out great.

The pipes I custom made and even though they're 1.875", they clear everything, fairly pain free to get in and out of the car etc. I've only made the pipes to the diff at the moment, need to spend some time after my kid is born next month on making tail pipes or doing something with the mufflers as the magnaflows are LOUUUUUUUUUD!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love it!!!

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW! Very nice work,well done.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:16 AM

Neat car! Pontiac power everywhere!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So i've managed to put some miles on this since it's (now 2nd) rebuild and have been turning heads all through the neighbourhood here. I had to make some tailpipes for the exhaust and the only way I could squeeze 3" pipes into a space that really only accepts 2" pipe was to go underneath the rear end. I got a bit too close to the chassis on the RHS and the lowest point on the LHS 15mm lower than the RHS, so i'll probably redo the pipes with the car on a 4 post hoist rather than doing it on my back on ramps again. Exiting the pipes out just behind the wheels, it has a very "cranky" sound. I love it

It also had a misfire when it'd get up to temperature, which I have now fixed with a new set of plugs and opened the gap up to 0.060". I've not been able to do much work or tuning to the car due to some some health issues with my father, but i'm slowly plugging away. If I had more time I would try to borrow a friends dyno to re-map the fuelling table and try to do some "spark hook" tests for cruising to fine peak tq etc... One day i'll get there!

Old 11-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Get back to PF you dirty bludger :P