Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 03-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supergas990:

Pontiac motors do belong in Pontiacs, when you're building a street car or a resto, but the racetrack is a different world, IMO.

Blair <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell that to Rex and Gaydosh.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SG990, Bill Creech also says to take a look at his profile to see what a stock block Pontiac can produce.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

I don't believe you have to build a rocket to be a real astronaut.
I don't believe I will need to build a complete engine to enjoy being an enthusiast.
Plenty of Great drivers don't turn a wrench. Nothing to be ashamed of.
The damn shame is I can't buy a reliable fuel injected Pontiac V-8 to put under the hood where my 6 cylinder is today, without becoming a mechanic and having to build it myself so that I can really rely upon it.
I really enjoy just getting out in a great running car everytime I want to ride. An hour or two of tinkering before every Sunday outing just ain't relevant anymore. I could put up with it in 1970, but today there are better options.
If Pontiac won't sell me the "Muscle to make my Tempest a Musclecar" then I'll go buy a motor from somebody with the confidence to back it up with a warranty. I loved the torque and feel of my old '65 GTO shutting down most anything I ran against. ( Most but not ALL) Has anybody got a reliable fuel injected 400 Pontiac I should know about?

Old 03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jesus, why all the friggin mud-slinging? If you're writing the checks, it's your call.

If you feel the pull to reproduce paint blotches and chalk marks, go for it. If you want to tub it and drop in a XYZ motor, go for it.

I appreciate a GOOD EFFORT. I appreciate Andrew's car, as much as I appreciate Tom McQueen's car. Both are flip sides of the same coin power-wise. Both are gleaming examples of beautiful work, whatever rests between the fenderwells.

If anyone has a problem with how someone else does their dreamcar, they are probably not spending enough time out of the garage.

Just because changing to corporate power isn't for me, it doesn't diminsh a well carried off effort in someone else's car.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

Yep,
and while we are all just trying to get along here...
Does anybody here know someone building complete, warranted, fuel injected Pontiac V-8's?
I'm gonna want to put something in my little Tempest Ragtop soon.
GM Crate motor looks like a do-able package, unless.....

Old 04-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol Blue:
Yep,
and while we are all just trying to get along here...
Does anybody here know someone building complete, warranted, fuel injected Pontiac V-8's?
I'm gonna want to put something in my little Tempest Ragtop soon.
GM Crate motor looks like a do-able package, unless..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will not find an EFI Pontiac "crate" engine from anywhere with a warranty comparable to that of a GM warranty.

Nor will you find one for AMC, Buick, Cadillac, Olds, etal.

Why?

Because their respective factories have not offered these engines in any form since about 1982 (and in some instances long before that).

If a "no hassle" crate engine with a 36,000 mile warranty is what you're after, by all means, go to your nearest GM dealer and order one, and just shut up about there not being a PURE PONTIAC crate engine available with the same warranty.

If you picture a carbureted STOCK engine as being so finicky as to require constant tinkering with it before you go on your cruise to the beach, perhaps you should take up stamp collecting, or some other hobby that does not require any critical thought. I would also suggest finding someone to install this engine for you.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:57 PM

OL Blue,
No, I dont think anyone will mourn the loss of your OHC 6. If 400 ft/lbs of torque is all you want, it is easy enough to get out of a 400 or 455. I really dont think you will save a cent or any time by buying a crate motor due to other fitment items discussed on the thread. You certainly wont be very well respected by any other Pontiac enthusiasts when you pop the hood either and show off the crate. I hope we can save you this embarrassment with this thread. Check out Doug at Proformance Unlimited in NJ. He will build whatever you want for a very reasonable price. I was very satisfied with my 400 rebuild and my oil pressure is outstanding at 40-80psi. I also havent touched the Edelbrock 750 in a year and it runs great. I just put oil, gas and coolant in it. If the engine is built right its really not a bother to run a pontiac. Good luck with your tempest conv., they are very cool.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Chief

Enginefactory.com looks like the place for me, everything will fit and they test run the engine before it ships. None of my mechanicals would be suitable, but I do have new power disc brakes.
I'm not sure if Proformance is one of the websites I looked at, I have looked at so many.
The selling point to me is a reliable turnkey motor, and the 400 is a natural fit.
If I can find a complete reliable package with an appropriate 4 speed automatic, I might just forego Fuel injection.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Senior Chief

Heres a great pic of SCOTT REX'S 9 SECOND T/A--very dependable and PURE PONTIAC . www.rexracing.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	8829