THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac motor on an s-10 frame?

I apologize ahead of time if I ave posted this before but that's one of the perks of being old. Instead of searching for a thread I may have made I can just start a new one.
Anyway, I recently purchased a 2001 s10 pickup with a 4.3 v6 and over drive transmission. The cab burned p but 99% of the wiring is still OK. The fuel pump is bad but the motor runs briefly when I pour a little gas into the Carb(? throttle body?)
My plans are to shorten the frame 2"s and set my 39 Pontiac sedan on it. For the time being I will run the v6 but I want to eventually swap to Pontiac power.
Does anybody here have any experience putting a Pontiac motor in an s10 and would one bolt to the s10 transmission?
Lastly, MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!

Old 12-25-2020, 11:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=690714

1969 GTO - 461, turbo 400, Continental 13", 3.08 gears. - 12.59 e.t. @ 108.43 mph, 1.898 60'

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme- 461, turbo 350, PTC 3500 converter, 9" 3:50 gears. = 11.39 e.t. @ 117.55 mph, 1.599 60' on E85
Old 12-25-2020, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the link. I wonder if he had to modify the motor mounts on the frame? I saw what mounts he used on the motor itself but no mention of the frame mounts.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you have a bare block you could attach both mounts to it and see how they sit on the crossmember.

1969 GTO - 461, turbo 400, Continental 13", 3.08 gears. - 12.59 e.t. @ 108.43 mph, 1.898 60'

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme- 461, turbo 350, PTC 3500 converter, 9" 3:50 gears. = 11.39 e.t. @ 117.55 mph, 1.599 60' on E85
Old 12-27-2020, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i can't help but think that would be a tight fit;
My brother and I did a small block v8 swap in an s-10, it was so tight that we had trouble getting the clutch sorted out.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will not be using the s10 body. I am going to put a 1939 4 dr sedan body on the s10 frame.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently put an S10 chassis under my 51 Chev Pick up. I really wanted to use a Pontiac motor (and put Indian Head hood ornament on it) but this was a 'budget' build, and I was worried about space in the engine compartment.

The motor mounts I used on the frame came from a kit, but with some modifications, they work fine. I believe that the mounts will work for a Pontiac block as well.

Here is a link to my build, and there are more pics of how I had to modify the mounts.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=797726
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finished mounting plate -1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	557082  

Old 12-29-2020, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I recently put an S10 chassis under my 51 Chev Pick up. I really wanted to use a Pontiac motor (and put Indian Head hood ornament on it) but this was a 'budget' build, and I was worried about space in the engine compartment.

The motor mounts I used on the frame came from a kit, but with some modifications, they work fine. I believe that the mounts will work for a Pontiac block as well.

Here is a link to my build, and there are more pics of how I had to modify the mounts.

Thanks for the reply and link.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you need to change your wheel base, (which I did not) you may want to consider the leaf spring swap instead of cutting the frame. Also, if you need to widen the 'track' of the S10, you can use a diff. from a 4x4 Blazer or S10,

feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

There is also a lot of info on that website about S10 frames/swaps.

Good luck with the project, and keep us posted with the progress.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If you need to change your wheel base, (which I did not) you may want to consider the leaf spring swap instead of cutting the frame. Also, if you need to widen the 'track' of the S10, you can use a diff. from a 4x4 Blazer or S10,

I will have to shorten the frame 2 inches. Right now it is 123 inches and the Pontiac is 121.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Hey, I don’t want to derail this thread but could you describe this leaf spring swap to change wheelbase or post a link for me?

I have an S10 frame I’ve been thinking of putting under a 49 Pontiac.

Thanks & Happy New Year!
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-31-2020, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Guys,

From what I have read, there are 2 options to move your rear axle.

1. the mounting pin on the lower leaf is NOT in the middle of the spring, when measured from front to rear shackle. So, if you remove the spring, and mount the front to the rear, the 'pin' (mounting point) is now moved forward, as it is NOT in the middle.

2, You can remove the mounting plate and drill a hole 1-2 inches off center, and this will move the axle forward/back that same amount. (see post #28 in this thread, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=797034&page=2 )

the 3rd option is to separate the 2 halfs of the frame and reweld them together. It sounds straight forward, as far as cutting a frame goes, as the 'C' shaped frames slide together.

Please note, I am not an expert at this, and I did not do this with my S10 build, but I have read that it can be done.

The 67-72chevytrucks.com is a great website with a lot of info. and some really good members that are willing to answer your questions.

Good Luck with your builds, and I hope this may have helped.

Here are a couple of pics I took from that link that show the mounting plate method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring locator 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	557243   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring locator 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	557244   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring relocator plate.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	557245  

Old 12-31-2020, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I will look into the spring relocation. It looks like it might be close to the 2 "s my frame needs.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wow!

Quote:

I just read your entire thread and I'm impressed.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-31-2020, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great Tempest.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if this will get much attention here but I have another question concerning the fuel system on the s10. The gas tank has a hole in it and the pump doesn't work so can I hook up a 12 volt universal pump with a gas can supply to move the truck? I know there are three lines coming off the tank but I thought I could cut the line going into the filter and fit a rubber hose onto it from the universal pump. I could put a switch in the power line to turn the pump on and off. The interior of the truck burned up but the ignition switch still works and the truck will run if I put gas in the carb (throttle body).

Old 12-31-2020, 11:01 PM
Suspended

Search the HAMB forum. Those guys use S-10 chassis for everything.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Search the HAMB forum. Those guys use S-10 chassis for everything.
I thought that they might not take too lightly to an s10 frame swap. I have had a few posts deleted because they were not HAMB friendly!

Old 01-01-2021, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for the comments. It was/is a really fun project.

fyrffytr1 - I would think that you could hook up an external fuel pump with a gas tank and it would run.

There are a lot of guys who use the V6 from the S10, and many use LS motors, but I am not comfortable with computers, sensors, EFI,... and all the electronics that go along with a 'computer' controlled engine. (I guess that makes me 'old school'). The only reason I went with an electric fuel pump was because the mechanical fuel pump would not fit.

The S10 is a great chassis to work with cause you have the benefits of the upper and lower A arm suspension, simple and effective steering components with a steering box, front and rear disc brakes , and the parts are plentiful and cheap.

If your project was mine?, I would put a carb on that V6 (or on a Pontiac V8, or a OHC 6 would be cool also). put a new gas tank between the rear frame rails, and install a new wiring harness for the complete vehicle.

I hope I have answered your question, and given you something to think about with your 39 project.

Feel free to PM me.

Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2021, 09:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I thought that they might not take too lightly to an s10 frame swap. I have had a few posts deleted because they were not HAMB friendly!
That's because you're not part of the little clique they have going on there.

HRP is Ryan's left nut and will MF you if you don't build things "his" way and will report your post and/or thread.

Take my word for it, S-10 chassis' are used a fair amount on there especially on the low budget builds.

By the way.... Ryan's "traditional" hot rod has an Art Morrison chassis. Does an Art Morrison chassis sound HAMB friendly to you?

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post: