Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
Very easy to say that it is easier with a Pontiac than a sbc. The sbc has a side exit just under the valve cover, just barely above the spark plugs. Now you can either burn the valve covers or the plug wires. With the Pontiac,You don't have either issue. As for no room, that's bunk. There is plenty of room. With a twin tubo set up, you should be placing them forward of the engine right? Or else on top, which while making only a couple hp better, won't allow you to do any thing on top (regardless of engine brand) if you say break a rocker arm. Sounds like you are looking for an off the shelve header arrangement of which there is no such thing for either type engine with turbo set ups. If you want manifolds, that's easy, just turn them around from normal, but why would you? On your style frame, The forward cylinders are very easy to run the tubes from, even easier than the set back sbc. The second pair of cylinders would turn down at a slight angle while going forward. Same with the rear middle cylinders. The rear tube can come forward after dropping down. Those would run along the frame rails with a slight bend back toward the block after it gets under the middle cylinders tubes. Not hard, just some thought and a little time. And it is alot cleaner looking than any sbc ever could be. Do you need me to do them for you?
well, still not sure im buying it. still seems alot easier to run a SBC and buy some spark plug insulators to protect the plug wires and fab up a simple heat shield in between the turbo and valve cover to keep it from cooking the valve cover and oil inside. (i would rather run manifolds that come up rather than to the front of the motor) I dont want to worry about having to remove the power steering pump and/or cooking my accessories.
I see the stainless steel manifolds all day long on Ebay. (i know that the quality is questionable) im even trying to design a TT SBC setup using cheap cast iron ram horns that you can get anywhere for 25 bucks. if one cracks, buy another. Thats not something you can do with a custom made Pontiac turbo manifold.

as for fabbing up manifolds for a Pontiac im pretty sure i have the mechanical aptitude to do it...it looks challenging to get the primaries to wrap around the mounting bolts etc..i just dont have the time or desire to dedicate to it.

Besides, i still dont see an answer to how im going to run the 3 inch down pipe on the drivers side if i were to run twins on the Pontiac.

i appreciate your time....my mind is still open...there is still time to save this old Pontiac. lol

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 07-02-2007, 02:25 AM
Suspended

You don't need a custom manifold. Just turn the stockers around on the other side of the engine. As for the rams horns being 25 bucks, I know a whole bunch of chevy guys that would love to hear that cheap price!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

tried that with the pontiac manifolds and realized that it cant be done...and then later i thought i could..i would go out there and take some measurements and convince myself it cant be done that way...then later i would think it can and i would go back out there only to convince myself once again it cant be done. it dumps right onto/next to the steering box and other linkage on the drivers side. plus you would have to make a pretty sharp U bend to get up to the turbo on the passenger side. that providing you wanted to mount it to the motor and not the chassis

sorry, they are 27.50 not 25 but i doesnt look like you can simply flip those and slap a turbo on top. looks like it would rub some spark wires and the manifold doesnt appear to be far enough way from the head to not interfere with the valve cover when flipped. now im thinking simply weld a mild steel T3 flange directly to the flange on some shorty block huggers and flip them upside down

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXHAU...QQcmdZViewItem

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Last edited by 6D6GOAT; 07-02-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 AM

6d6GOAT, I pilfered this pic off of here for my screensaver. It was someone on here's motor, I believe it's a 455tt. I'm not sure who it was, but the title of the pic is Flyer Engine Front. You should be able to talk to them to see what was involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flyer%20Engine%20Front.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	97051  

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 07-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Suspended

6D6GOAT, Do you already have that sbc engine? Sounds like it the way you are describing things. I do think with a little work, the Pontiac can and i.m.o. should be the turbo engine of choice. As I has told you earlier, you have an absolutely beautiful ride and I'd love to see you keep it all Pontiac.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mikey, i have talked to 455turbo and been to his site. he sells manifolds but they are a little out of my range.

Go Quick.

no i dont have the SBC. Ill do alot of research before id take that plunge. I do have some good news for you. Im getting ready to buy an old VW micro bus. im sure that will take alot of the free time that i was going to put into the SBC conversion. More importantly, i took some pics at the local cruise in of SBC's in A bodies and it still looks like i ll have a little trouble with the drivers side down pipe so that took a little wind out of my sails.

For now it will remain a supercharged PONTIAC. I just wish i could get this dam TBI fuel injection dialed in.

thanks again.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Suspended

6D6GOAT, In the future, there is another option for us with the CV-1 heads and convertible exhaust ports. Oh, the future has arrived.