Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Senior Chief

Slowly but surely. I popped the windshield out to take a look at the frame. It looks decent enough. No glaring rust underneath the globbed on sealer.

Bryan

Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

whats the original color? It was probably posted but I didnt read everything

1969 firebird, pro touring build. Full Global West suspension 474 Stroker with Molnar Crank and Rods, DCI Ram Air 5 Top end, Holley fuel injection, Vince Janis 200-4R trans

"There is no such thing as too much horsepower"
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparcolt View Post
whats the original color? It was probably posted but I didnt read everything
Original color Solar Red, Red interior and white conv. top.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My car is supposed to be a black top. But it has a real nice white one on it now. Not sure if they are reusable if you take them off. Anyone ever try? I'm going to change mine to black, and won't need this white one. It's like new.

1969 firebird, pro touring build. Full Global West suspension 474 Stroker with Molnar Crank and Rods, DCI Ram Air 5 Top end, Holley fuel injection, Vince Janis 200-4R trans

"There is no such thing as too much horsepower"
Old 01-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparcolt View Post
My car is supposed to be a black top. But it has a real nice white one on it now. Not sure if they are reusable if you take them off. Anyone ever try? I'm going to change mine to black, and won't need this white one. It's like new.
I'm not sure about taking one off and it being suitable for re-use. I suppose it all depends on how easy it comes off. I installed the one my 68 vette.

For the GTO, all I have is the frame and a glass back window. Long ways off from top resto,
Bryan

Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

Messing around with the hidden light assembly. Got all the pieces rounded up and cleaned. Bought a few items that needed to be replaced so I decided to put it back together. I'm going pull it all back off and store it in its own container. Next on the list is starting working on the nose, I've already sand blasted the paint off.

Bryan

Old 03-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Senior Chief

Hello,
Wondering if there is a way to see if this vacuum advance modulator (I think that's what it's called) can be checked out to see if it functions correctly.

Is there a way to test it?

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think you could use a hand vacuum pump (like this) and pump it to see if it moves and holds vacuum?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I would think you could use a hand vacuum pump (like this) and pump it to see if it moves and holds vacuum?

I think I'll try a vacuum pump. I'll borrow my buddies electric pump. Worth a shot to see if the original one still works.

I'm just sorting through the parts and giving them a good cleaning as I go. I decided to see if I had all the front engine pulleys and brackets for the accessories. It's all there.

Now to sort out the top end......

Old 04-04-2015, 04:42 AM
Senior Chief

Old 04-05-2015, 11:55 AM

On the air cleaner
its almost impossible to match the factory black exactly
its a higher gloss than the chassis black and if you look really closely at the orig paint on yours youll find a hint of a steel blue tint
grab a few over the counter high gloss blacks and do a few spay outs to compare to the air cleaner

Old 04-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra96 View Post
On the air cleaner
its almost impossible to match the factory black exactly
its a higher gloss than the chassis black and if you look really closely at the orig paint on yours youll find a hint of a steel blue tint
grab a few over the counter high gloss blacks and do a few spay outs to compare to the air cleaner
The original finish on the chrome lid is too far gone to try to save, so I decide to sand it down and spray black to match the rest of the air cleaner. I'll probably get the original re-chromed later on.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know how I missed this thread over the last year but I'm subscribed. Looks like you are coming along nicely with it.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I don't know how I missed this thread over the last year but I'm subscribed. Looks like you are coming along nicely with it.
Thanks Greg. I'm just gathering all the pieces up and putting them in their proper place to see what I have and what I'll need. Not doing too much on the body yet. My buddy has his 70 Chevelle SS taking up one side of the garage right now. He's doing an LS6 engine build and detailing his engine compartment.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice Bowtie...by the way, congrats on making the wise decision not to use the Buick style 400-4 sticker on your breather. That one is creative and suits the Poncho much better in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

Well, I did put my 15" wheels and tires on after I sandblasted and painted. Funny how a set of rims and tires will make a car look so much better.

I just run into one problem, one of the rims has the 5" lug pattern
I didn't even check it until I discovered it would not fit

I guess I'm on the hunt for another 15x7 4 3/4 wheel

Anybody need a 15x7 5?

Last edited by bkmont; 08-08-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:22 PM

It looks like a nice car! Do you have any of the books that can decode the data plate? Do you feel comfortable with this level project? If any specific questions, drop me a note or make a post.

Ron

Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beige1968GTO View Post
It looks like a nice car! Do you have any of the books that can decode the data plate? Do you feel comfortable with this level project? If any specific questions, drop me a note or make a post.

Ron
Thanks Ron. I have all the books and the PHS docs for the car. I do feel comfortable tackling the project. It's just going to take awhile. I'm going to chip away until complete.
Bryan

Last edited by bkmont; 08-10-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You got a nice care to rebuild. I also am not sure how I missed this thread. You will find a ton of people to help you. I have the same car except mine was an automatic . It had sat for 15 years before I bought off eBay . What a chance I took but the seller was honest. Over the past two years I have been rebuilding mine a little at a time ( it was all in one piece when I got it) but if you need any picture of any part or how they should look let me know I will send them . Mine is also an ac car very rare option on convertible good luck doug

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD
Old 08-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

Appreciate the well wishes Doug. I'm tackling one piece at a time. Eventually, I'll get her done. Maybe we'll hit the finish line at the same time.

I just started working on the tail lamp housings. The housing is cracked where the bulb sockets attached. I used Q-Bond Epoxy filler to make the repair. Good stuff.
I filled the hole, sanded and re-drilled. I'm going to put new sockets in the holes. Beats spending a few hundred dollars for reproductions. Bryan