WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now wait a minute.........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R
You are a true visionary....
Somebody has to be...It certainly isn't Beavis and Lutzhead.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First impression was not retro enough, instead styling cues were thrown together haphazardly...

Looking at above silver colored artwork
-Grill/frontal treatment looks more like early 90's Mitsubishi Diamonte than '68-69 GTO.
-Continuous high peak line down the side... 04 back Mustang. Needs more curves.
-Side window frame shaping... Cavalier & other boring GM crapboxs.
-4 doors??? Just because Dodge did it to the Charger... must GM follow suit???

Going to build it, Pontiac... better pull your head out!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Must be a decoy thrown at us from GM. They are trying to keep us confused as to what is on the drawing board. Surely they can do better than this. Had a nine-year-old kid tell me the front of the Mustang looks as if it's going to cry. The front of this looks like a silly smirk.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3
Must be a decoy thrown at us from GM. They are trying to keep us confused as to what is on the drawing board. Surely they can do better than this. Had a nine-year-old kid tell me the front of the Mustang looks as if it's going to cry. The front of this looks like a silly smirk.
That's appropriate....since they get smoked by the 05 GTO in pretty much every performance category (or so I've heard)
Old 08-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The article in Autoweek says that this picture is LESS sleek, wide, low and appealing than the actual spy shot this rendering was based on. Kinda like the opposite then of the Crapstang concept to what is on the street today! Bwhahahah.

After spending hours trying to get into the back of my 04 over its life, I like the idea of a suicide no handle 4 door version.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

An Edmonds article today:
Chevy Camaro Concept Slated for '06 Detroit Show, '09 Debut
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106732
Old 08-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

And why did the moderator move this out of the lobby? I believe a lot of us who don't regularly peruse the 2004 GTO forum may like to see what GM is looking at for a new platform for Pontiac (and Chevy) in the future.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just as long as any Ford post gets moved to iloveford.com, I'm happy with the decision to move your post here.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=red70goat]
Quote:

No 2007 GTO? A four door GTO?....I guess I was wrong on that one also..NOT. I should have bet all the GM Monaro Glee Club owners a $100.00. I'd be rich.
There will be a 2007 GTO. There will NOT be a 2007 Monaro. The difference being the Monaro uses the LS1 and the GTO uses the LS2. Holden has a deal with HSV that for now they get exclusive rights to use the LS2. They cannot use the LS1 because it is too expensive to certify for the few monaros they sell in OZ and it doesnt pass for Europe.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=cjwilson99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red70goat

There will be a 2007 GTO.
Time will tell. Given the failure of the 04/05 and the Mitsubishi inspired renderings of the 08 I doubt we'll see an 07. If there is one it will be an option to another model such as the G6 or something really spiffy like that. It's too bad, I think this car could have been a success had it been named something other than a GTO. I actually saw a torrid red 04 the other day. It sounded good and actually didn't look that bad rumbling along 13th East through Sandy / Draper...The owner obviously knew enough to keep it clean and subtle: Plenty of tire, no p-diddy wheel treatment or geeky autorice package...it just didn't look like a GTO. I've seen 4 in this town: Red, Silver, Black and Yellow. I think they look best in red or black. Silver is just too generic and in yellow given the bulbous exterior of this car, it looks a giant beach ball. If some fatter meats could be tucked under the rear fenderwells, as in a pro-street look, the back end would look really bitc*in' sans spoiler. Hell, I might even buy one then.

Last edited by red70goat; 08-05-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Senior Chief

Like you said, time will tell. As for the 04/05 being a success, well the '04s are gone (at least in my area) and the '05s outsold the '04s...still a few to be had be the pickin's are slim. It is a limited-production car, and it's got the industry on its ear...How many articles and TV spots have you seen comparing this or that with the new GTO? I've seen a lot...people have taken notice, and the intent of this car was to draw attention to Pontiac. I like my jellybean as does everyone who sees it. I do agree that silver looks a bit generic, but those owners are going for the sleeper look. Black, red and yellow look awesome, yellow being the fastest color and good for 10 extra hp. BTW, I had my rear GTO insert blacked out...looks much better than the stock gray IMO.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:10 AM

Well since the 05 is growing on me and I haven't hasd anything negative to say lately that looks like butt. I don't see that it resembles a mustang if thats what they were going after. I do like the styling cues from the old goat. It does have potential but it needs some work. And maybe a 4 door? Maybe they can add a column shift also.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Jeff R] BTW, I had my rear GTO insert blacked out...looks much better than the stock gray IMO.[QUOTE]

..agreed.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM

it was said they were killing off this platform in 07 if im not mistaken so there probably wont be anymore after that. gm killed its next gto platform off so.....
Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest69
it was said they were killing off this platform in 07 if im not mistaken so there probably wont be anymore after that. gm killed its next gto platform off so.....
Unless GM starts with a clean slate there will be no GTO in 07 or thereafter for that matter. At best it will be an option to another model. The current format may be indeed what the GTO would have evolved to ( except for the Rosanne Barr inspired hind quarters! ) had it stayed in production from '74, but clearly shortcuts were taken to get this car to production early.Beavis and Lutzhead sealed the GTOs fate by melding a pudgey import with a GTO name plate. Having a Mitsubishi inspired 4 door 2008 isn't going to help matters any either.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With what seems to be selling best these days, I doubt that it's possible that a GTO with broad appeal will ever be produced. Some of the best selling (currently at least) vehicles are some that I have no interest in whatsoever. They may boast impressive performance stats but the sheetmetal is stamped the wrong way for me. There will definitely be another iteration of the GTO. Who will follow it is anybody's guess. I say let's just see what it amounts to, and if we like it, show the money. If not, there are other choices. My only real hope is that it doesn't become a "trendy, fad" car.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Senior Chief

what do you think about this GTO Concept: http://www.pfyc.com/gto/newgto.jpg
Old 08-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Chief

Personally, I like the look of that body, but not the nose. But a GTO to me should have a sleeper look about it, and that concept looks almost too sporty/racey. If it's going to be an in-your-face muscle car, I really like the concept drawings Mr_GTO posted a while back...the ones that look more like a modernized '67(I think they drawings were yellow). I'd buy one of those in a split second.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 PM

That design is just as out there as the current design is bland. MIDDLE ground anyone???

There has to be a way to capitolize on current design sensibility, and still be retro enough to be cool. I despise that our cars have come to look like BMW's(the grill is even a near direct copy) and wish GM would wake up. BUT...I will hang on to my 06 while I wait for them to get it right. On the new design suggestion... I do not like the square angles. They dont invoke GTO to me at ALL. GTO says COKE bottle shape. Curvy like a well built woman. NOT square angular and chunky like some heiffer at 2 am waiting for her next victim at the local watering hole!!! Sorry to any cows I may have offended! I love animals...they're delicious!!!

It's VOLUME your needin'!!!

I like to Turn it up to 11...Nigel Tufnel...Spinal Tap