Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 AM

Default Help With Tri-Power

Picked up a tri-power manifold and carbs today. Could use some help figuring out what everything is. The only casting number I can find on the carbs is the bowl (center section) number. Have 2 end carbs with 7011997, and one center carb 7019929. All check out to be 1961 correct tri-power carbs. The manifold is a bit of a quandary. There are no casting numbers on the manifold. The date code is J160. I figure this to be Oct 16th 1960. According to my book some of the 1961 manifolds did not have casting numbers. So is this a 1961 manifold which was cast at the end of 1960 without a casting number?

On page 28 of Pete's book they have a picture of a 1960 manifold, which does not look like this one at all. This one is cut more like the 64 manifold on page 19, but with a slightly different runner shape. I'm pretty sure this is an entire 1961 setup, but I'd like to get some other opinions.

There is no linkage or fuel lines to help with this either. Just 3 carbs and a manifold. Does anyone know if these 3 carbs will work for my 1965 manifold? I'd like to run these carbs on a 1965 GTO with the correct 1965 manifold.

Thanks,
Jason

1965 GTO 4brl/4spd

Hi, my name is Jason . . . and I'm a Pontiholic!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason I saw your post this morning and was sure someone would have answered by now. Yes your intake is a '61; they did not have casting numbers just date codes. Your carbs will work on a '65 setup fine. The only differences could be is if your current center carb is for an automatic and the car you plan putting it in is a stick shift then the center carb would have a hot idle compensator which you do not need, but it will work fine, and visa versa if the carb is for a stick and your '65 car is automatic then you will be missing the hot idle compensator but this too will still work fine. The carbs are the same otherwise.

I have a friend who is looking for a '61 intake that is in good shape so if you want to sell yours send me a PM and I will put you in touch with him. He has a tri-power '61 Bonneville which has the wrong intake on it so he is looking for a '61.

Mike Wasson at www.pontiactripower.com can sell you fuel lines and other components you may need. He is a relly nice guy and knows tri-powers.