Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 11-19-2000, 12:29 PM
Senior Chief

or a blue fame 6,internatinal harvester304w/high performance2barrel carb,poly sphere318,Ramler273,350Olds Diesel,VegaAlum head4 cyl, ......something really different I think the olds diesel would be a real head turner in a goat.(or is that stomach turner?)P.S. maybe we could get some tips from the DUDE on adding nitrious to this bomb!
later MarkB.

------------------

Old 11-22-2000, 10:03 AM

hey don't knock the harvester engines, they make tons of torque. no rpm but ton's of torque.if you're gonna go diesel at least make it a 6.2 so it'll turn some rpm. i drove one of the banks turbo set ups with a modified govenor in a suburban. really impresive for a coal burner. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-22-2000, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Mike I know a little bit about IH power I used to drive a scout 4/WD back in 76-77(it would go anywhere but had horrible electrical system).
With the 6.2 throw a turbo & an intercooler
on that old oilburner and you are good to go.Go burn down some grand nationals with your tubo Delta 88 land barge!!
Later Mark B.

------------------

Old 11-22-2000, 11:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I never said they can't be built up! Just go ahead and try to Bore one... They have to use stroker kits to get bigger... I have a lot of friends with ls1 f-bodys and they do run great. If you really want a new motor in an old car, buy a Chevelle...

Old 11-26-2000, 07:07 PM
Suspended

A 6.2 GM diesel? C'mon, guys. That thing's a bigger piece of crap than the Olds 350 diesel. At least, with bigger head bolts and improved head gaskets, the Olds 350 can be rebuilt to be reliable.

If the 6.2 isn't breaking cranks every 6 months, then it's cracking cylinder heads between the valves.

No thanks!

Old 11-27-2000, 08:13 PM

scott, the later 6.2's were a decent engine. all the 5.7 olds engines were junk. you might find 1 out of a 1000 that ran 100,000 with no problems. the 85 and up 6.2's that we sold had no major mechanical problems, the early ones did have bottom end problems.mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-28-2000, 06:17 PM

Mrgto

Just read this thread. It's not something I'd do, but it's YOUR car. Do what ever you want. If you are trying to get everybody to agree on something, on this board you are going to wait a long time. It'll be somewht of a challange, but when you get it done, you can say "I did it!".

Cruiser one other thing the engine shares with a 350 Chevy is the bore spacing. Other than that, you are right. There is no simularities other than cu in. So it is truly a "corporate" engine and not a "Chevy" engine now.

Now the Northstar engine idea, hummm.

Ed

Old 02-18-2003, 06:04 PM

MrGTO. I have been looking for any information on this for a while now. What started (like you) as an idea for a fuel injected 455, has now changed to a late model LS1 and tranny swap. The fuel injection notion came from my need for more reliability in my GTO, which I want to be my daily driver. When I blew my 455, and realized (like you) what a fuel injected 455 would cost to build from scratch, I decided to look else where. Realizing that most LS1's with minor mods could eat my descently modded LT1 95 TA alive daily, moved me in that direction. Sure its not a torque monster, but LS1's have balls right out of the box, and with a little work will be a dead reliable and powerfull motor. I think that a mix of a classic with new technology will be a beautiful thing, even if the LS1 is, as so many say in this post, "ugly".

Needless to say the 99 LS1 doesn't look that bad on the shop floor right now, but the big hole between the fenders of my 69 GTO does. Since I have not really found any information on this swap yet the learning curve will start in the next week or so. MrGTO, its your car and you should do what you want. I hope this has encouraged you to go ahead and be original, and if you could send me an email with the chevelle guys address I would appreciate it.

nmarten@illinoisalumni.org

I am already preparing for the close minded "pure pontiac" hate mail I will surely recieve for this.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:42 AM

Who needs fuel injection for a more reliable motor? I had injectors go bad. It is a machine and will brake with time. I drove my GP alot in high school and never had a problem with the carb. Now the trany, well that is another story along with the tires

Do what you want it is your car but I would rather see a ratty old Pontiac motor in a Pontiac than some redone Chevy, I meen corporate motor. It was after all designed for the Corvette making it a Chevy?

Old 02-20-2003, 09:15 PM

Dude,
Go for it! I cant wait to see pix and hear status reports on how the LS1 works out. As for the Whiners F- them.
Just remember it is YOUR car, Build it the way You want to.It is also Your dollers being spent not theirs.Until a whiner funds YOUR project their 2 cents dont mean sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chuck Zeek
76 Trans Am 496 Chevy Powered
and Loving it!

Old 02-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To paraphrase Charley The Tuna stuff: It sounds like "going down to the price instead of living up to a standard". That said, I agree that this is Amerka! Do whatever you want! It's your money!

Old 02-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it would be a killer swap.

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 02-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could find what you needed info-wise at this guys site:

1988 Monte Carlo LS1 Swap

He's got a similar configuration to your car and has completed the swap. Now running 12's and getting 428/400 HP/TQ to the rear wheels. Holy crap!

He has a lovely "Swap cost data" sheet outlining the money spent to swap the stock engine and tranny in PROPERLY. Much was custom. He finished just short of $10,000.

I've seen swap mounts offered for other body styles. around $200 You can figure you'll have $6-7000 in the engine and tranny alone.

It would be a neat swap but you will pay for it. If you are looking for performance for dollar ratio, a 455 Pontiac with a custom MPI intake will be WAY cheaper, and easier. Make more power and be more exotic.

The LS1 cannot make up for the price difference in MPG. ever. Weight difference is not worth worrying over after you put E-heads on a traditional Poncho. A 6 speed tranny costs the same for either setup. I can't find any real sellable benefit to the LS1 swap, other than to do it, be different, bragging right, or novelty. I think LS1 are respectable and an LS1 swap very cool, but for now not quite worth it.

As much as I hate to be the one to point this out I will. On the Chevy/Corporate arguement about the LS1, the LS1 in my opinion is a corporate engine belonging to all GM marks. BUT... the LS1 does have a CHEVY bellhousing pattern. Compelling evidence that it is a Chevy engine. Maybe because it's the only V8 pattern they have now? dunno. The Caddy Northstar doesn't use a Chevy bellhousing pattern. Cringe

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
1968 Firebird Coupe
350 HO
TH350
3.23's
PS, PDB and Deluxe interior

GPE Starter MSD billet
Rodney Red Rad MSD 6a

Currently apart for suspension upgrades.

Long Branch Manifolds
TH350
3.23 open BP axle
PS, PDB and Deluxe interior

GPE Starter ... Small body HEI ... 2.5" Pypes w/X-pipe ... Ruggles Qjet

14.1 @ 99.1
Old 02-24-2003, 12:59 PM

The only thing worse than a 6.2 diesel is a 6.5 diesel and from My friend who owns a GM dealership the only thing worse than a 6.5 is the new duramax. He sold one to a guy from hear . he had the truck less than a week and left for Daytona. The alison trans went out on the way down. He got back as far as St louis and the Duramax took a crap. Ask Beswick about his new Duramax and he will tell you what a piece of crap it is.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:21 PM

The best thing about building a car is you can build it the way you want.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:25 PM

I knew it was a Chevy motor.

I think K-mart is having a "Blue light special" on them Chevy motors. LOL j/k

Old 02-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What does a Duramax have to do with an LS1 swap into a GTO?

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 03-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LS1's are slow...

97 Trans Am WS6
Best ET: 12.13
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455
Best ET: 12.02
Best MPH: 112

Old 03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a link that might help.

70 Chevelle LS1 swap

Andrew

Project GatTagO

Old 03-11-2003, 08:20 PM

After looking at that site I do have to ask the ones that have done a swap like this, Is it actually cheeper?
It also looked like alot of modification was needed to the car. I will give you that it is not another Chevy motor though just for the fact they were putting it in a Chevy and had to modify the car a lot!!!! .