Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 05-21-2011, 12:58 AM

Hey Sam, how did you get the light switch to work?

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 05-21-2011, 03:56 AM

WOW!!!! Now THAT is what I want my 68' to look like inside!! This car is amazing!! When I did the insides of my 68', I was thinking the same concept. To heck with original. Make it comfortable, more "Up To Date" and custom. I used bucket seats from a Ford Tempo, parts of the dash I cut from sheet metal (bent, shaped and painted), the dash pad I also made (from wood) and then padded it and covered with leather, the inside door panels I recovered, the console is from a 3rd generation T/A, so on and so on. My problem- It still isn't comfortable (or even close to as nice as yours) lol.... All I can say is WOW!! My biggest complaint with mine is space. The seats sit too high and my steering wheel sits right on my legs pretty much. Once I get my new engine and tranny installed, I'll probably go back to work on the insides again. Looking at THIS car shows me how much better I should have done on mine the first time!!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Mikey,

I used the GTO body harness, so it just a matter of wiring the lights.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post
Hey Sam, how did you get the light switch to work?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Blayde View Post
WOW!!!! Now THAT is what I want my 68' to look like inside!! This car is amazing!! When I did the insides of my 68', I was thinking the same concept. To heck with original. Make it comfortable, more "Up To Date" and custom. I used bucket seats from a Ford Tempo, parts of the dash I cut from sheet metal (bent, shaped and painted), the dash pad I also made (from wood) and then padded it and covered with leather, the inside door panels I recovered, the console is from a 3rd generation T/A, so on and so on. My problem- It still isn't comfortable (or even close to as nice as yours) lol.... All I can say is WOW!! My biggest complaint with mine is space. The seats sit too high and my steering wheel sits right on my legs pretty much. Once I get my new engine and tranny installed, I'll probably go back to work on the insides again. Looking at THIS car shows me how much better I should have done on mine the first time!!
Thanks, Raven Blayde

Sam

Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

I've seen your car on some other sites and just read the build info you posted here. Great job, love it!!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I followed this build on the ProTouring site. I love everything about it. I think I could tie you up for hours asking "How did you..." questions.

Simpley awsome.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
I've seen your car on some other sites and just read the build info you posted here. Great job, love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I followed this build on the ProTouring site. I love everything about it. I think I could tie you up for hours asking "How did you..." questions.

Simpley awsome.
Thanks, the build just kinda evolved as we went along. Rohrt, ask away. I have nothing to hide and I'm always willing to help someone with their build. That's what I did. So many people helped and gave me ideas. Car guys are the most generous people I know.

Sam

Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhatco View Post
Thanks, the build just kinda evolved as we went along. Rohrt, ask away. I have nothing to hide and I'm always willing to help someone with their build. That's what I did. So many people helped and gave me ideas. Car guys are the most generous people I know.

Sam
Well hear we go then

*With the GTO dash being so deep and having to trim so much off what problems did you encounter with fitting the controls?
*How is the dash anchored to the car? Did you weld tabs in to attach?
*How did you remove and attach the vinyl top to the dash?
*Are the kick panels still remvoable.
*You said you had to loose the GTO dash ducts so do not have any defrost for the windshield?
*How did you install the steering wheel? It doesn't look like it lines up with the dash opening.
*Did you retain the factory cruis control?
* Where you able to use the factory wiring harness?
*What did you do with the air bags?
*How did you mount the front seats?
*Do you have seatbelts for the back seats?
How did you make the door handles work on the front doors?

I'm sure I can think of more later.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this truly is a work of art for sure
nicely done

Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the first I've visited your thread on this build Sam. I'm dumbfounded, amazed, and in awe; all at the same time. And I'm still wiping the drool off my chin and keyboard. LOL

This is one fantastic build. You've done what most of us can only wish we were able to do. If Pontiac was still in buisness, they'd be proud.... or should be proud. My hat is off to you, as you have indeed done a fantastic job. Your car is awesome.

If a calender of PY member's rides can ever be done, yours should be in the mix.... up front.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you tired of fielding compliments yet? Too bad heres another one, youre an artist! Enjoy the pis out of that car! Everything is right about that project.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Sam, as the owner of a 1969 T/A Conv. clone all I can say is my hats off to you, beautifully done.

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you have any backseat room as those seats seem quite a bit "fuller" than the originals, if you don't would you do it the same way again?

Again, great car.

Stan

Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Well hear we go then

*With the GTO dash being so deep and having to trim so much off what problems did you encounter with fitting the controls?
*You said you had to loose the GTO dash ducts so do not have any defrost for the windshield?
*How did you install the steering wheel? It doesn't look like it lines up with the dash opening.

A couple of those really interest me too, specially the one about the steering column/wheel hope you can find time to answer em Sam. that really is one amazing car. I am almost inspired enough to attempt it haha!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by rohrt
Well hear we go then

I had no problems fitting the controls of the GTO dash. Because the GTO dash is much deeper than the 69 dash there is plenty of room for the Vintage Air unit, the Computers, and the relay panel that is normally found in the engine bay of the GTO.
Yes I welded tabs to the firewall and cowl where the frame of the GTO dash wound up and bolted it to the tabs.

The vinyl pad is attached at various points to the substrate with hot glue and screws. I was careful in removing the pad. I also removed the airbag cover and fiber glassed it to the dash pad and smooth it with bondo and recovered with new material
Yes the kick panels are still removable
Yes I do not have any defrost ducts. It's not a problem.
The steering column does line up with the dash. The angle of the pictures make it appear not to. I used the original opening and made some extension brackets out of angle iron to mate the 69 column support to the GTO steering wheel support bracket
Yes I used the GTO cruise control. The box is located behind the driver side fender mounted to the firewall
I used the GTO wiring harness so I could retain as many functions controlled by the GTO BCM. Remember, it does not care what car the electronics are in they are just looking for a 12V source and the proper signals for the instrument cluster and switches
Airbags are eliminated. I didn't want them to go off by accident because I don't have the sensors on the body of the car.
The BMW seats are bolted through the floorboard with grade 8 bolts and structural washers.
I don't have seatbelts in the back as nobody rides back there anyway. That doesn't mean I can't install them I just elected not to.
That was the tricky part. I purchased hotrod door cables from LOKAR with a couple of extra pulleys and routed the steel cable along the inside of the door through two pulleys in a Z configuration in order to get the right direction of the pull on the latch.

Hope this helps.

Sam

Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Hey Sam, as the owner of a 1969 T/A Conv. clone all I can say is my hats off to you, beautifully done.

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you have any backseat room as those seats seem quite a bit "fuller" than the originals, if you don't would you do it the same way again?

Again, great car.

Stan
I would probably make the seat bottoms a little narrower to give some more leg room. Nobody rides in the back anyway.

Sam

Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post

This is the first I've visited your thread on this build Sam. I'm dumbfounded, amazed, and in awe; all at the same time. And I'm still wiping the drool off my chin and keyboard. LOL

This is one fantastic build. You've done what most of us can only wish we were able to do. If Pontiac was still in buisness, they'd be proud.... or should be proud. My hat is off to you, as you have indeed done a fantastic job. Your car is awesome.

If a calender of PY member's rides can ever be done, yours should be in the mix.... up front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Are you tired of fielding compliments yet? Too bad heres another one, youre an artist! Enjoy the pis out of that car! Everything is right about that project.
Thanks guys, yes I'm really enjoying the car. We drove to Cruis'n the Coast in Biloxi last October, to Good Guys in Forth Worth this spring and plan on other trips and shows this season. So far I have over 11,000 miles on the car and it's a blast to drive. It hasnt' left me on the side of the road yet

Sam

Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for following up with those answers Sam!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhatco View Post
Originally Posted by rohrt
Well hear we go then

I had no problems fitting the controls of the GTO dash. Because the GTO dash is much deeper than the 69 dash there is plenty of room for the Vintage Air unit, the Computers, and the relay panel that is normally found in the engine bay of the GTO.
Yes I welded tabs to the firewall and cowl where the frame of the GTO dash wound up and bolted it to the tabs.

The vinyl pad is attached at various points to the substrate with hot glue and screws. I was careful in removing the pad. I also removed the airbag cover and fiber glassed it to the dash pad and smooth it with bondo and recovered with new material
Yes the kick panels are still removable
Yes I do not have any defrost ducts. It's not a problem.
The steering column does line up with the dash. The angle of the pictures make it appear not to. I used the original opening and made some extension brackets out of angle iron to mate the 69 column support to the GTO steering wheel support bracket
Yes I used the GTO cruise control. The box is located behind the driver side fender mounted to the firewall
I used the GTO wiring harness so I could retain as many functions controlled by the GTO BCM. Remember, it does not care what car the electronics are in they are just looking for a 12V source and the proper signals for the instrument cluster and switches
Airbags are eliminated. I didn't want them to go off by accident because I don't have the sensors on the body of the car.
The BMW seats are bolted through the floorboard with grade 8 bolts and structural washers.
I don't have seatbelts in the back as nobody rides back there anyway. That doesn't mean I can't install them I just elected not to.
That was the tricky part. I purchased hotrod door cables from LOKAR with a couple of extra pulleys and routed the steel cable along the inside of the door through two pulleys in a Z configuration in order to get the right direction of the pull on the latch.

Hope this helps.

Sam
Yes, thanks for the reply. Amazing how good it looks.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 PM

AMAZING!!!!!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Senior Chief

Someone just sent me this link...Awesome car...We need to get together and talk...
Link to my current build
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=729998

I want my driveway to look like I'm stuck in the 70's!!!!